learning the gee-tar

Discussion in 'Music' started by peacelizard, Jun 6, 2004.

1. peacelizard

peacelizard Member

Hey, I'm teaching myself guitar, and i know a few random chords to produce a sound, but now I want to focus more on learning guitar instead of playing around.

Do any of ya'll got any ideas on what should I start with? Should I learn tradional music notation or the tabluture or just focus on barr chords and regular chords.

Um, any advice would help. Thanks

2. Style

Style Member

play what you like, because theres gotta be a song or band that made you want to play the guitar.

Also, download guitar pro. its a cool comp program that lets you hear the guitar tab.

it uses special tabs that can be downloaded at http://www.mysongbook.com

there's also a link for guitar pro off the site mentioned above.

3. 7leafclover

7leafclover Member

Personally, I would learn tablature. That is what I started with after I knew some chords. I go to http://www.thetabworld.com

4. peacelizard

peacelizard Member

Thanks for advice, I'll take it to mind. Now it's up to me to pracite.

5. SoFarAway

SoFarAway Friendly Fried Guy

What i did.

Took lessons for a few weeks, got bored. Quit.
    Picked up my favorite bands tab/music book, and learned how to read tabs.
    Then, practiced at least a half hour every day.
    After that, the possibilities are endless.

pracitce practice practice.

6. jerry420

jerry420 Doctor of everything Lifetime Supporter

7. thehipsterdufus

thehipsterdufus Member

8. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

tabrobot is my saviour. use it. use it. use it.

and olga.net is alright. it has a good chord generator which i use when i'm *ahem* stuck.

u can pretty much learn everything u need these days from the net.

9. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Learn Bass instead. Easier to find a band that way

10. Micro

Micro Member

Get to know the guitar. When you look down at the fret board, know that starting with the heaviest string it's E A D G B E.

Then learn the chords A B C D E F G. Start off with major chords then learn the minor. Then the barre chords for each of those major and minor. When you are using a major barre chord look down at the position of your fingers and you will see your index finger is like a capo and the rest of your fingers are in an E major position.

Then become familiar with the fret board. Those markers will come in very handy. Try doing an exercise moving up the fret board starting with low E string.
    E-open
    F-1st fret
    G-3
    A-5
    B-7
    C-8
    D-10
    E-12 *the 2 dots indicate an octave betweeen the high & low E

These strings are your root notes and are the foundation to any song.

Then there are the basic 3 note chord progressions, heard in blues, country, rock and r & b.
    E A B
    G C D
    A D E
    C F G
    D G A

Then solo between those progressions when you learn scales.

11. DeepTurquoise

DeepTurquoise Member

Is it true it's easier to learn bass if you learn guitar first, or does my dad just not want me to go out and buy one?

12. jamestowne

jamestowne Member

Yeah man, play what you like because it'll help you practice more. Learn EVERYTHING! Basic chords are the best place to start; like with folk, or punk, or something that uses a lot of simple chords. Learn Minors, sevenths, minor sevenths, major sevenths and then keep learnng chords you don't know. I always do that by learning songs I like with chords I don't know, which is when tabs come in handy. Learn tabs and eventually do learn to read and write music because it will come in handy.

And above all learn an instrument that's not guitar. Everybody and their mother and grandfather plays guitar. Learn banjo, mandolin, fiddle/violin, or the drums, or bass, or harmonica. It sucks when you show up to play music and EVERYONE'S got a guitar and NO ONE has anything else.

13. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

i took lessons for a while, got tired of em and quit. then i just started playing by ear, i learned some chords but for the most part just listend to a song over and over untill i could play it. I hated tab, dunno why.......

14. peacelizard

peacelizard Member

Thanks again. I'm starting to kind of make up a lesson plan for myself, I'm planning on practicing thirty minutes each day, sometimes twice on weekdays (I'm on summer vacation).

After I get the basics down (chords, tab, notes, etc.) I'll trying start looking for a band around in my area (kind of little high school band). I already play clarinet and go to lessons, that was kind of my introduction into music. Now I want to kind of do something on my own.

I would think that playing guitar before bass would be easier except that the notes are different and stuff. Playing bass means you'd have to be more in touch with rhythm though, I guess.

Thanks.

15. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

Why would playing bass be easier than guitar? And yeah, if your a bassist, you'll always have bands that want you, even if you are'nt that good. Guitarists are a dime a dozen, play something different.