living by anothers leave

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by willpower, Jan 1, 2005.

1. oldwolf

oldwolf Waysharing-not moderating Super Moderator

Cobbed cottage,

Been planning on building but finances are too low to guarantee I'll be able to get it moving this year.... time will tell

2. cobcottage

cobcottage Member

ero-There is actually a book on building a cob hottub out there somewhere.

Thanks for inviting me:)I am pretty sure I'll be able to make it to Will's because I'm moving to southern Maine. I really need to see how people put foundations in as that is one of the hardest parts of building a house. I learned basic construction of a house and how to put on a roof this summer. I saw how many problems can occur if a roof is even slightly off and that was a bit worrisome. We were lucky we just happened to have a professional roofer there.

I guess problems are how you look at it as well. Some houses you can build are more fixable than others. I love Tony Wrenche''s roundhouse-

http://website.lineone.net/~tonywrench/index.htm

All he does for a foundation is put water proof plastic on the ground. He build his house so it WOULD degrade over time, however. But he's not paying rent in the interim, so I guess it's a fare enough trade-off.

See you guys, off to finish packing:)

:)

3. erowid

erowid Member

I jsut know it couldn't be attached to a building though for the permeable nature of the cob would cause the straw within the walls to deteriorate making the structure itself quite a deal more unstable, I guess if you built it right though it might stay stable for a good while without affecting the structure. I could only see doing it if you kept it seperate from anything structural, and even then the tub itself wouldn't have a very long life to it, I wonder how they pull it off.

Thats crazy you mention that thing about the plastic I was trying to think of ways to get around the foundation just earlier today and I just thought about the possibility of throwing the cob straight in the ground surrounded by an impermiable layer. It doesn't seem like a bad idea if you use a rather durable sheeting. I bet he'll still get quite alot of years out of his walls with that method though.

4. cantshutmeup

cantshutmeup Banned

you can always solidify the ground to a concrete like state using a mixure of lime and quartz mixed with your soil... the lime and soul combo creates a hardening like pertrification and soil is the medium for the catalyst... well not soil but bentonite witch is found in most soils! oh by the way this is willpower i was banned for speaking my mind in a womens issue post and magie sugar put her 2 cents in and i gave her a peice of my mind and well her pride couldnt take it and she banned me from the forums... naturally i signed up under a different screename... and will continue to do so as necessary... i guess the only problem with a free speech forum is that your speech isnt free if it doesnt coincide with the thoughts of the moderator!

5. erowid

erowid Member

Indeed, theres always gotta be one, bloody selfrighteous feminists. Historical opression of women was a bad thing don't get me wrong, but the only way to end the cycle is to balance not backlash like you have the right to cause no one does. I did like that dramaslut point u made my moms a pretty hardcore one of those. Still I was wondering about that shipping issue though...

6. cobcottage

cobcottage Member

The tub is made of metal in the hot tub book as well- linky

Here is an idea from a massage studio- link

I also visited this one house in Oregon that had a spa made of rocks.

Will-Much love. I wished they had realized how much you are a member of this community. :(

7. erowid

erowid Member

Sign The Unban Willpower Petition Under Smoke Signals!