Less Toxic Artistic Materials

Discussion in 'Art' started by JonJRR88, Dec 31, 2021.

1. JonJRR88

JonJRR88 Members

I know a number of visual artists who, in fact, have become profoundly ill by working with very toxic artistic materials.

Please be mindful of these issues, work with proper ventilation and make sure you are safe.

I actually know a couple of folks who have become permanently disabled by these kinds of mistakes.

And these days, there are many, many options for lower VOC materials, safer materials, etc.

2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Good point!

Remember the Ghost Ship in Oakland? That's an example of dangerous materials in 'art' ~

3. JonJRR88

JonJRR88 Members

sorry, was not familiar.

Yeah, folks have to handle chemicals properly. No shortcuts.

I mean, it would be nice if we could just be super mellow about it all and being super mellow would cover all the bases. But it doesn't. If you have an ambient VOC level of too many ppm, things go boom.

~Zen~ likes this.
  4. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

The Ghost Ship was a famous 'squat' in Oakland.

Artist's collective they called themselves... ran extension cords from illegal ppower connections throught out the place, held rave parties where people would be spray painting and creating art while partying.

What could go wrong when the staircases inside were made from wooden pallets simply staked upon each other, piles of canvases, and other highly flammable art work everywhere... it was very crowded.

Well one night in a rave party a fire broke out, and poof something like 36 people died horribly.

Here is the complete story on Wikipedia...
    Ghost Ship warehouse fire - Wikipedia