Lesser-known browsers that are still supported

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Lucian Hodoboc, Jan 11, 2019.

1. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

They were all over the browser that was often several pages long and included news and other items that you did not want when you using a browser.
    Microsoft are very cunning and work within the laws of a country, so perhaps UK law gave them more freedom than in your part of the world.
    The problem is that no one is going to the colossal expense of running a browser unless it is making them money, so the more sophisticated it is, the more information it will be collecting from you for them to sell on. The same is true of companies who offer web-mail free of charge. The problem is, that if I send you an email from our own private secure system, my data will still be picked up your end. That is why banks and governments have private networks and will not communicate with the public via email.

2. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

When I decided to jettison Internet Explorer 11 I never considered any of the lesser known browsers although some are reported to be very good so for me it was a choice between Google Chrome and Firefox.
    The former is guilty of the same intrusive behavior as IE / Microsoft / Edge is so they were out. Firefox on the other hand stays out of my personal business is well developed and fast so that's the one for me.
    If you haven't used it try it , I think you'll like it.

3. lode

lode Banned

Edge is switching to Chromium. That means there are only going to be two supported browser families. Chromium and Mozilla.

4. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

Well there are others out there with support etc. Opera comes to mind but the thing is Windows 10 / Edge is extremely intrusive compared to earlier versions that's why I refused an upgrade to 10 for free. That intrusive tendency will not be lessened with Chrome. I used to use Chrome which is a good browser but it's not as fast as Firefox nor nearly as private. I use Firefox and and with it I can choose from several search engines so I'm using Duck Duck Go , love it !
    BTW from what I'm reading it isn't Google's Chrome but a sort of chrome clone so with Microsoft's weak history in the area of browsers don't expect much. Their problem is bloated software always coming up with great ideas but loading it up with so much baggage it can hardly stay up and running. Geez !

5. lode

lode Banned

Opera uses chromium under the hood. Chromium is the googles open source browser which Microsoft will be using as the basis for edge. It will probably help them, especially in terms of them not having to keep their own javascript rendering engine up to date. I agree with Microsoft's historical problems.

Opera (web browser) - Wikipedia

6. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

Yes very familiar with Chrome but it does appear the Microsoft Edge version is a chrome clone so count on it not performing as Google Chrome does and I might add Chrome itself isn't what it was when first released. I used it personally for several years and watched it's performance lag.The essential problem with both Google and Microsoft is piling on stuff under the hood which greatly affects performance and with Microsoft even their so called utopian OS Windows 10 is a joke good at only one thing spying on it's users . In producing their chrome clone they're effectively admitting their own efforts at creating a fast, user friendly safe browser has been a miserable failure.

Again I recommend Firefox with Duck Duck Go to avoid this mess.

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Man... chrome can't be updated anymore on my phone (Samsung s3). Means I should switch browsers or stop surfing the web on my phone.. any recommendations?

8. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

That phone is pretty dated if it can’t support current software. You should consider upgrading.

9. Asmodean

Its my first and only smartphone so far. But since most apps still support it I don't see why chrome can't at all anymore. I was planning on keep using this phone for years

10. lode

lode Banned

McFuddy's right unfortunately. 2012 is many lifetimes ago in smartphones.

When you develop any android application, you have to target a minimum version of android to support. You do this so you'll have access to the latest API's which android will support. Unfortunately it sounds like chrome is no longer targeting 4.3 (Jelly Bean).

You could root your S3, then install LineageOS on it. Then you can install up to android 7.12 on your samsung S3.

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Im actually curious as to how the hell an S3 lasted 6 years

12. Asmodean

It's quite easy. I don't get how some people need a new one almost every year

13. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

To begin with an S3 is a very good phone and at the time represented a very large slice of the smartphone market highly functional and agile . The only problem for most android smartphones has been that software updates have been largely up to the manufacturer not Google who owns the system and licenses those manufacturers. The Pixel by Google is the only Android which receives regular updates.
    It's obvious why what I've described is the case, simply because that after a few years when apps no longer install their updates or web surfing becomes laborious the owner will decide to jettison their phone in favor of a new one. Sales are good , for them that is.
    A final note here is that Google is currently working on a new OS ( presently called Fuchsia ) eventually replacing Android which has been around since 2008 , couple this with the fact that 5g rollout is in process so it's advisable not to purchase a new smartphone right now anyway as the majority of them will not function on 5g. The new 5g is a game changer when it's up and running as everyone sees what it's capable of 4g will become obsolete very quickly.

14. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Ya I thought so cause Netscape and FF look the same kinda.......

15. maxmayer

maxmayer Members

Internet Explorer :D the father of all browsers

16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

17. maxmayer

maxmayer Members

LOL:grinning::grinning::grinning:

18. KathyL

KathyL Super Moderator Super Moderator

Hardly. Microsoft came out with IE (using Mozilla open source code) in order to compete with Netscape.

Asmodean likes this.
  19. maxmayer

maxmayer Members

Oh i did not know that

20. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member