Letting go of material things

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Angeldustblossom, May 24, 2004.

1. Angeldustblossom

Angeldustblossom Member

How do you do it? I just think of all the memories...i'm nostalgic but I want to end this cycle.

2. RainbowSquidney

RainbowSquidney Member

Maybe you could pick out a few things to keep, like your baby book or something. Give some things away to family members that would keep the item and appreciate it.
    Most other things just donate, sell, or recycle. You won't really miss them.

I'm a very simple person. The less I have the better. I've kept my baby book, my high school classbooks, and a few pictures that I love.
    The way I decide whether or not to keep something is if it was a time in my life that I love or some other material thing that I absolutely love.

Old love letters, most pictures, knick-knacks, etc. I've gotten rid of and I really don't miss anything. It's just clutter to me.
    I don't know....my husband thinks I'm anal so maybe you shouldn't follow my advice!!!
    ;)

3. pandiebeer

pandiebeer Member

I used to save everything I owned. It wasn't until I moved out of my parents house that I realized all I had was a bunch of junk. The best way to get rid of things for me is this: I get rid of everything I know I don't want. Then I separate and box up what I think I don't want, but can't decide. If I never go back to it in a years time I just take the boxes and get rid of the stuff. I use scrap books to sort out weird things like concert tickets and stuff that's flat that I can organize in it. Then it makes going back to your memories easier and it's something fun to do.

4. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

if there are things u want to get rid of but have special meaning.. take photos and make a scrap book :)

5. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

Letting go of things you isn't easy. When my family moved last year, it wasn't easy deciding what things to throw away and keep. The same will probably be true when I leave Japan. That's why I'm trying to not to buy too many things here, and live simply.

6. Velouria

Velouria Member

I have this problem too! I am about to move into an apartment for college and I have way too much stuff, including clothes. I am too emotionally attached to my stuff to get rid of it so it will be a very long process.

7. plainjanepatchwork

plainjanepatchwork Member

I hang onto my favorite stuff. Like I still have some of my favorite toys when I was a kid. But the rest I got rid of. It helps if you think that they will be getting better use some where else instead of sitting in your basement. I try to get rid of clothes that I haven't worn in two years. If it hasn't seen the light of day in two years you are never going to wear it again.

8. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

I just throw it out.. If i have used it in over a year... i wont miss it... so just throw it in a garbage bag and take it outside... or to a donation box... Just do it quickly and try not to think about it

9. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

freecycle the stuff you're getting rid of so that it doesnt end up in a landfill :D

it's hard to let go of things sometimes though. i need to cull a bunch of books, fabric, craft materials, kid's clothes, fat clothes... those are the easy things to get rid of though.

i find it hardest to get rid of presents that people have given me that just dont suit me at all. i have boxes full of gaudy knick knacks that i need to pass along. on one level i know that if i dont like it, dont use it and it doesnt make me happy that i shouldnt have to keep it, but there's an energy attachment on certain things because someone thought i would like them. bleh.

clearing clutter is supposed to be spiritually cleansing too. fung your shui! :D