living and working together full-time

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by cynthy160, Sep 15, 2013.

1. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

Some people manage to do this well. I'm referring to living together and also working full-time together in the same area for years or decades. It can wear on a relationship though for many people.

Married couples in entertainment seem to be able to do it ok. Paul and Linda McCartney managed to do it for a couple decades, rarely being away from each other during that time. Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme were another example. Couples who run their own business from their home together manage to do it.

Do you think you would have the wherewithal to handle such an arrangement? Have you done it?

2. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I backpacked with some of my girlfriends so we were literally together for 24/7. Might explain why I never had a relationship that lasted more than 6 months.

3. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

I couldn't do it. I love my wife but our marriage would have lasted if we were together all the time.

4. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Personally I would not choose to do so. While it is great to be with a partner I also think people in general need interaction with many people to stay content and mentally stimulated.

5. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

I think its unwise to work or run a business together. You'll always end up fighting.

6. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

I think it depends on the type of personality you have and how you handle your business. Each person needs to have an area where they reign supreme control due to having their own strengths acknowledged. I think with the kind of work I do, it might be really necessary for me to work with someone I'm in a relationship with. I've just started doing this for a few months and it works really well with my personality. With some types of work you need the involved support of the person closest to you.

ETA: I don't think you should spend all your time together just 'cause you work together and I don't think many couples who work together are always "together" when they're working.