Listerine

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by Primus, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Primus

Primus Member

My friend told me drinking listerine gets you hammered. I know there's alcohol in it, but are there any other ingrediants that could be harmful? And is the alcohol in listerine the kind you can drink?

2. eat_some_LSD

eat_some_LSD Senior Member

Yes, Listerine does contain ethyl alcohol, though very little; I'd recommend sticking to real liquors. I remember someone once telling me their uncle would run Listerine through four slices of bread while he was hard-up in prison, though I can't verify this to be a working procedure myself.

3. Primus

Primus Member

Actually I was reading on their website, and it contains 21% alcohol. I just wanted to know if it was denaturated or something like that, because if it was, it would be really bad. But my friend says it gets you drunk. Does denaturated alcohol get you drunk?

4. Piezoluminescent

Piezoluminescent Banned

You can get drunk off of it... not a great taste.

5. Primus

Primus Member

So there's no bad health effects other than what you'd find in normal alcohol?

6. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

just don't drink it

I'm sure theres something in there you aren't supposed to drink or more people would do it.

Stick to real alcohol

7. NitrousBum

NitrousBum Member

I would imagine that it also contains fluoride, which is not something you want to ingest.

8. Primus

Primus Member

No, not anymore.

http://www.oral-care.com

9. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

The alcohol will be denatured, but that doesn't mean a whole lot unless you know exactly what is was denatured WITH.

Denatured alcohol in the US needs to be made according to one of the "recipes" allowed by the BATF. These are spelled out here:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/27cfr21_03.html

Occasionally you will see a label that lists something like "SD alcohol 40" This stands for "specially denatured, formula 40". There are all kinds of stuff that can be added to alcohol to make it undrinkable, some seriously toxic (like methanol, pyridine, or gasoline), some just nasty-tasting (like Bitrex, or denatonium benzoate), and some that will make you vomit after ingestion.

For a product like mouthwash, where small amounts will always get swallowed, and where a nasty bitter taste would be objectionable, my bet is on some kind of puke-inducer. But without knowing exactly what alcohol they are using, it's hard to say.

10. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

have fun drinking listerine:rolleyes:

i accidentally swallowed a mouth full one night after my friend scared me, i puked 2 times that night. i wouldn't recommend drinking it...

11. Primus

Primus Member

I've accidentally swallowed it before, but it didn't do anything to make me puke and it didn't have any nasty taste. Here's what it says on the website (and on the bottle).

Active Ingredients: Thymol 0.064%, Eucalyptol 0.092%, Methyl Salicylate 0.060%, Menthol 0.042%.

Also Contains: Water, Alcohol (21.6%), Sorbitol Solution, Flavoring, Poloxamer 407, Benzoic Acid, Sodium Saccharin, Sodium Benzoate, D&C Yellow #10 and FD&C Green #3.

Wouldn't it have to say the alcohol is denaturated... it doesnt.

12. EllisDTripp

Looks like Formula #37:

13. Primus

Primus Member

Looks like it. Thanks for getting me that info. Does that make it drinkable or not? Compared to the amount of alcohol, the other ingrediants are very little.

14. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

Me and a friend of mine found a way to get pissed from stuff atthe supermarket. A lot of natural flavouring essenses contain more alchohol than any other ingredient, and teh citrus ones are often over 90% alchohol. you can mix these essences into drinks to make them barable to drink. however, they are very strong in flavour and not reccomended for sculling.

but im 16 and i can get normal drinkning alchohol if i want to drink lol you dont get arrested for trying over here in oz lol (we were shocked when we found out you could in NY)

one of my teacher's son's (who is young) drank a whole bottle of listerine once by accident and got pissed off his nut

but if your thinkning of drinkning listerine, you may as well go buy a bottle of cough syrup, or maybe some glue.

15. EllisDTripp

If you don't mind throwing up, you could try drinking it. Nothing there that's going to kill you or make you go blind, but all that other junk (even at low levels) is there for a reason--keeping people from getting drunk without paying booze taxes! The government would rather have you sick, blind, or dead than get away with evading taxes....:rolleyes:

If you are desperate enough to actually drink that crap, bear in mind that it is equivalent to 40 proof liquor. If you drink a whole bottle of it, and somehow avoid puking it up, you could be at risk of alcohol poisoning.

16. Primus

Primus Member

Well I have alcohol tollerance, i guess. I drank like 25oz of vodka once.

17. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Ain't that the truth!

18. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

man those bottles must be big to give you alchohol poisoning from 20%... dont you need more than that to die, considering its dilute to 20%?

19. airforcedrew

airforcedrew Banned

You should chase it with nyquil!!!!

Just make friends with some older people, and get them to buy you alchohol. Or find a shady liquer store that never cards people.

20. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

they dont have to be shady, you just gotta look old