Leo Kottke concert report.

Discussion in 'Music' started by MeAgain, May 8, 2019.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I didn't realize what a flake he is.
    Anyway Kottke, for those who don't know, is known as a master of the acoustic guitar.
    He also sings from time to time and has described his voice as "geese farts on a muggy day".[1]
    Here's a sample on 12 string:
    So this was a small venue, 480 seats...he filled about a little over half.
    We had excellent box seats for some reason, I don't know why. There were only two boxes.

Anyway he was supposed to start at 7:30 but by 7:40 he hadn't appeared yet. Then a door opened on the side of the stage and he walked out carrying a six string in one hand and a 12 string in the other. He sat on a chair and apologized for being late. He said he didn't realize it was time to come on stage then he got lost and finally found a door and opened it not realizing it was a stage door...and here he was.

He played excellent guitar and in between songs rambled on about strange things that often made little sense. Like explaining to us that sometimes he wonder's whose hand that is (and he waved his right hand) and especially his left as from time to time he wants to play something but his hand, especially his left, plays something else then he can't figure out what's going on.

Then he explained that when he gives concerts it's just him and his guitars so he can go to small venues and then said this wasn't one. So he can go where Paul McCartney can't cause he isn't Paul McCartney. But he found it strange when he was giving a concert somewhere and someone said Paul McCartney was back stage so he went back stage and there was McCartney surrounded by, like, thirty people. He didn't know what to say to Paul so he said, "Why are all these people here?" And Paul said, "Well I asked a friend to come along, then he asked a friend , and they asked a friend and here we are." Then he looked at him funny and walked away. He never saw McCartney again.

And he complained about his shirt. The sleeves were too long, but he got it for free at a concert in Idaho when he found it back stage, so that was good.

He played and rambled about strange things for an hour and a half, then announced this is the end of the set, he doesn't have a set he just plays whatever he feels like, then said "Here's the encore so we can all leave at the same time." He played that then unplugged his guitar, picked the other one up and started to walk off stage until he realized he couldn't open the door with a guitar in each hand.
    So he kicked the handle with his foot and disappeared.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Sounds like a good hour and a half to me! :)

MeAgain likes this.
  3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I watched the video to find out what geese farts on a muggy day sounds like
    He has a pleasant voice but I honestly dont think his voice lives up to the description

MeAgain likes this.
  4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I first heard of him because someone recommended chet atkins and kottke was playing with him. I didn't see anyone live though. I'm sorry that it was a lackluster event. Sounds like they could have/should have done more to make sure the folks in attendance were having fun with him.

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

You could have ended your post right here...

6. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Did you actually like the show? How much did it cost?

7. MeAgain

Yes, the show was pretty good. Excellent seats, small venue and he is a fantastic player.
    Low key, it wasn't like seeing Roger Waters or King Crimson....but good.

I think it was like, 50 bucks or something...my wife handles that.

8. MeAgain

No, it was a good concert. I'm glad I went.

He did bring up Chet Atkins. He said he gave him a call one time to record something with him and while in the studio he and an engineer were in the control booth as Atkins was getting ready to play his part. Chet then played something Leon had never heard and said it was fantastic and he and the engineer were stunned. So he asked the engineer if he recorded it and the engineer said no he missed it which really upset them both. So they asked Atkins to play it again but Chet refused because he said he didn't want to show off.

Then Chet said he'd play his part like Duane Eddie would play it, if you know who Duane Eddy is. Which he did, and Leon said he had just heard the most fantastic playing he ever heard and all he got was a recording that sounded like a man (Duane Eddy) who based his entire career on seven notes.

soulcompromise likes this.
  9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I’ve seen Leo a few times, usually festivals or opening slots.

MeAgain likes this.
  10. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

This one is how I know of Kottke. "Sleepwalk". Good one.

I wish it would let me post the link without code tags. lol sorry. I know it's not the Currently Listening To thread here. :)