leaving town for 5 days

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing' started by ahimsa, Mar 18, 2008.

1. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Hi,
    SO I unexpectedly need to leave my plants for 5 days at the 3rd week of 12/12(I know worse time).

What is the best way to handle this? I'm hoping to sex the before I go. I might just turn off the lights.

Does anybody know of a good watering system that will work for 5 days? I usually water every other day.

Cheers

2. BudBill

BudBill Dark Helmet

If you put them in 3-5 gallon pots with a lil vermiculite and water until the tray has water in it you should be fine. I wouldn't leave them in complete darkness for 5 days unless you are ready for them to die.

You could build a drip system. Reservoir, Timer, Pump, line and some drip emitters. Check out NaturalHi's grow log for a look at his setup. It would work on a soil grow but you would have to adjust the volume of water delivered. Though it should be used only for the odd period as the girls prefer a dry/wet cycle.

3. Naturalhi

Naturalhi Great hairy ape

Yeah I agree BB there are timers out there that may be set to water every 1-? days and for soil one would need only a few mins every few days.

4. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Alright, I think I'm going to put a little water in the trays and cut my light back to 8hrs/day so as to reduce the amount of heat . Do you think this will work?

5. BudBill

BudBill Dark Helmet

What you could do is have the pots placed in a container that would have a 3+" inch space (raise the pot off the bottom of it). Force some nylon rope 3-4 strands through the soil and the bottom of the pot so there is 3-4" laying in the bottom pan and the top part 3/4 near the top of the plant's pot. Use a dowel, and tape or wire the rope to it, so you can push it through. then gently push the soil a bit to ensure good contact.

The nylon rope will wick the water into the pot as needed. The more water in the tray the longer time it will take before it needs refilling.

For the lights, depending on the rate of growth, I would just raise the lights a bit so the tops wouldn't get toasty.