Lobster

Discussion in 'Seafood' started by headymoechick, Jan 17, 2005.

1. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

I want to make one for my birthday. How are they made? I have a general idea, but I would appreciate it if someone had a good recipie to share.

2. mingodrake

mingodrake Member

I LOVE lobster...
    wonder if you can grill em?

I have seen em cooked and its mostly boiling them alive with crab boil till they turn bright red. Being a peacefull hippie type I dont like to see it BUT I eat em so it would seem wrong to hide from the way they are cooked up. At least in backyards that I have seen.

3. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

...i hear they scream when you plunge them into the water

4. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

scream???

oh no! do they really?

and I don't want to cook them with thier heads on

I don't like to see anyhting looking at me that i'm going to eat!

5. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

you could make the lobster tails if you so desire....i do believe they sell just the lobster tails...that way you wouldn't have to deal with the screaming....and the head still being on....

6. Jean22

Jean22 Member

all u do is boil them, then take them out of the shell.
    cut it up into pieces and pan fry with butter or garlic butter, then u add cream to it with salt and peper, heat it up that way, doens't take long then u can eat with potatoes and veggies as a meal, or u can put it on bread as a hot lobster sandwich

i'm from a lobster community, and no they don't scream! put the lid on them and u don't even need to look at them.

7. tuatara

tuatara Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

to cook lobster ,use table salt ..one cup per 10 pounds of lobster ,using a large pot with a cover ........drop the lobster in the water when the water has reached a boil .boil for 22 minutes .........then drain and chill the lobster .........best eaten chilled ..that is the way to get the taste ...warm lobster is bland .......and no lobsters do not scream and they feel no pain ...they are incapable of feeling pain ..like most fish

8. JazzMama

JazzMama Member

9. cousinit

cousinit Member

i just boil them whole, then put bit garlic butter on when Im eating it.

in the body, the red stuff is the roe (eggs), and the green stuff is the tamali (liver) both are verry good.

oh, they dont screem when you boil them, the noise is from steem escaping there bodies as they start to cook. If you want to kill them fast, an ice pick driven between the two eyes with hammer will do the trick.

10. sourdiesel06

sourdiesel06 Member

Any one had lobster rolls on here? I used to live in CT and I honestly think that I miss lobster rolls more than anything else about the East coast.

11. GHOSTCRAB

GHOSTCRAB Banned

The lobster roll is one of the true glories of shoreline dining.Steam 3 one and a quarter pound lobster and pick out the meat,then cut into chunks no smaller than three quarters inch.Toss the lobster with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice in a bowl.Add a half a cup of mayonnaise and stir.Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.Don't use to much.Refrigerate for up to 4 hours if not using salad right away.Heat a cast-iron griddle over medium heat and use top-split hot dog buns,grilling the crusty top and bottom,not the interior. Open the buns and spoon in the lobster salad,heaping it high. Sprinkle lightly with snipped chives or chopped parsley for color(optional). www.mainelobstercoop.net www.harborfish.com www.stoningtonseafood.com www.trentonbridgelobster.com

12. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I've never prepared lobster but it sure is good to eat.... yummmmm...

13. philly29

philly29 Member

• 2 lb. lobster
    • 3 tablespoons butter
    • Salt and pepper
    • Lemon juice
    Instructions

1. Remove lobster meat from shell and chop slightly.
    2. Melt butter and add lobster.
    3. Season with salt and pepper.
    4. Serve garnished with lobster claws.

14. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

Lobsters are best cooked alive. We like to buy smaller ones (about 2 lbs) and put them in cold water in the pressure cooker. Close the lid, bring them up to presure and cook for about 2 minutes. If your cooking them in boiling water tie them up with string so you don't get splashed. Put the cooked lobster face up on a cutting board and, with a very sharp, tough knife, split it in two from head to tail. Serve with hot garlic-lime butter. Keep the shells and any odd bits; with these you can make an absolutely delicious bisque (you can also use shrimp heads and/or skins). This way you get twice the value for your money out of your lobster (or shrimp).

15. dreadlocksftw

dreadlocksftw Visitor

I'd just like to point out that some things said earlier in this thread are pure bullshit.

1) Do not cook a lobster of any size for 22 minutes, that is far too long and will make them taste disgusting. Cook for twelve-15 minutes.

2) Lobsters are not sentient. Their brains are tiny in comparison to their body mass, and the only sentient creatures are humans, certain birds, whales, dolphins, and primates. Any other animals does not know that it even exists. Also, there is no proof that lobsters can feel pain.

16. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

First pour boiling water over the live lobsters and let it steep for a minute or two. Then remove the partially cooked meat from the shell and poach it in butter.

17. Scratched

Scratched Members

passed a Red Lobster restaurant today, have been craving Lobster Pizza ever since.