liberal schools

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by hippie_chick, Jan 19, 2005.

1. hippie_chick

hippie_chick Member

Does anyone know where i can find a list or something of schools that are known for having a large liberal student population?:confused: Basically im looking for a college where i wouldnt have any problems finding other people who are into a more liberal lifestyle, or ones that are noted for student activism.

any help would be appreciated :)

2. Mrpalmers$1000?

Mrpalmers$1000? Member

check out UVM, Green Mountain, both in vermont, they are both liberal, and very green colleges. green mountain is small, roughly 900 students in a rural town in VT, and UVM is approx. 7000 right in Burlington, which is an amazing college town.thats all i really know,
    im going to UVM if the money situation works out

3. Tisbutehname

Tisbutehname Member

i am currently at school in Emerson (Boston MA) but a really cool school that i thought of going to was called Warren Wilson, it is the single most nuts ass crazy cool system of education i have ever heard of... check it out. And while you are at it look at Naropa in Colorado, haha, this place allows you to master in Zen and Meditation, not to mention was founded (i believe) with the help of Allen Ginsberg, has a Jack Kerouac Dead Poets Library and alot of really cool and obviously liberal education missions. Whitter in California too, almost went there as well.

4. hippie_chick

hippie_chick Member

What kind of grades would i need to get accepted to these schools? Are they really expensive?

5. Lizz

Lizz Member

http://www.princetonreview.com/college/research/rankings/rankingDetails.asp?CategoryID=5&TopicID=35Liberal/hippie schools - i.e. left-winged politics, acceptance of gay community, etc (top 20... if you don't have an account, you can only see the top 5)

http://www.princetonreview.com/college/research/rankings/rankingDetails.asp?categoryID=6&topicID=41 Most politically active (same as above)

Princetonreview also has lists for almost every single quality you could be looking for. It's also great for searching for schools in general.

Hope that helps a bit!

6. DoDaMan

DoDaMan Member

Defiently look into University of Wisonsin in Madison. It is crowded with "hippies"!;) You'll love it! I did............

~namaste~

7. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Member

"Liberal institutions straightway cease from being liberal the moment they are soundly established."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

8. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

Or on the west coast, maybe Berkeley or University of Washington (couldn't resist).

9. tuesdayafternoon

tuesdayafternoon Member

Antioch University, Yellow Springs, Ohio
    extremely liberal, very peaceful town also.

10. dhs

dhs Senior Member

I went to UVM and I'd agree with that assessment. Burlington is a great town - I came back to live here.

11. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Humbuldt State, Evergreen...

12. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

yea UVM...

Burlington is awesome...i party up there

13. beatlerific

beatlerific not like other girls

shimer college.. it's small but everyone is so open minded and accepting.. :) check it out...

14. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

pretty much anyschool you attend will be largely liberal....a very high percent of professors are liberal..and a very high percent of college students are liberal..i'd say stay away from private colleges or catholic colleges...any state university will have tons of liberal kids..

15. solargarlic

solargarlic Member

Oberlin College is a good one, I'm heading there this phall.

16. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

well closest to you would be OU, it has a big leftist and activist population, but mainly political. Antioch is SW ohio is vey expensive, but more on the environmental front. i would think Evergreen in Olympia Washington would be the most liberal, i thik half the proffessors have dreadlocks, alot of schools are "party liberal" some are "political liberal" some are "environmental liberal". its most important to chose a school that is affordable and will teach you what you want to learn, then to search for a place to fit it. i know all about ignorant and conservative folks, but ive found the key to fitting in is within oneself, being comfortable with what you have to offer and not conforming. ive changed scenery more than most, but thats just a diversion. there are good kids everywhere.

17. WHorseTurtle

WHorseTurtle Member

Hmm, I myself have been to Burlington, yup, definately a college town, lots of drugs, if you're into that sort of thing, I was going to go to Evergreen back in the day but I think I would have to go to a community college before I was let in because of my math scores DAMN MATH WHO NEEDS IT ANYWAY!!!! Sorry about that outburst there....anyway....This is something I was looking into too, I need a college who will let in anyone and is cheap and has a country location and lots of people and preferably is in California and if I don't go to Cali, I'll go to Hawaii He HEE!

18. hippie_chick

hippie_chick Member

thanks for all the help..thank god im only 16 so i have at least a year left too decide where im gonna go..soooo many options..

I hate math too, it's always been my worst subject.

I've always lived in the country and would like to find a school in a more rural environment i guess. it seems like i change my mind everyday...lol

19. dhs

dhs Senior Member

if your looking for a school out in the country - Johnson State in Vermont

20. Arachne

Arachne Member

CU in Boulder, Colorado is a good place. i go to Cal Arts now. it's an amazing school with talented, wonderful people.