Lexapro and Marijuana- interactions?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by The Caterpillar, Jun 14, 2006.

1. The Caterpillar

The Caterpillar Member

Hey all, it's been a long time since I've been here and an even longer time since I toked at all...

But anyway, without going in to many details, I may start on an antidepressant called Lexapro to help with anxiety and post traumatic stress issues, and I'm wondering if being on that medication will interact with some occasional toking(if I choose to do it again in the future)?

I don't plan on smoking too often if I pick it up again, and as for the meds, I will be on a very low dosage. I haven't been able to find much info on any interactions between the two though, but could anyone here please help me and let me know if they have any idea if the two can both be used? I'd appreciate it very much.

For a little more help, here's some info on Lexapro. From what I understand and what I have read and researched, it seems to be a less dangerous pill, that overall seems to give good results. Anyway, here's the link.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexapro

2. NoVictimNoCrime

NoVictimNoCrime -

i'm almost positive that there wouldn't be any negative interaction between the two.

3. neongreen

neongreen Member

dont worry i take lexapro and smoke pot everyday but if you drop acid be careful

4. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

if you NEED to be on a anti depressent smoking weed or taking drugs in general probably isnt a good idea.

5. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

If you have anxiety attacks then weed is not a good idea.

6. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

ive heard that being on that stuff can potentiate weed even but thats prolly like in an obscure and barely noticeable way

7. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

My friend takes lexapro and we smoke all the time together... doesnt seem to affect her negatively at all.

8. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

I take Venlafaxine another ssri I find smoking more enjoyable because the medication removes a lot of negative thinking.

9. Naturalhi

Naturalhi Great hairy ape

WEll I guess it's time to come out, for the kids, I take copiuos amounts of effexor with a mixer of buspar on the side every day just to keep me from lauching myself off a seacliff........wife, kids, grandkids, and maryjane are what keeps me on this plane!

Good luck!

10. Zakkysmama

Zakkysmama Member

I am also on Lexapro and don't have any problems at all with smoking while taking it.

11. The Caterpillar

The Caterpillar Member

Indeed, I am hoping that being on Lexapro could let me have a better time when I do smoke, as I won't have as many anxieties or negative thoughts to begin with.

For those of you that do take Lexapro, how well does it work just as a medication?

And how about alcohol? Are you guys able to get nice and drunk without it messing you up too bad?

12. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

Just make sure you don't count on it to solve all of your problems or anything. I hope it helps you though, man.

13. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Whats buspar. I take 75 mg mod release capsules of effexor didn't know you were in the club Naturalhi.

14. Naturalhi

Buspar is an antianxiety med; I used worry about the anvils falling out of the sky, now I don't care. 150mg down from 300mg I must be feeling much better now!

15. Naturalhi

oh sorry the 150mg refers to effexor

16. zeppelin kid

zeppelin kid Member

All it does is make you feel really hot or warm on the inside but other then that its a good interaction between the two. I was on lexapro a few weeks and it didn't bother me while high.