Lefty guitar?

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by Beleg, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Beleg

Beleg Member

Im gonna start taking guitar lessons soon, and Im looking for a good left handed guitar for a beginner. I have about 300$ to spend, any suggestions?

2. alice_d_millionaire

alice_d_millionaire Just Do It©

goin for acoustic or electric?

3. Beleg

Beleg Member

Bah. Forgot to put that in there. Im goin' electric.

4. michiganhippie

michiganhippie Member

Try looking on musiciansfriend.com. Anything for $300 won't be perfect, but something in that price range should be fairly decent. There are reviews for most instruments, which I'd recommend reading before making a final decision.

5. alice_d_millionaire

alice_d_millionaire Just Do It©

you cn get a standard fender strat for like $369... thats as close to $300 as you can get with out gettin too shitty...

6. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

For that price you're probably going to be getting a Squire Strat or something along them lines. Go to your nearest big guitar store or try online. I'm a lefty myself, and it can be a pain sometimes, but thats usually only when your deadset on a specific guitar....

7. Oric

Oric Member

I'm left handed, and I play right handed bass. Handedness dosen't really matter, you can train either hand to do anything. I didn't really have much of a choice, and right handed instruments are more readily avaliable.

8. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Eh, some people don't like strats... standard series doesn't have that great of a fit and finish, but I'm playing a standard as my other strat is gone from when we were broken into. I don't, really, I'm just stuck with one till I get something better. My Gibson has had a short in it ever since it was sent from the factory and I'm getting really pissed at Gibson's Quality Control, even though their prices are going up. For a little over $300 you could get something in the Ibanez Artcore line. I played a Scofield model yesterday and I'm thinking about going with one of theirs when I sell my other two electrics, even though I've never liked Ibanez's solid-body guitars. I do love their hollows and semi-hollows.

9. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

buy a right handed guitar and learn backwards... youll thank yourself one day

10. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Oh yes, right handed guitars are cheaper too.
    Plus I think it sounds alot better with the tremolo backwards.

11. Floyd Soul

I think he meant learn righthanded....

I never bothered to do that.... I felt that if I learnt the way that naturally felt right I would play better.

12. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

i dont play giutar, but on a scale of 1 to fan-freaking-tastic...right handed guitars flipped upside-down looks awesome

13. Floyd Soul

They do?

As far as electrics go, I wanna use a proper lefty. But with acoustics I don't mind so much. If it's a righthanded without a cutaway, I'll just restring it.

14. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

well Les Pauls don't, but Strats do

[​IMG]

as compared to

[​IMG]

but thats just my opinion

15. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

I have an Ibenez left handed electric and a Yamaha left handed acoustic. They both serve my purposes quite well. I got both at Sam Ash Music in Nashville.

16. Floyd Soul

But thats Hendrix man! I don't think an upside down strat would look cool on everyone. Hendrix was the first to do it, and the man also knew a thing or two about cool.... :D

17. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

well, IMO buddy's got it going on, but for like, the mind-blowing noise and squealing stuff, i still like the flipped one