Life in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Sera Michele, May 8, 2004.

1. mjoda

mjoda Member

Strong statements, pressed_rat. Would the American please give us Canadians some insight on what the "REAL Canada" is?

2. DharmaBum

DharmaBum Old Guard

Your all wrong..Ireland has the best Beer damnit...Guinness!..it's good for you too..*nods*

3. Juiceman3000

Juiceman3000 Banned

I did try some guiness on tap in an Irish pub once.

It was pretty good I must say... but Im not used to drinking beverages at room temperature like the Brits and Irish are.

I was told later that I had to drink Guiness AT the factory itself in order to truly appreciate it.
    (they say its pours directly from the barrels?)

4. Harmony_rain

Harmony_rain Keeper of the Stars

I love living in Canada. Even though I hate snow and cold weather, I love being here. Canada is such a beautiful country filled with awsome scenery. Gorgious mountains, oceans, and wild life. Though living here all my life, I've got to say not everyone is soo friendly. Then again I live in Alberta, where there are alot of very rich, snobby people. Growing up in Calgary made me really appreciate the country and small towns. Calgary has gotten too money orientated and not keeping their heritage alive. I get pissed about how they would rather tear down an old historical building and in its place build a half a million dollar condo complex.

I know though that I am truely a canadian because It could be -30c outside and I still want a slurpee. (damn those things are good.)

And i'm not a beer liker. Though that kinds sucks for me considering Canada's history of being big beer drinkers next to Ireland and Scottland. Though I could sit down and drink one Kokanee.

Living here is a good thing nothing wrong with it at all. You just have to like snow and rain and sleet.

5. Juiceman3000

Juiceman3000 Banned

Since we were judging countries by beer quality ;) I feel it necessary to mention that (IMO) Canadian Whiskey is the best in the world.

Some Highlanders might fairly disagree with me, but I insist that nothing beats a half glass of Crown Royal or many Canadian Whiskeys.

Oddly enough.. I find Canada has some superb Rum too.
    (Not counting Screech :O )

6. Juiceman3000

Juiceman3000 Banned

I agree, the lucky ones who got wealthy in Alberta (thanks to a lot of hard working poor people I might add) can be really snobby and 'better than thou' attitudes.
    Calgary is a beautiful clean modern Urban city.. but .. your right.. we put NO effort or interest in any history or heritage.
    Its one of the worst things of Canadians.
    Americans are excellent for preserving their heritage sites and venerating them!

Down South we call them 'Slushes' and yes they are dam good, even at -30. Here we have been adding soft-ice cream to them for decades.
    Its like a float slurpee.
    VERY delicious!

7. Harmony_rain

mmm yummy that would be really tasty. I'll have to try that. accually wait aminute I have they sell them at dairy Queen. Freezes I think they calll them.

8. Juiceman3000

Juiceman3000 Banned

Oh ya.. Dude, they are insanely good.

Apparently they have been a tradition in Medicine Hat for a long time and once you have one - you cant believe its kept secret like this for so long without sweeping the nation.

The key is to add just the right amount of creamy soft ice-cream.
    Remember to get a slurpee with appropriate 'float' flavouring.

(Orange crush being a good old standby)

Then go nuts!

9. psyche

psyche fun for the whole family

it's all about vancouver island. i enjoy that area because people seem to be the most laid back, vancouverites are just a little uptight sometimes for me. victoria is incredibly expenside (as is vancouver) but the people there are great, it's so easy to strike up a conversation with just about anybody. though come to think of it i don't think i've been to a part of canada that i don't like, but i'm biased...

10. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

I think pressed_rat is jello-us

11. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

hey mjoda, I just saw your reply to Pressed_rat, kick ass :p

12. Harmony_rain

Juiceman where you from?
    are you from Medicine Hat?
    I got family that live there.

13. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

juiceman cant reply to you, he got banned. :(

14. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

Did he get banned for bashing calgary??? intresting i thought you guys whould be bashing ottawa??? as a result of all the scandels and such.

15. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

Seriously....

im quoting someone from canada (sorry i dont care to remember who)

- our McDonald's don't require an armed guard

WTF?!

ive never been to a mickey d's here that has that... and ive been to like 70 of them (none in the past four yrs.)

i hate that supierior attitude.

16. dreama

dreama Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

nothing superior about it, just a fact. Last month when I was in Antigua, Guatemala, there was an armed guard standing outside the McDonald's Restaurant. Sometimes he was posted inside. I was there for a week the McDonald's was just down the street from my hotel and he was there every time I walked by.

Your info under your id simply states that you are from "earth" so you will have to be a little more specific when you refer to "our mickey d's". Which country?

17. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

i live in the u.s. and i just thought it was another lame post about how canada is SOOOO much greater then the U.S. - sorry for the misunderstanding.

(it's not that i love the u.s., but i dont love any country) :)

18. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

I agree i don't like it either but the problem is no matter what country you go to there will always be people who are all out and fanatic about there country.

for example i didn't like that superior attitude some hockey fans in the US had towards the flames and the leafs.

what the person meant was in the US we don't require all that armed protection that you guys in the states require.

Not so much that you need a guard at McDonalds its just that it seams that in america there is alot more concern about protection and its as if its a conern that affect your everyday life, at work,school and at home.

where as in canada its not so much like that.

19. dreama

dreama Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

In fact, I wasn't referring to the US at all in any way, shape or form, but the two countries in Central America that I visited.

20. Neverest

Neverest Member

Pressed Rat, I find it interesting that you have such strong views about my countries inhabitants. I would like to see what sort of research you conducted to draw some of the conclusions about 'over trusting' Canadians. Anyway, this is really a beautiful country, and still quite free. In fact, growing up in Canada, I truly have the belief that this country will afford anyone who wants the opportunity to create for themselves as free a life as can be lived.