Link between religious fundamnetalism and brain damage found.

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by MeAgain, Jan 9, 2019.

1. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I think reliance on a God of the Gaps is "silly" because the trajectory of Scientific progress has essentially been made through carving away gaps in our understanding of the cosmos, many of which were once attributed to God(s).

I don't find Pantheism silly necessarily, but by the same token, I don't really know what to do with it. There's nothing there for me that I've read so far to be like "Oh yes, I understand what you're talking about, let's discuss this aspect of it." It seems to kind of shield itself off from inquiry in a way and I've yet to understand what makes God more than a comfort word for universe or multiverse in the position.

However I do believe Spinoza was a Pantheist and I could brush up on some of his work, I've only read a brief amount of stuff from him and I don't recall it discussing this topic.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. Brain damage can lead to a vast array of beliefs. I knew one brain damaged kid who was obsessed with pro-wrestling. And I'm sure I wouldn't have to search far and wide to find one that was obsessed with planets. Now, is he or she an astronomer? Can brain damage lead to an interest in astronomy? Yes, surely it can. It's not surprising to me at all that it can lead to religious fundamentalism, but brain damage literally causes all kinds of different fixations in people.

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Opinions about religion/god , are just that and no more. Science does not rely on opinions.
    Maybe I'm being dumb here, but I still don't get the part about gravity. You're talking to a guy that worked roofing for almost 50 years. I can guarantee it's real! Maybe I'm missing a metaphor here somehow.

4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I don't know the arguments of the guy Irm is referring to but I assume it relies on mostly a bunch of pseudoscientific speculation, exploiting the fact that gravity is the one fundamental force which has yet to been harmonized with the other 3 in quantum mechanics.

5. scratcho

Yeah--me neither. I'll just stay out of issues I don't understand.

6. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Supposedly Nikola Tesla developed a unified theory of gravity that explained the relationship between gravity and electromagnetism.
    [​IMG]
    But he never published it as he died.​

scratcho likes this.
  7. scratcho

Whoa! That's exactly what I was thinking when the the ground came rushing up at me those 4 times I fell. (oops--gonna' stay out. )

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Why do scientists tell us that space is a vacuum, and then also tell us that there are thousands of stars being born every second? Do they not comprehend how a vacuum works by their own logic?

10. Why are scientists this group of people who have allegedly only ever paid attention to things that make sense, and yet we're supposed to trust them.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Not sure if you're being serious, but that's exactly what I am talking about, you either put your faith and trust into these guys or you don't and get labelled brain damaged or conspiracy theorist.

People don't trust their government but they put all their trust in government funded science. They don't understand that they're helping the government cause, call everything else pseudoscience because that's not what they're teaching.

You can extiguish fire with sound frequency, proven fact, yet why don't we see this technology in the fire department? Because it would be too easy, instead they continue to push aside the energy of sound, because they need buildings to burn, people need to get injured for the hospitals to run etc. Etc. Etc. It all fits into the mould of modern day economics. Scientific advancements are being ignored and shut down because of they were released there'd be no money in the market anymore. Such as crystals being able to hold a limitless amount of data, yet they won't use this technology for us because we'd never need new memory every again, the market falls. It's all about money and the government knows this, it's what keeps the whole operation running.

In the earlier 1900s cancer was cured with sound frequencies that obliterated cancer cells you can find document and video evidence of this on YouTube. Thrown aside, too easy, we won't get money if we give them the cure.

Science is nothing more than a system ignorance!

12. I am being serious. I find it absurd that we're supposed to believe there's this group of people who we can't judge whatsoever, because allegedly all they're concerned about is the facts. It's an obvious non-truth. They have opinions and biases just like everyone else. I think it's just too meager for them to just do science and produce results. They think they're the most intelligent, so all of their opinions must be right, too. The arrogance.

It's just so human to admire other humans, to put them up on a pedestal. But I think Einstein would probably even say it himself...he was pretty smart...for a human. In all likelihood I would say that our most intelligent human beings, as far as understanding what the construct of reality is like, are, relatively abysmally stupid. I just don't think we're all that advanced on an evolutionary scale as a species. We can't really comprehend what this is all about simply because we lack the faculties, the sensory organs.

And even they know they can't explain everything, but they kind of flippantly act like that's neither here-nor-there. Of course there COULD be this God of the gaps, but it's just silly to think about, because they're only concerned with the real world. It's just such an easy out, in my opinion. Your opinion on the whys and wherefores of everything becomes valid because you use the scientific method regularly?

I like science as a practice, but not as the institution it has become. Where we're all supposed to look to science as some kind of God or savior from our own ignorance and undoing. Uh, really guys? Observe, hypothesize, experiment, draw conclusions... It's like, the most basic thing humans have been doing for centuries. I would say the first person who could ever start fires was a scientist, but I hate that label of "scientist" now, because it has all these implications. Like you're just dedicated to the "scientific method," which, as I said, is the most basic method of garnering information that has ever existed and has always existed. It was only after the information built up to such a point that we could begin to barely comprehend the universe on a large scale that it became this amazing holy grail. They act like they have some ownership over reality now, like they succeeded where religion failed, when really they're just like monkeys who found a gun and figured out it could shoot.

