Lesson #2: Fasting

Discussion in 'You Are What You Eat!' started by skip, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Stabby

Stabby Member

Excellent class. I've fasted twice for detoxification purposes and I'm much healthier for both experiences. And of course the benefit wasn't only physical.

2. Hi, I've just read the information on fasting. I really feel like I want to give it a go for detox reasons. The mini fast you describe i.e. fasting all day would probably suit me because I have low blood sugar levels and if I don't eat in the morning I'm fucked for all day. I also don't need to lose weight so that isn't part of the equation. I read through the info but apologise if I missed some thing that would answer this question.....do you suggest this type of fasting is better maybe one day a week or two or three days together every month?

3. Stabby

Stabby Member

If you have blood sugar issues I propose a juice fast. Fruit juice and even solid fruit are the easiest types of food to digestion and will only hinder the detoxification process a little bit as long as you don't have too much. I recommend only organic, non-concentrated juice and low carbohydrate fruits. As I understand it the fructose alone will be enough to sustain your blood sugar levels.

4. Thanks for that! I usually juice my own fruit so that should be straight forward enough. I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm a 3 or 4 meals a day person normally so it should be interesting!!!

5. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

I've done two separate 5 day fasts before. I recently quit drinking, smoking and don't really use drugs anymore. Tomorrow morning I plan on starting a fast to cleanse myself. I'll be drinking water, tea, and juice to give my body some sugar and substance. I don't really have a set amount of time but I'd like to go more than 5 days as thats my old 'record'. One week would make me very proud.

6. elvispham

elvispham Member

7. Hazel Field

Hazel Field Member

I've never fasted before, but I've thought about it. It sounds like a fun experience but I don't think I'd be very good at it. My best friend has tried....maybe I'll try it with her sometime. :) then we can use each other for support! woo!

8. HerbalGuy

HerbalGuy Member

I just finished reading all the post in this thread and I've decided to finally take action and control of my life by joining you all in this class. My goal is to loose 30lbs and I think I will try out fasting since it seems like the best diet that will fit my lifestyle :)

Personally I don;t think that right now I will be able to do continues days without eating but my plan right now is to limit myself to one controlled meal per day. I work a lot (12-14 hour days are normal for me) and I don't go to bed until normally 2-3am. I think i will schedule my meals for around 12am which means that I can get in my regular hour work out before and then eat and digest some food before going to sleep 2 hours later on.

It's been about 14 hours since my last meal and I am more motivated then ever :)!

9. haha_wintaaa

haha_wintaaa Member

fasting is soo hard. I can't do it for more than a day before I get sick with headaches and weakness.

10. Paisley Skye

Paisley Skye Member

a fast that i once did i found in a nutrition book now long lost: five baked potatoes a day for three days. a proper explanation was never given, as i recall, but it did the job. paisley skye.

11. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Why do you suppose you get sick and weak? That is part of the cleansing process. When you fast, your system switches gears and goes into cleanup mode. Your digestion intensifies at first, but without the regular food fillup, it can manifest in irritability and hunger for a few days.

You don't say what kind of fast you tried, but to go straight into multi-day water or juice fast without preparation or practice is likely to result in an early termination of the fast. You could practice a one day fast a few times to get more used to the changes that occur.

Remember that once you get past a certain point, fasting becomes much easier. It's usually around the third day that your body gets used to doing without the usual caloric input, as it burns its own fat reserves.

When you burn your fat you release stored toxins as well. So a main goal of the fast is to remove such harmful built-up residue. Some people have a difficult time during this period due to so much toxins being released. That is why some ppl get sick and may even feel like they're being poisoned as toxins are processed out.

The preparation part before fasting is psychological. You should be mentally prepared to "do battle" with yourself and not let physical issues be an excuse for backing out. You do need to get more in touch with your body and fasting is an excellent way to it, but be smart about it. Try different kinds of fasts to find one that appeals to you and isn't too difficult.

Good luck!

12. haha_wintaaa

haha_wintaaa Member

That is excellent advice.thank you :)