linux

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by flmkpr, Jan 29, 2009.

1. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

and ya the cd i have when i use it on my good pc is as slow as dialup on deppressants!! so i geuss ill have to download it again make a new cd and try it one more time or maybe 2 or lol! in the mean time i downloaded knoppix trying to make a cd of that but cant remember how i converted the iso file to beable to burn it? i have infrarecorder i think thats the program i used? just cant remember how to?? aaahhhh! any more pointers, would be great!!!
    peace!

2. WalkerInTheWoods

WalkerInTheWoods Member

Are you saying it is running slow when you run it from the cd? If so that is to be expected. It is always going to run slow when it is run from the cd, but it is a lot faster when you install it.

I just found ubuntu pock guide that might be helpful. You can download the pdf version for free here http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index2.html I have not read much of it yet so I don't know how great it is but it might help some people getting it installed and set up.

If you want to shell out a few bucks Ubuntu for Non-Geeks might be worth it. I have not read that book, but I learned linux from an older book the author wrote and it was awesome for someone without a lot of linux know how. It was written to tell an anverage person how to install and set it up how to do the things you need it to do without a lot of technical talk. From the good things I Have heard about this book I assume it is the same way.

3. zedo

zedo Member

Ubuntu is the best I have used in my experience. I work with a tech speacializing in linux, so any tough questions, I can ask while at work.. but it looks like you guys are taken care of very well.

4. prana

prana Member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  5. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

the point is not just "how good is this linux distro right now" but how much support and community feedback each can wield. I tried corel, mandrake, redhat, loved slackware but in the eternal quest for a de facto standard linux distro i joined the ranks of ubuntu users (actually Kubuntu) because of its wide and growing platform of users. if you encounter some bug, chances are someone else stumbled in it and solved it before you. if you can find solutions, you are going to help a lot of others. I bet on Ubuntu and hope it will grow to become THE distro upon which all other distros are judged, clearing a little bit the jungle of linux flavors out there.