linux

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by flmkpr, Jan 29, 2009.

1. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

im wanting to try a linux based system, preferably from a bootable cd like umbuntu or knoppix i dont know any thing about them, can anyone get me pointed in the right direction? to to start? and a place to download from?
    thanks peace!

2. Fuuunia

Fuuunia Members

Hi! I'd recommend you to install the ubuntu! I'm on ubuntu and I love it! I also tried kubuntu which was not that good.

I might give you some info, but I think you'll get better info from www.ubuntu.com where you can also download it.

Good luck, I believe you're gonna love it! :)

3. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

thanks fuuunia!

4. Fuuunia

Fuuunia Members

You're welcome. PM me if you'll need any help. :)

5. Adderall_Assasin

Adderall_Assasin Senior Member

6. Xora

Xora Member

Or download the iso and burn it!

Ubuntu is great!

7. jnorton47

jnorton47 Cosmic Traveler

Hi Fuuunia,

Thinks for posting the link. I have been thinking of jumping to a Linux based operating system. I am currently using Windows XP. I tried Vista, but it was such a piece of crap that I moved back to XP. Like Flmkpr, I know very little about Linux systems. I do know that I am burning out on Windows. :eek:

8. Xora

Xora Member

Anyone who wants help with Ubuntu is free to PM me as well.

9. jnorton47

jnorton47 Cosmic Traveler

I have never use a Linux based OS before. I am downloading the program now. I can most likely use all the help I can get. :confused:

10. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Yeah. I'll extend the offer. I'm a complete geek. And I'm using Ubuntu, though I have past experience with several different linux distros. Just ask if you need anything.

11. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

thanks for all your input! i have made a cd it seems to work, i can get to google but then i try to get to hip forums or anywere else i cant! any ideas? also if i decide to install it and keep windows too do i have to create a partition?
    ive got xp. loaded on the ntfs? any help would be greatly app.
    thanks!
    peace!
    p.s. i dont know squat about puters! i think i knew more 2yrs ago! lol
    e2140 intel dual core,1 gig dor2 memory ,250gb sata hard disk,supermulti drive, if that helps? thanks again!

12. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

oops also i have a extra 80gig hard drive set up as a slave, could i just install it to that??

13. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Yeah. You should just be able to install to that. If you don't want to, you can also create a partition on your main drive. And then, just install it to there. I think that installing to your extra drive is your best bet though. However, I'm not sure if that'll throw off the boot sequence or anything. It doesn't seem like it would, but computers don't often seem to do what they should. Maybe check the ubuntuforums and see what you can find there. If you don't see anything, try posting there. I think the url is www.ubuntuforums.org

14. mai

mai Member

Whatever you do - make a complete back up before you start
    (am i too late?)

15. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Yeah. Very true. That's pretty much the golden rule of computer stuff. Even though I'm like the biggest geek ever and I still don't have my stuff backed up :/

16. billyjean305

billyjean305 Member

am running on XP and i would like to try out ubuntu but its wierd because I am afriad becaues my friend installed ubuntu in his 1yr old Vista laptop and ubuntu deleted Vista! but even now Ubunutu runs SLOW AS HELL!! will it be like that on my desktop?

17. billyjean305

billyjean305 Member

how do i perform that?

18. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Yeah, if you choose to install it on the whole drive, it will delete everything. However, if you create a partition, and then install to that, it'll keep all of that stuff intact.

It definitely shouldn't be slow if you're running it on a laptop that runs Vista. My computer barely ran XP at decent speeds, and it definitely runs Ubuntu at a decent speed.

Possibly try reinstalling over the existing Ubuntu using a new Ubuntu disc. It's possible that your friends disc got corrupted in the burning process.

19. billyjean305

billyjean305 Member

yeh he gave the ubuntu cd he used i believe! i'll check it out! now how can i make a patition?

20. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

instead of doing that, i decided to try and resurect my old computer with umbuntu on it it has since been futile! keep getting no operating sys found! pretty sure the ubuntu program is corrupt! what i did was take the drive that i was going to put it on and put it back in my old pc the drive should be fine, and the pc was working when i put it up so now im lost, i could put it back into my new one, but im SCARED!!! LOL!:confused: