Lesser-known browsers that are still supported

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Lucian Hodoboc, Jan 11, 2019.

1. maxmayer

maxmayer Members

CloudyMushroom likes this.
  2. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

One nice thing about Opera is an ext. called saved from net. It lets me down load videos off you tube . Save and watch them any time I like .

3. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

palemoon.org

Forked from Firefox. Gets frequent updates, quite capable. Only DRM-playback is not supported, this is by design.

4. alexsandro

alexsandro Members

VeePN possible. I have been using it for several months now and I’m happy with everything. Very convenient and reliable, without interruption in operation. And not particularly known to wide circles, but this is only for now, without a doubt.

5. quark

quark Parts Unknown

I saw someone using Microsoft Edge today and nearly vomited.

6. alexsandro

alexsandro Members

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: really? Microsoft Edge is still in our hearts :D

7. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I've never used this browser but from my understanding, apparently they just added this feature that pays users in cryptocurrency to watch specific ads.

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

9. this is fun

this is fun Banned

I use firefox. Even on my iMac.

10. Varmint

Varmint Member

I've used mozilla/firefox since they made it available. First on my WinXP netbook, then later after I shrunk the main partition and put puppy linux and pc-bsd on it. I've tried opera on occasion and it may still be on one of my netbooks. I may have others such as palemoon that I don't' use often, but I keep going back to firefox because I like it, even though it's kinda bloated these days. My all-time favorite is still Mosaic, which is what my old 386/DX-40 has on it. I haven't booted it up since about 2007, and my son tells me it probably doesn't have enough ram to load a common webpage these days. He may be right, but I might have to drag that box out of storage just to see. I had 32mb on the main board, and another 16mb on the cache controller card, giving it 48mb total. It ran as good as the pentium systems back then. Yeah, I'm going to have to try that out again, just so I can run mosaic once more, even if I can't connect anywhere with it but gopherspace (if there's any of that still around).

My daughter thinks I'm such a antique goob.

11. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

I'd love to switch to Linux and get away from Microsoft completely but it's really hard to port files over .

12. Varmint

Varmint Member

Mosaic, as I recall, also supported gopherspace and telnet. I used this on my old 386sxl-25 back in the 90's until I got a stack of small motherboards for AT cases for $5 each. Half were the SX (16-bit) variety, while half were DX (32-bit) boards. I think the electrolytic caps were going out on them. I put my favorite 386DX-40 tower in the shed about ten years ago, and it still had Mosaic on it, along with a few other oldies. By the time I shelved it, I was using a netbook, if I recall correctly.

I still miss mosaic.

ZenKarma likes this.
  13. Varmint

Varmint Member

Are you playing games on your system?

14. Varmint

Varmint Member

I copy them to a thumbdrive, and copy from that to the linux system. Works really well, and I've done it with a bunch of files at once. Everything on a Windows PC is visible from linux, at least so far. Windows, however, hasn't been able to read my linux formatted drives, so make sure your usb drive has a fat file system on it.

15. Firefox is awesome and isn't related to microsoft

16. Varmint

Varmint Member

Ignore this. I replied to my own post

17. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

I just heard that the new Edge is based on Google Chrome. It seems that Microsoft has given up on the Browser Wars & basically doing no more than reskinning Chrome.

18. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I have Opera but don't think I've ever used it.

19. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Ah man!!