Lolita

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by Foreign Flower, Apr 17, 2006.

1. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I think they should ban searching for "David Beckham" in Britain now that he left Europe to play for gringolandia, the traitor! :D

Anyhow, Lolita is an amazing book, probably one of my favourite books of all time. If you like Nabokov I would also recommend "The Defense" and "Invitation to a Beheading".

2. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

I would vote to go even one better and ban David Beckham all together. He won't be missed.

Lolita is on my reading list this year. I didn't know the other 2 books. Good recommendation, Rubin. I will look them up. What's his style like? Is he easy to read, or is he a struggle to start with?

3. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

He's not easy to read... especially in the books I mentioned. Lolita is a tad more global-audience directed, plus it was written both in Russian and English... while The Defense and Invitation to a Beheading were written in Russian and then translated... which makes them a bit odd, like every other translated book, because they loose a lot of their "soul" when translated.

You know, it's like translating Kerouac into another language, it might not loose the plot, but it surely looses the bop...

Anyhow, great books... a bit hard to get into at first, especially Invitation... because it's rather insane... but still, great books.

4. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

all you have to do is go to the homeoffice website and find out. I think the laws would be kept there relating to it but not 100% on that, what I am certain about 100% is that there are certain words and websites that are illegal, and searching for them is a punishable offence.

I will try and find links for you so that you can lick your own shit crock clean

5. L.A.Matthews

L.A.Matthews Senior Member

Please do, because as I was reading Lolita, I probably had done a good dozen or more searches with the word, and yet has any Home Office officials come banging on my door or raiding my house.

Do you even actually live in the UK, or are you some American 'know-it-all' talking out of your arse?

6. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

If you search google video for Lolita, and then sort by views... the one Israeli girl that comes out stripping... I knew her when she was like 8 :D

7. Loveminx

Loveminx Sports Racer

I picked up that book once, but I ended up putting it back down because the content bothered me...it reminded me of so many gross older men/neighbors I used to have...

8. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

Loveminx, there are many ways to tackle your problem. They're both related to strength. The first way to get round it is "strength of mind". You let nothing weaken your line of thought. What you set out to do (i.e. pick up the book, and keep reading it) is beset by various obstacles. You overcome, sidestep, or ignore this obstacles using every resource available to achieve the goal. That is actually the psychopathic way of achieving your goal by ignoring any ethical issue that would have deterred an average mind.

The other way, and by far the most popular, will be to go down the gym. Do a 30 min-40 min warm-up (treadmill, bike, rowing, etc.) followed by some weights, alternating between different days exercising on one day chest and arms, the next: back and shoulders, and the third: triceps and legs. Then continues that cycle, with one day rest a week.

After a couple of months you will not only be able to hold a book without putting it down, but probably 4 or 5 books at the same time. In fact, you'll be able to walk into a library and people will marvel the way you're holding the whole Hemmingway collection without dropping it.

Eventually you'll be able to hold the entire Encyclopaedia Britannica with your glutes, an even Arnie will have to bow to your intellect.

9. Loveminx

Loveminx Sports Racer

I am actually able to hold a few books at one time!
    Yes, Yes, I know...pure natural talent.

This book just seemed extra heavy on account of all the perverts that have tried to get me into bed during my nymphet stage. But I plan to work on it.

I think if I follow your rigorous work schedule, I'll be able to lift it again in a few years and drag it all the way home! That's if my back doesn't give out...
    And maybe actually read more than a few chapters!

Thank you for your support, White Scorpio.
    Sine Cera.

10. L.A.Matthews

I try to encourage myself to read books that I don't agree with; it gives a totally different perspective on the book, yet still makes it an enjoyable read.

For example, I would love to read Mein Kampf. Not because of the Anti-Semitic and pure Nationalist content, but for educational and knowledgeable reasons. Yet with that book, I'd try to read it in an unbiased way - trying not to, at least view, it in a 'Hitler-is-a-monster-PERIOD' way: I find that too simple to say.

But yes, I would give it a read. It's a fantastic book and perhaps will give you a different persepective on it, maybe it won't? It's worth the chance, right?

Oh, and by the way: Nabakov doesn't go into too much detail about the sex, if that's what you're worried about.:)

11. jwalk4bama

jwalk4bama Member

Lolita i feel was a great book in the aspects of literature , the way it was written was quite technical and it was a little slow but i think that mostly had to do with how explainatory it was, though i felt that Humbert was maybe just a sick man with great vocabulary and symbolism, i dont believe in age barriers but my man , kinda came off al little obsessive maybe he was just a pedophile with beautiful word choice and a nice story good book but my mom didnt approve

12. prettyprincess

prettyprincess Member

i have read it and i found it a deeply emotive book...it was great! one of the best reads ever. The disturbing thing about the book is that you sympathise with the pedophile.

13. myself

myself just me

Nicely put.

14. lostinanovel

lostinanovel Member

Nabakov may be my favorite author and I like Speak Memory best, however Lolita is a true work of art. His ability to use humor to keep you from accepting the horror of what is happening is wonderful. When his first tours Lolita's home as a potential renter of the extra bedroom, he is a pedophile about to invade an innocent child's home. This is a parent's nightmare but you completely ignore that normal response because you are laughing as Humbert ridicules Lolita's mom. In fact, when he finally accepts the room "because of the promise of your cherry pies", you are actually in on the predator's joke. genius.

I should add that Pale Fire is also wonderful.

15. L.A.Matthews

One thing I didn't grasp was the humour. Not that I didn't find it funny, but the fact that I couldn't really sense any humour in it at all. Perhaps it's just me, or perhaps I'm a humourless bastard.:tongue:

16. lostinanovel

lostinanovel Member

his humor is a bit sick. i noted the "cherry pie" comment previously. he also has Lolita's mother killed just about as she is going to expose him. nabokov is playing around as he does that...

17. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

You guys think Lolita is a classic, give Caldwell's Tobacco Road a spin.

18. Namaste

Namaste Member

I just started this book and I'm only on chapter 6 and I love it. I find it really interesting.... I don't know exactly what that says about me, but I think it's an amazing book so far.