Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov

Discussion in 'Erotic Books' started by alex714, Feb 19, 2005.

1. AriLew

AriLew Member

I'd classify this more as an ingenius work of literature.
    Nabokov's prose is mere poetry.

2. okeefe

okeefe :>

from the above Wikipedia article..

"One of the novel's early champions, Lionel Trilling, warned in 1958 of the moral difficulty in interpreting a book with so eloquent and so self-deceived a narrator: 'we find ourselves the more shocked when we realize that, in the course of reading the novel, we have come virtually to condone the violation it presents [...] we have been seduced into conniving in the violation, because we have permitted our fantasies to accept what we know to be revolting.' "

Nabokov is an amazing writer, and this is a superb example of his writing. However, the relationship between Humbert and Lolita was a love affair only in the eyes of the Humbert character. Throughout the novel, the Lolita character was constantly crying, trying to escape, and avoiding his sexual attention.

3. AriLew

AriLew Member

Indeed. A love story! gasp...Nobokov's carefully chosen words that serve as Humbert's narrative to the courtroom (YES, the COURTROOM!) create a feeling of sympathy in the reader. Even though we know that what he's doing is morally wrong, we can't help but be emotionally manipulated by his powerful words of "love" and the reciprocity of Lolita's love.

Well, would you want a statutory rape charge?

4. lucy_diamond

lucy_diamond Member

(sorry for up-ing this topic, i just have to say something about 'lolita'!)

i read 'lolita' a year ago. i found it one day in my house and said to myself 'ohw, i must, must read this!' and i did, of course [which i'm planing to do again, but a friend of mine is having trouble giving back my book - i borrowed her this book shortly after i read it. you think she read it by now? 'it's so difficult to read' - she says. no, she didn't read the book (i so don't understand people, who's having trouble reading one bloody book!)]
    back on topic. i read it in one breath. it's one of those books you can't stop reading.
    i would recommend it to anyone. it's just one of the books you have to read.
    :)

5. Jack_Glycon

Jack_Glycon Member

Lolita is a great book, but I prefer someof Nabokov's lesser known works....

6. Bocks

Bocks Senior Member

You know what's REALLY amazing? Nabokov's biography. MAN! He was a GENIUS. He had this huge fixation with butterflies...I wish I could remember the whole story. It's REALLY impressive.

7. schmetterling

schmetterling Guest

Oh my, Lolita is an amazing amazing book, probably the most beautifully written piece of literature I've ever read. I've never read any of Nabokov's other works, but I certainly intend to.

And NO WAY should it be defined as erotica!

8. hannahannahannah

hannahannahannah What's a Palindrome?

I grew up with the film being the norm on TV from time to time. I never read the book but have always been fascinated by the story line and all the feelings it evokes. Would those of you who've read the book say the film is up to par (the original with Sue Lion, James Mason and Shelley Winters) ? There is no court-room scene in the movie, so I'm thinking I should get the book to complete my picture of the story.

I've watched the movie countless times, and now own the DVD. If this thread was moved to erotica, I can see why. It's not hard core, but it is erotic in it's way (speaking of my movie experience only). I know I developed a Lolita complex of sorts from my exposure to the film during formative years.

I remember a day, probably my first viewing of the film - when I didn't know why "Camp Climax for Girls" was so funny to my parents. lol

[​IMG]

9. JamaicanTobacco

JamaicanTobacco Member

So good I named my dog Lolita, as it turns out she is a nymphette.

10. seraphina

seraphina Member

one of my favorite authors!

lolita is heartbreaking and BEAUTIFULLY written..

11. isoisidorus

isoisidorus Member

imo, being kind is the most important quality a person can have.
    other than being loving, of course.
    ps, Nabokov's earlier attempt at a lolita story was when he was living in Paris- the plot is short and hilarious, or comical, or both.
    "a streetcar named desire? hahaha. oh, no.

12. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Not a very erotic book, really.

Great book. A bit too wordy though. Definitely worth it if you like dark humor, and have some menial amount of patience (I don't, but I still made it through). If you aren't as big on dark or literary humor, I'd recommend you just watch the movie.

13. isoisidorus

isoisidorus Member

coming from a butterfly, i guess that is a compliment (to Nabokov).

14. michaelh

michaelh Member

It was ok but it drags on a bit

15. Supersonic

Supersonic Member

God, i've put this on my list of books to read soon! a;slkfadk i can't wait! I'm sure i'll love it.

16. CrabbyPaws

CrabbyPaws Member

It is one of my favourite books, not in a sexual way, it is just written so amazingly. You must read it.

17. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

about desire and desire's object and can one ever obtain the object of desire, and if so is it even the object desired