lemon juice

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by _DeLiA_, May 29, 2004.

1. _DeLiA_

_DeLiA_ Member

i have medium brown hair, i've tried to use that shit called sun in to lighten my hair but it just turned it orange. i'm wondering if lemon juice will make my hair blonder but not orange. also how do i do it? just pour strait lemon juice in my hair and lay in the sun for 3 hours?

2. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

well with dreads we use it to lighten our hair but i was told 50% juice 50% water in a spray bottle, spay a bit on your hair and then let the sun do the rest, however it drys your hair out so use some aloe vera (or conditioner if u use that) to keep your hair from breaking or getting weak.

3. marymicrogram

marymicrogram Member

Steep 6 chamomile tea bags in one cup of water for 15 minutes, add the tea to 1/2 cup of plain yogurt and 7 drops of lavender oil. Mix and apply to dry hair, cover with plastic wrap and wait for thirty minutes. Shampoo and condition your hair.

Put 3 tablespoons grated rhubarb root into 2 cups of boiling water. Put it in a spray bottle and spray it in your hair. You won't have to wash it out.

Put 1/2 cup of tumeric into a medium-sized bowl and add boiling water until it's like a thin paste, then add 2 cups of conditioner and mix. Wash your hair and apply the paste liberally, then let it sit for ten minutes, and then wash it out.

Mix one cup lemon juice with one cup water, apply to wet hair and sit out in the sun for an hour. Then shampoo and condition. Repeat every day until hair gets lighter.

4. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

I have really dark hair and when I was younger I tried sun-in and got the same orange results you did. When I went to a hairstylist to get dye over it they told me they would have to strip my hair or wait until it grows out because that stuff is STRONG! Hope the lemon juice helps!

5. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

If you have dark hair, hydrogen Peroxide will turn your hair orange. Kinda hard to avoid.

6. waterlily5

waterlily5 Member

You can use straight lemon juice for really natural, brown-gold highlights in dark hair- it won't make it competely blonde though- just comb it through and sit in the sun for a few hours (use conditioner cos it does dry your hair) good luck!

7. The Smiling Frog

The Smiling Frog Member

I have medium brown hair. When I was little my grandmother told my cousin and I she used to use lemon juice to lighten her hair. So my cousin poured an entire bottle of straight lemon juice in my hair. I didn't think it would do anything. My hair dried all crunchy and when I washed it out later it was white! So be careful how much you use. If you have dark hair anything that will lighten hair will probably turn you hair red, so you'll have to do it twice and leave it in longer.

8. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

EVIL EVIL! This is thread #6666!

Have a great day!

9. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

why not just hang out in the sun until your hair lightens?

10. Bohemian_Child

Bohemian_Child Member

my hair lightens naturally in the sun... ive herd spritzing a little lemon juice/water mix can help too, though. just hang out outside with your hair down, the color should change naturally.

11. Bohemian_Child

Bohemian_Child Member

i whipped out my 'natural beauty recipes' book. heres some more suggestions:

"after shampooing try one of the following rinses. aech recipe makes enough for one application. always rinse your hair witht he coolest water you can stand for at least one minute after using these rinses.

chamomile: this will lighten fair hair. to make a rinse, pour 2 cups boiling water ofver 1/4 cup chamomile flowers. cool; strain before using

rhubarb: this will lighten hair. use 1/4 cup chopped, fresh rhubarb to 2 cups boiling watr. cool; strain before using

sage, lavender and cinnamon: this will darken hair. use 1/4 cup sage or lavender (or 3 cinnamon sticks; broken into small pieces) to 2 cups boiling water. cool; strain

hibiscus flowers: these will give red highlights to light or dark hair. use dry flowers or herbal tea containing hibiscus flowers. Steep the flowers in boiling water to the shade you desire. cool; strain before using. remember you can always go darker so start out with a weak mixture"

(this is from Natural Beauty at Home by Janice Cox, by the way)

hope this helps!

12. xdancingbarefootx

xdancingbarefootx Member

sun in is very bad for your hair

when i was lil... i use to go to the pool alot... and the chlorine and the sun made my hair much lighter

13. PuZuZu

PuZuZu Member

i have dark blonde hair, i sprizted shitloads of lemon juice in my hair and hung out in clear skies, 90 degree weather and nothing happened =\.

14. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

Due to the pigments in our hair, natural blondes are the hardest to lighten. A hair stylist told me that...

When I was a teen, I wanted white hair. We did *EVERYTHING* to get the color out. To no avail... There was *always* a tinge of yellow, no matter what...

So, yeah, if you are naturally blonde, you might find it difficult to *really* lighten your hair...

15. Sunset_tree

Sunset_tree Member

So..how would i do this? I want to lighten my hair,(I am a redish-brown), and i want it to be more blonde. I have the lemon juice..what do I do with it? Do I simply pour it on my hair and let it sit for a while, or what??

-In Need of help