Layered Soup in a Jar

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by cerridwen, Jan 1, 2005.

1. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I didn't know if this goes in Munchies or here.... but it's kinda crafty so whatever... very cool looking!

Chicken Noodle and Minestrone Soup in a Jar Recipes
    Layered soup in a jar makes a super stand-alone gift any time. But combined in a "theme" gift basket they make an even more impressive gift in a jar presentation. Inexpensive ingredients and quick to assemble!

Layered Minestrone and Chicken Noodle Soup in a Jar

I made these layered soup in a jar recipes for my Christmas gift baskets last year. They were nestled in a Rice Buddy Hot Pack along with soda crackers, pine cones, a Christmas ornament and homemade kahlua. All this in a clementine orange crate wrapped in cellophane and tied with curling ribbon.

This idea would also be a great pick-me-up for a friend who has the flu. Pack in a crate or basket: a Rice Buddy Hot Pack, Chicken Noodle Soup in a Jar, cough drops, Vicks vapor rub, and a good book. Sure to be well received!

Recipe: Chicken Noodle Soup in a Jar

Ingredients:

1/4 cup of red lentils
    2 tbsp. dried onion flakes
    2 1/2tsp. chicken bouillon powder
    1/2 tsp. dried dill weed or dill seed
    1/8 tsp each celery seed and garlic powder
    approximately 1 cup medium egg noodles
    1 bay leaf.

Directions:

In a two-cup jar, layer from bottom in the order listed above, then seal the jar.

Write these instructions on your gift tag:

Bring 8 cups of water to boil in large saucepan. Stir in jar of soup mix. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Discard bay leaf and stir in 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn or mixed vegetables and 2 cups of cooked, diced chicken or turkey. Simmer for five minutes until vegetables are tender and chicken is heated through.

Recipe: Minestrone Soup Gift in a Jar

Ingredients:

1/4 cup red lentils
    1/4 cup green split peas
    1/4 cup barley
    1/3 cup beef bouillon powder
    2 tbsp. parsley flakes
    3 tbsp. onion flakes
    1/3 tsp. thyme
    1/3 tsp. pepper
    1 tsp. basil
    approximately 1/4 cup alpabet macaroni

Directions:

In a two-cup jar, layer from bottom in the order given, then seal the jar.

Include these instructions on your gift tag:

In a very large saucepan combine 8 to 10 cups of water, a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes, and soup mix. Add 2 chopped carrots, and 2 to 4 chopped potatoes (optional: 2 cups chopped cabbage). Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for one hour or until peas are tender. Enjoy!