LGBTQ--Putting All Your Eggs In One Basket?

Discussion in 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, etc.' started by Jimbee68, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Why exactly are large, mostly unrelated categories of people, included in the LGBTQ category?
    This seems relatively new, to me at least.

Why I was a kid, there were gay people. Most people didn't like them (at least when I was a kid). Then there were bisexual people. We knew who they were too. Then there were what we called at the time, bisexual people. They weren't lumped in the same group as gays. On the contrary, they were sick, and just needed to be helped. No one seemed to deny that at the time.

What changed? and Why? And is it wise (as my titled implies) to simply put all these groups on the same raft? I mean, if the who raft goes down, they all lose? Am I wrong?

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

2. KathyL

KathyL Super Moderator Super Moderator

The discrimination that we all face is the same. Remember that "Pride" was initially a protest movement, not a celebratory parade. Remember, too, that Stonewall - the legendary beginning of the gay pride movement - would have been just another police raid, had it not been for the trans women who resisted arrest.

It is true that trans people have little in common with gay people. And perhaps it is also true that gays, lesbians and bi folk have little in common with each other; I wouldn't know. But the hatred that is directed at all of us is the same. We are all stronger if we fight it together.