Leukemia/Chemo Side Effects

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Lemmey, May 25, 2006.

1. Lemmey

Lemmey Member

Hi folks,

I am being treated for CLL. Chemo is a bitch but remarkably, life has been pretty normal in between cycles. My hair has thinned but is not totally gone and I have been buzzing it off as to look somewhat normal. I work and I play but not necessarily as hard as normal. As far as being upset or depressed, that passed shortly after the shock of the initial diagnosis. My friends and family are mostly to blame for that. When my strength seems to ebb, theirs seems to overflow.

I am not seeking alternatives to chemo, I am looking for alternative remedies for dealing some of the side effects. They are getting progressively more difficult after each subsequent infusion. Nausea, low energy levels, sensitivity to light and sound, etc.

The nausea is the one I am having the hardest time with. The doctors have given me all kinds of pills and such to minimize the effects, but I feel I have enough poison in my system already and would like an alternative. Any suggestions?

Peace, Love, and Red Rope Licorice...

-Lemmey

2. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Zofran didn't work for you? How about a mixture of Zofran and Compazine? Or Cannibis? Some people really do get great releif from it. One of my best friends did a Zofran and Compazine cocktail and got pretty good releif. That and lying very still seemed to help her.

Blessing to you and for your recovery.

:)

3. guy

guy Senior Member

maybe you should look around for alternatives for chemo, they are out there.

4. Maggie Sugar

Not if you want to live.....excuse me for being so blunt.

He made it clear he was NOT looking for alternatives that to his chosen treatment. He only wanted info on how to help the nausea. Do youknow anything about CLL, guy?

5. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

I've known many people who had very positive results with medicinal use of cannabis. It can bring wondeful relief!
    Blessings, brother, you will be in my thoughts. I hope your treatment is successful and your health flourishes. :)

And, guy, I second what Maggie said. Show some respect and compassion.

6. guy

guy Senior Member

ahh wait a minute... i said maybe you should look around for alternatives. i said nothing more nor less, you have put your own spin on this. why do you feel that i have any less compassion than anyone else? i suggest that you turn your thoughts to the matter at hand and not attack me personally.

7. denimstar

denimstar edge of darkness

I'm sorry for what your going thru. I found a link you may want to check into & do realize these are for women who are pregnant but if I were you I might just give them a shot. It says they are all natural. Check the Queasy Pops. Good luck.
    http://www.threelollies.com/

8. Maggie Sugar

guy, there was no personal attack. The gentleman made it clear he didn't want "alternatives" to his treatment, just some help with the nausea.

Lemmey, I hope one or a combo of the meds suggested or the Cannabis, or a combo of all of them will help you to feel better.

Heal well.

9. Lemmey

Lemmey Member

I'm not happy with the meds I've been prescribed. I really don't wish to elaborate with all the gruesome details but suffice it to say that they don't agree with me. I'm not a big fan of cannibis, I've tried in past cycles but I found that I was way too drowsy or sleepy and the benefits didn't really last very long. All I'm trying to do is feel a bit less flu-like w/o expensive presecriptions, narcotics, or steroids.

BTW Guy, I took no offense to your suggestion of alternatives to chemo. I'm just not that much of a gambling man.

I would like to thank everyone for their sugguestions though,

Peace, Love, and CheezWhiz....

-Lemm

10. Maggie Sugar

Lemmy, did you try eating the cannibis? It works much LONGER than smoking and has less health risks. Some people find it also works better for nausea, as it is IN the digestive tract. If you don't want to use it, I understand, but I hope you feel better. Eat a few brownies on the way to your Session and maybe about 5-6 hours later, depending on how long it takes to wear off for you. I have found eaten cannibis lasts MUCH longer than smoked. But it takes about an hour to kick in.

Either lightly toasting the weed (about an ounce) and then adding it to a prepackaged brownie mix, or making "Honey Slides" where you also toast the weed, in a little oil or butter, and then add some honey and just swallow a tablespoon or so.

Good luck.

11. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Good point, Maggie. I forgot to mention that most MM patients I've known ingested it instead of smoking. Having friends like that certainly did help me when I was in the hospital. The pain meds they gave me recovering from surgery made me so nauseaus I couldn't hold anything down, and I actually ripped myself back open a couple of times while vomiting. None of my docs even understood why I was suddenly better, less nauseaus, and didn't require as high a pain med dosage - my friends had come to medicate me themselves! (I know this situation is much different from chemo, but eating it really might be worth trying.) :)

Heal well, Lemmy.

12. Lemmey

Lemmey Member

Thank you for the suggestions folks. Perhaps I'll try the brownies. This last cycle was brutal and I am about to give in and take the meds. At this point I'll try anything to not have another weekend like the last one.

13. Maggie Sugar

I hope your next cycle is less awful.

Blessings, brother. My thoughts are with you.

:)