Learning To Play Music As An Adult

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by PoeticPeacenik, Nov 22, 2020.

1. PoeticPeacenik

PoeticPeacenik Read my bio ❤ ✌

If you start learning a musical instrument in your adult years (any age after age 20), can you still become good enough to play in a band? I dont neccesarily mean a professional band per se but maybe a local amateur band that plays gigs.

2. Jude96

Jude96 Members

If you have the time to dedicate to it, sure. Like anything it takes a lot of practice. What instrument are you looking to play? I only know my way around a guitar, but my whole life on and off I've played with little bands. Nothing recently; but up until my mid 30s from my teenage years. If you are into it I would at least go for it and try to learn.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  3. PoeticPeacenik

PoeticPeacenik Read my bio ❤ ✌

Is it okay if I PM you?

4. Jude96

Jude96 Members

yeah you can

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I picked up the pipes when I was 40. I simply lacked the requisite discipline and focus when I was younger.

6. DiagonalZone

DiagonalZone Member

i guess they say you cant learn to be like a classical pianist if you dont start when youre a kid (where did i hear this, maybe a lie if youre focused enough?)
    i messed around a little on guitar as a teenager but never practiced much at all and could never even play chords. the last few years i've been able to start playing them (even tho i mute strings too much and am too stubborn to lower the action on my guitar) i cant really play any songs that well but im not the most consistent or focused either so i think thats my 2 cents and a testament on how time effort fascination and probably most importantly the determination/will power and confidence/faith can get you anywhere. my slightly humorous guess is that navigating the sometimes strange social landscape of small local bands might actually be more difficult than learning an instrument

tjr1964 likes this.
  7. BenS Alaskan

BenS Alaskan Members

Yes you can. I have been on hiatus of the guitar for twenty years. Picked every pandemic day now. Eric Clapton makes sense rock and roll is a skill like pole vaulting. Do it over and over. Kirk Hammett told me once. Just keep playing. You’ll get it

tjr1964 likes this.
  8. Mfmca42

Mfmca42 Members

I use to teach guitar lessons and 90% of my students were older men. Most were recently retired with a little more time on their hands. They all learned how to play guitar. So it’s doable.

9. Coven

Coven Members

Absolutely doable! It's easier in a lot of ways since you're making the decision to do it - not being forced into it lot a lot of folks were.

10. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

My lifelong ambition is to play this work at the proms,
    I intend to start practicing again tomorrow,
    Problem is, that tomorrow never comes.

11. TonyH

TonyH Members

You absolutely can! Especially if you're talkin age twenty. I've taught musicians in their 40s and 50s how to play and they were able to play in some bands for fun.

12. zer0

zer0 Members

Yes late bloomers are the best! I would even say an adult who has the drive to learn will cover way more ground faster than a young kid. You know how sometimes there's a challenging movie or book you read as a teen and it's ok, but it isn't until you're an adult that it suddenly clicks? That's exactly how music is; it's not just learning where your fingers go, but it's about your understanding of the material on a higher level, making it effortless to play.

I was trained in piano as a kid and never really went anywhere with it--just good enough to play the notes in the right order I guess. I quit and didn't touch music for nearly 10 years. Then one day, late 20s, I heard a Beethoven piece that I'd never been able to play before, went home and suddenly was able to play it (well not 'suddenly' lol, I must've annoyed the neighbours til 4am smacking away). My point is, with adulthood there comes a maturity that helps us understand what music is, not just how it sounds. I really wish music were commonly taught to adults because I bet there are some real virtuosi waiting to be born especially in their later years.

13. MidtownMind

MidtownMind Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes, sure you can become good enough.

I played the trumpet and then the drums, starting when I was a wee’un…still play the drums, as a matter of fact. But I didn’t pick up the acoustic guitar until I was in my late 30s. I enjoy it, so much.

tjr1964 likes this.
  14. tjr1964

tjr1964 Members

Get chords, scales and techniques under your belt, those things are all inter connected .

Learn you favorite song, those song will developed you ears and subliminally teach you m
    Music Theory .

This device can slow down a CD and it will not affect the pitch .
    It's a great learning tool and you can slow down any fast solo or complex song passages and you can do what ever song verbatim .
    20221116_210929.jpg 20221116_210929.jpg 20221116_210929.jpg