I agree they're a part of this whole system of brainwashing. It's the worship of man and all material things. Your captors have all the answers. Here's a study. Here's another study. Here's another study. Here's another study. Here's another study. Do this. Don't do that. Don't think this way. Don't think that way. This is bad for your health. That's bad for your health. Etc. etc. etc.

Irminsul likes this.
  13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I can understand not wanting to invest the time and energy to learn all about science (and philosophy) but are you really this ignorant as to how science works?

MeAgain likes this.
  14. I don't understand what you're saying, because the part of what I said that you quoted seemingly has nothing to do with your reply. I don't know how science works because scientists are only concerned with the facts? So they're not only concerned with the facts...? Or is it the part where I said you're not supposed to be able to judge them...

Which you follow up with saying, to summarize, "You just don't understand science if you think scientists are presented to the public as people who are beyond reproach." Do you not see the irony?

It is true that I'm not particularly interested in most science and philosophy. Well, I'm interested...but I'm not going to become, like, a botanist. It isn't a passion of mine. And I appreciate science (and I'm not just saying this because I feel pressured into it by the scientific establishment of know-it-alls.) But I think you're mostly control freaks that like to put yourselves on pedestals...either through self-aggrandizement or by idolizing other (frail) human beings. You like to tout your own merits, because you're insecure in your own feeble humanity.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm the same, I am interested in things but I already know my limits and learning maths and formulas and things just isn't my strong suit, so I need to rely on other people doing the work for me lol. Problem is who do you trust? It just seems it is a characteristic of me to side with the underdog. Not everything I believe even from some of my favorite scientists and things, I'm interested in certain aspects but not interested in others. And when I look at a science sheet I just don't understand what I'm looking at.

Its not that I don't want to believe either, I just don't agree with the modern representation of our history, and since it's history, it starts there. So if they can't get that right, well I guess I don't have too much hope about other things. Like how we can explore the universe etc apparently, yet we are still teaching that ancient cultures used ropes and pulleys to traverse 100 of tonne stone across the earth. And the hypocrisy is we are trying to come up with the technology to do it today. It's as if to say look we know they were more advanced and civilisation is older than we think and we're conceiving inventions that were told in ancient mythology, but we are still going to push this ropes and pulleys stuff onto everybody. For gods sake even modern engineers are starting to dissect things and they ouright believe certain structures could not have been built the way we are taught, We can't even build these things ourselves yet.

And if they can pull off that lie, then where will they stop? I'm hopeful in my lifetime I will be alive to see the history of our earth and civilisation re-written and I'm confident it could happen.

16. I think I could, potentially, learn the maths and philosophy and everything...I just don't think that life is all about trying to deconstruct life. I think that's missing the point. I can appreciate using science to do extraordinary things, but not as a means of understanding life.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I have never been very good with math. I had a tutor when I went to university I guess I learned enough to get through that, doubt I've retained much of the knowledge.

I also have a gripe with these for a lack of a better word I'll call them science priests, who use current modern science to coincide and bridge gaps with their modern religion. Like if science says, it was the big bang, priests are now like, yes, you see the expansion of atomic particles came from gods fingers when he said let their be light, so the big bang was the light God was referring to" or something like that lol, bad example.

It's like both systems will eventually become one. Science and religion, the two powerhouses of the world conforming together.. Then what chance do we have?

But aside from that it is my personal belief that since there's so much discussion these days, so many documentaries, so many topics about what's real, Our history etc. That they're just getting us ready and conditioned to the fact that at some point, they're going to turn around and drop some truths, but our minds will be vegetated enough by then to disconcern us about the lies told, so we will be like huh, well there you go.

If it happens in my life time, there's going to be a lot of "I told you so" :D

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  18. I know, right? Somebody always has to own the whole thing, make it into a dogma. What I wish people would accept is that the world is, at its very foundation, an ineffable mystery. There actually was a group of people calling themselves Mysterians who wanted to accomplish that, but no one took them seriously. It's true, though. It's essentially mysterious.

Some people think we're being indoctrinated into the introduction of an alien species. And we're gonna need it, because society literally would collapse if aliens landed tomorrow.

Irminsul likes this.
  19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't have much of an opinion on the modern UFO/Alien phenomenon like Roswell etc. or whether the government knows about aliens.
    Probably though. They've done recent weird things like expand space military etc. kind of gives me clues to things.
    I definitely believe earth was visited in the past. I believe we as humans have evolved over time, but our initial construct was created.
    If I'm to believe what scientist teach about our 6000 year civilization, I just can't. The writing is literally on the wall for me. The writing tells me no, that's not right and it's doing it for a lot of people nowadays and science seems to vehemently deject it to the point of, some scientists even agree, but they are forebode to ever say it for fear of lost jobs etc. It's covered up.

I recently learned that in Sth Africa there are literally hundreds of thousands of ancient mine shafts discovered, and they discover them all the time and do you know what they do with them? They seal them up, unexplored. Zimbabwe is a big country for this, they're directed to find, seal and move on. Why the cover up? And why can we send a telescope past the solar system, yet we can't search the oceans? I think because if we search the oceans they'll find further cities under the water, cities that predate modern science and history. They already find underwater cities but little research is ever done and why? We can send a man into space but we don't know how to search underwater? Doesn't add up to me.

20. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

The latter, the whole crux of modern science lends itself to testability. That is a primary reason why it is so respected.

Meliai likes this.