Life After Death -Echols

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction Books' started by Fueled by Coffee, Jul 14, 2014.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Damien Echols of the West Memphis Three served 18 years on death row for a crime he did not commit, which was murdering 3 children. His other two friends Jason Baldwin and Jesse Miskelly were also sentenced life. These three guys were misfit punk teenagers who inhabited a small churchy town in western Arkansas and did not fit in with the rest of the crowd. 18 years of activism and social awareness allowed the 3 a chance to be free with an Alford Plea. They were then set free in 2011.

Being put in a cell with nothing else to do, Damien taught himself how to be a writer. And in his book Life After Death, he writes his thoughts and experiences and how he dealt with death row. He writes about how the prison system operates and how unjust the justice system is.

For those of you who've read it, what did you think?

2. RubySoho6

RubySoho6 Organized Chaos

I read it. I'm not sure what I thought about it. While I don't believe he did it, I kind of thought he made himself out to be a saint in general. It's been a while since I've read it so it's kind of hard to remember.

3. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

I'm currently reading it. Yes, he is a very fine writer, but not self-taught: He took a creative writing class while still in prison. :sunny:

QP

4. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Ok that makes sense. It's a good thing prisoners still have access to some education. I'm sure he had some help editing that book as well. I heard his friend Jason is studying to become a lawyer to understand the legal system and fight to clear his felony charge as well as help out other young people who could end up like he did.