linux users

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by crustymax, Aug 19, 2005.

1. crustymax

crustymax Member

2. occasionally....

3. moondance

moondance Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Yes - for the last 8 or 9 years.

4. wrat

wrat Member

no windows here

5. crustymax

crustymax Member

6. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

On linux here. :D

7. Tô®n

Tô®n Member

Gentoo, Fedora Core 2, debian, Net/FreeBSD all reside in my home. Also knoppix std and D.S.L. cds for traveling.

8. DSLC

DSLC Member

Yeah, I use Slackware 10.1
    I think it's more appropriate to refer to it as GNU/Linux though. Linux is only the kernel; the majority of the operating system is comprised of other free software (in some 'Linux' distributions there is actually a lot of non-free software, I think) such as GNU stuff, TeX, X11, Perl etc. etc..
    Read this article by Richard Stallman for more info. Some people might think he's just being silly (he's the founder of the GNU free software project BTW), but I disagree.

9. Pointbreak

Pointbreak Banned

blag, mandriva, red hat (i think the first two are red hat based).

crusty i may want some advice on DSL, i have a really old win95 era notebook i´d like to install that on. can you advise?

10. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Seems like so long as it had an ethernet port it should work.. At least in my experience, DSL on linux just worked. :confused: If the connection is there, it will recognize it. :D

11. crustymax

crustymax Member

_

12. Revo

Revo Member

I´ve used Linux a (long) time, it was pretty cool and was lucky with it, but I must switch back to Windows because some apps wich I need for somethings. [​IMG]
    But my next dream is an Apple

13. raysun

raysun D4N73_666 4861786f72

I use ,Sarge,Mepis and Ubuntu still must try freebsd and mac .....

14. mircuser

mircuser Member

Knoppix-STD HALLA!!!!!!!1 And Whoppix AKA Whax ;)

15. White Feather

White Feather Senior Member

Unbuntu (after trying about a dozen different distros), OSX on a 233 Blueberry, WXP, W2K.

After working with OSX I have to tell you that I really prefer Linux, so I won't be looking forward to using E17 anytime soon. Even formatting two partitions in Unix or Mac Extended yield different results. I can almost get used to Safari, but that IE5 has got to go.

If you go from Ubuntu to OSX you might have a few problems coping. But at least it's not KDE.

16. Southernman

Southernman Boarischer Rebell

Linux since 1994. Main system is a Debian SID/Testing Mix with a Gnome Desktop, Backup system is a SuSE 9.2 with a KDE Desktop, for some Windows-only applications like Cubase, Tassman and virtual Synthesizers WIN XP.

17. Pointbreak

Pointbreak Banned

By DSL I meant Damn Small Linux.

18. Southernman

I've Damn Small Linx at the moment only running in vmware. I have a HD-Installation on a virtual HD or I boot the Livesystem direct from the Isofile. Very nice distribution. Next try will be a bootable usb-stick.
    If your Notebook is able to boot from the Live-CD, there should be no problem, In needed for the HD-installation only 30 minutes. I got a lot of info from their website, I think, you know it allready.

Just another hint for watching DVD and even WIN-formated movies on Debian-based distros:

Put the line
    deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
    into your /etc/apt/sources.list, there are all kind of players, codecs and the CSS-library to find.

19. Pointbreak

Pointbreak Banned

The website is pretty good, but i'm actually hoping to get it put on at an installfest. Mostly I'm curious how much use a Win95 era notebook is when running DSL. For example, I couldn't run Skype on it, and I doubt I could run a browser with all the java add ons and so on. Graphics would be extremely marginal, it can only handle 256 colors. I think the HD is only 350MB.

===========

I've heard DSL can run faster off a USB key than it can off a HD. But I don't think a win-95 era notebook would have a USB port, i guess there must be a way of adding one via a PCMCIA card or something.

The notebook won't boot off CD and I can't change the boot order. I'd have to have it boot from floppy and then boot to CD.

I don't have much ambition for it, just want to use if for web browsing with WiFi. Its more of an experiment, hardly any investment could be justified. I just think it would be cool to have this old beater running linux at reasonable speed for web browsing.

20. Southernman

Search the forum at DSL. There are some threads about the same problems, you've with your oldtimer, no cd-booting and so on. Your HD should be big enough, I just checked it, expanded from the running Live-system to HD there are only 306MB needed. You can try to check here, wether your hardware, like grafic-adapter, soundcard and the rest is supported.