Little Mosque on the Prairie

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Cate8, Mar 12, 2008.

1. lode

lode Banned

I don't see a problem with that at all. There are beautiful churches and mosques in the world.

I don't see why bigness is emasculating or scary.

2. Vance van vandervan

Vance van vandervan Member

Its a mosque that can hold 70,000 people.

3. Waking Life

Waking Life Cool looking idiot

Not really something I can comment on. I don't know. It could be. It depends on whether you are simply identifying which stereotypes will and won't be accepted by the public, or whether you are speaking of the popular in Hall-ian or Foucaultian terms. They're on the same path, thats for sure, but actually how close in nature, I can't say based on the little you two said. Unfortunately this isn't the place for long discussions. Very unfortunate as I'm sure there are a ton of wicked smart ideas floating around in some of the RT heads out there.

4. lode

lode Banned

So it's the Thunderdome of mosques.

I'm still completly comfortable with it.

5. Waking Life

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

oh no! Like Cloverfield?

6. Vance van vandervan

You are, but even the government in the UK is not comfortable with it.

Its not good manners imo. Its like going over to a friends house with a fishtank containing several small fish, and then tossing a pirahna in it.

7. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

Why exactly?

8. lode

lode Banned

Well I did have a 200 reply thread the other day. Not nearly as relevant, but I assume we can have serious dicussions every now and then aside from the usual butt jokes.

I was speaking of the fact that in media, a very vapid and shallow image of homosexual men is portrayed. An effiminate one dimensional charecter sterotype is portrayed because it's considered less threatening. Somewhat like blackface before everyone got disgusted by that in the 60's or whenever.

However any sort of masculine gay man who had real relationships and any sort of emotional depth wouldn't be accepted in terms of a sit com audience. A nuanced charecter wouldn't be accepted that doesn't conform to a stereotype.

I'm asking is it the same kind of chareterization of muslims? Charecters lacking any nuance and depth and the comedy just being muslims in a small town, and their religion is just used as a simple plot contrivance?

9. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

both valid opinions about the giant mosque. But what about the issue of tolerance, which is what it comes down to with humans. I dont think a giant mosque is something to be afraid of. Even if religion makes me very uneasy in most capacities, its freedom to gather and practice, its freedom for me to not.

10. lode

lode Banned

I find that thinking fairly divisive. People should be aloud to celebrate their faiths in whatever ways they choose. It's sounds much less gaudy then the Vatican.

The UK has free religion engrained into it, even though your senile queen is head of the church, and her son who's flirting with Islam will be the head of it.

11. Unknown American

Unknown American Rogue Capitalist

When I was in Abu Dhabi they had cartoons showing Jews in a less than favorable manner.

Personally I do not care, I think all religions are equally bullshit.

I think differences in people, religions and cultures can be funny.

Getting all PC about things does not let people laugh at the differences.

12. Vance van vandervan

I dont think the royal family has much to do with the church.

13. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

shes not rlly canada's queen anyway.... just a symbol thingy.

14. lode

lode Banned

The queens the head of the Anglican church. And Prince Charles will be the head. He's a Muslim. He might be the Charlemagne of Islam.

15. lode

lode Banned

I wasn't really paying attention to his nationality when I was posting. I thought he was from the UK.

16. lode

lode Banned

I agree with you partially. However, like I was saying with the thing about gays, if it's similar, it just reenforces stereotypes, rather then provides complicated charecters that make people think.

Again, I've never seen the show.

17. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

Prince Charles is a muslim? Wow, thats something I never knew.

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i just watched episode one online. of course it's hard to tell from just the first episode, but i thought they did a decent job of accurately portraying modern american muslims (they weren't that unlike most that i've met anyway) and the way a typical small town would treat them, if for some reason an entire congregation of muslims was actually in a small american town...

i don't see it being on american tv anytime soon

19. lode

lode Banned

Well he hasn't publicly converted, Although he has made fairly outrageous statements praising Sharia (which says that apostates from Islam be executed), and the status of women in the Islamic world, and has a panel of 12 Islamic religious advisers.

20. Waking Life

I had to think about that for a second, because on the one hand I know far too many effeminate gays that are going to relate to some of the gay characters they see on television. Plus, outside the comedy genre, there are deep and proud gay characters. On the other hand, there is no doubt that cookie cutter sit coms have to keep their audiences light heartedly laughing. So deconstructing those types of shows will reveal a denotation of gays as pansy men. I don’t know if I’d be comfortable terming that less or more threatening than a normal run of the mill guy that likes bum sex. I would certainly agree if you said those types of characters were encoded, so to illustrate the need to produce a characterization that will fit, generally, within our specific historical site, and within our specific discursive formations and practices, and with particular encoding strategies.

Any other way of communicating such a position would skew the communication process, and produce encoded messages, through the use of characters, that are impossible for the particular audience, in this case sit com audiences, to decode, and hence understand.

Another way of looking at it would be to come at it from a different perspective on humour. It has to do with the way in which humour operates as a palliative force—allowing Westerners to laugh at the things that frighten them, while actually exacerbating the source of that fear (i.e. ignorance of the other). Perhaps we’d be able to talk in terms of ‘threat’ in this sense. I certainly have with respect to the little mosque on the prairie. I’m only hesitant to do so with respect to homosexuals because homosexuality is much more inclusive than Islam is in the sense that there is no real agent for the homosexual, they are allowed to come in any shape and size. Where a muslim is not (necessarily) and is more of a binary figure.