Let's talk about ekoostik hookah

Discussion in 'Music' started by lizm, May 11, 2004.

1. lizm

lizm Member

ekoostik hookah...have you heard them? Seen them? Been to Hookahville?

I have....I first saw them in May of 1999, I bought tickets for Ratdog at Buckeye Lake, at an event I only sort of noticed was called "Hookahville". We showed up and felt immediately at home....everyone was smiling, Shakedown had come into the festival from the parking lot and taken over a large field in central Ohio.

We stuck around after Ratdog to see who the heck hookah was....and were shocked to see that while it had been crowded for Ratdog by the stage, out of somewhere were coming more people, maybe 2 times as many as we'd yet seen. WTF? Who ARE these guys?

120+ shows later, I proudly admit my addiction.....I love this band. All the rock I ever wanted, strong lead guitar, great songwriting with lyrics, structure, melodies....jamming of course but noodling? Nope.

Here's a video from a recent show...what do YOU think?

High bandwidth version: http://externalis.com/yurple/WebUtopiaHi.wmv

Low bandwidth version: http://externalis.com/yurple/WebUtopiaLow.wmv

:)

2. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

let's not and say we did.

3. lizm

lizm Member

Have you heard them cover Echoes?

4. schwahead

schwahead Senior Member

im with you there lizm

i love the band and the way they communicate and shoot the shit with the crowd

5. Sugar Magnolia

Sugar Magnolia Member

the first time i saw hookah play was valentine's day. dave broke his elbow but he jammed on his guitar and the keyboard like he was feeling no pain. it was amazing. the guys all looked so happy, they were always smiling and pointing at certain people in the crowd and making faces at them. i love their music and the crowd it attracts, it was a great valentine's day for me. i didn't get to see them at the ledges last time they were there and i won't be able to make it to the spring hookahville but i will be at the fall one for sure and i'm seeing them the next time they play at the ledges. did anyone hear anything about them playing in amsterdam next year? if they are i'm gonna try to be there.

6. lizm

lizm Member

They'll be at the Ledges again this summer....that fest is tied for favorite with the Hookahvilles for me...much smaller fest, maybe only 1500 or so, but you can SWIM in the quarry, the campsites there are so nice and shady and we always have a GREAT time.

July 30-August 1

http://www.nlqp.com/summerhookah04.htm

I saw them in February also, in Athens.....this was about the only moment Dave didn't use his broken wing:

[​IMG]

7. lizm

lizm Member

PS: All I've heard about Amsterdam is that they'd like to go back. If they do they're unlikely to annouce it until Halloween/Thanksgiving.

Personally I think they should alternate Amsterdam with Jamaica (where they've gone twice) - two totally different kinds of trips, one festivaley beachy thing where you never put on shoes, one a city/walking/coffeeshop type of thing.

I enjoy pretty much any vacation hookah takes us on but I could definitely return to those two.....

8. schwahead

schwahead Senior Member

2 more days till hookahville! i cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

9. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

I like it, but i think their trying waaaaaaaaaay too hard

10. TheGnome

TheGnome Member

Heard they're good, but haven't gotten into them much yet.

11. people_lovr

people_lovr Member

Haven't really heard much of there music, but i happened to meet them once. My old boss was really good friends with them. They are all awesome guys. I'll be seing them at Wakarusa soon. Should be a great time. yay!

~love n hugs ya'll~

12. octofryed

octofryed Member

hey liz,
    i just joined this forum today... typed in ekoostik... and there you were. anyhow, you know i love them since we've seen each other at so many shows. see you at the ledges in a couple weeks.

peace,
    doug

13. ekoostikhookahchick

ekoostikhookahchick Member

14. 7leafclover

7leafclover Member

They are great. Never fails to put me in a good mood.

15. ladyvanilla

ladyvanilla Member

Welp, anyone that knows me, knows that I am a diehard hookah fan. Who's going to the Toledo show? And who is ready for Nelson Ledges? I personally cannot wait. woohookah. peace,leslie

16. ekoostikhookahchick

ekoostikhookahchick Member

I'll be At the Ledges!!!!!!!!!=)

17. MelvnDoo

MelvnDoo Member

my first and only time i saw them i was COMPLETELY blown away. it was in Madison, WI and i was seeing them with Leftover. the guitar player totally captured my attention and didnt let go all night (well, while they played). sucks i missed them at wakarusa - got there at like, 2 am on friday morning, so, late thurs. night. but just in time to catch some of sts9´s set before they had to stop!