lava lamp appreciation day

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by lucyinthesky16, Jul 26, 2006.

1. ImaMuffin

ImaMuffin Member

change the bulb

2. LucyInTheSky777

LucyInTheSky777 Member

i would love a lava lamp day. that would be awesome. :)

3. farabovetheclouds

farabovetheclouds Member

lava lamps are awesome! I remember having one when i was a kid, i used to be scared of the dark so it was a great nightlight for me :) there's something quite reassuring and comforting about the way the wax moves in the water.

i braught another one not that long ago and it still has the same comforting effect, just in time for lava lamp appreciation day too :D

4. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

What color is everyone's lava lamp? Mine is pinkish-purple

5. LauraMay

LauraMay Rainbow Humper

I don't have a lava lamp but I think I'm going to buy one. They look very cool :)

6. farabovetheclouds

farabovetheclouds Member

Mine's the same colour as yours. I love it[​IMG]

7. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Mine has purple water and orange lava.

8. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

ha this is weird...mine used to be blue water with green lava, but i don't know, i must have left it in the sun, because now it's CLEAR water with yellow lava! it still works, but i liked it better when it was blue :(

9. lily.moonflower.

lily.moonflower. Member

i have got to get myself a lava lamp

i love those things, my cousin used to have a blue one with green lava. i used to stare at it for hours when i went to her place. hahaha

10. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I bought my lava lamp at target.

Although the Lava Lamp was invented in 1963 by Edward Craven-Walker, and patented by his company in 1964, the US Patent dates to 16 March, 1971. There are conflicting records at the US Patent Office that also state that the Lava Lamp was submitted for patent by David George Smith on behalf of Craven-Walker's Crestworth Company in 1968 under the heading 'display devices'. Whichever the case, only the companies that make Lava Lamps know precisely what chemicals are in the lamp and in what combination, making the recipe a trade secret.

Random Facts
    • Employees take an oath of secrecy upon being hired so that the mystery of the Lava Lamp's inner workings are never revealed.
    • Lava Lamps can be seen almost every night on prime time television.
    • Haggerty Enterprises, Inc is the only official manufacturer of the Lava Brand Motion Lamp in the United States. Mathmos is the only official manufacturer of the Lava Lamp in the UK.
    • More Lava Lamps were sold in the 1990s than in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s combined.
    • The Lava Lamp has been hailed an American icon by everyone ranging from People magazine to the Smithsonian Institute.
    • The Lava Brand Century Motion Lamp was the first US style created and the Astro Lamp was the first UK style. Both are still top sellers today.
    • There are over 100 different style and colour combinations of Lava lamps, including glitter motion lamps.
    • The largest Lava Lamp on the market towers over four feet tall and holds ten gallons of the 'secret' formula.
    • No two Lava Lamps are the same. They all have their own personality.
    If you buy my lamp, you won't need drugs... I think it will always be popular. It's like the cycle of life. It grows, breaks up, falls down and then starts all over again.
    - Craven-Walker

11. jahmerimaka

jahmerimaka Member

i had a lava lamp with a black base and cap, and it had purple lava, it was teh shit. but brokededed

now i have a sliver base and top, with blue lava.
    but its brokedededed.

i need a new one.

12. LikeanArtist

LikeanArtist Member

Question: I just found a new lava lamp at the thrift shop. It works fine, but the "liquid" has a ton of tiny air bubbles. Why? Is it affecting it? It isn't cloudy...its airy.

Anyway, love the idea. I run mine all the time, so much better than watching a tv all night.

13. Jedite83

Jedite83 Van Dweller

my lamp is blue with a pale-yellow lava.
    As for a date: Feb 29th, however if the year is not a leap-year then it will be instead be the entire month of september.

14. RainbowUnicorn

RainbowUnicorn Member

I thought every day was Lava Lamp Appreciation Day! LOL :) In answer to your question, squawkers7, my lava lamp has a black base, and it has red lava and yellow liquid!

15. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

skwaker 7: wow, sworn to secrecy? lol that's awesome!
    and i didn't know there was only one official company, i think that's what mine is! and i FINALLY got it working again, just in time before i have to go back to college....

16. samson

samson Hepcat

there was a commercial here by the power company touting "for less than 25 cents you can run your lava lamp... ALL WEEKEND LONG!"

So after that I had to get a lava lamp and now I run that bad boy ALL WEEKEND LONG! ahahahaha

I love my red-orange lava lamp, but that sucker gets hot! I have mine sitting on trivet so that it doesn't overheat the shelf its on... I can see how folks would worry it could catch fire!

17. LauraMay

LauraMay Rainbow Humper

Aww cute I was 16 when I wrote that. :D

I bought one and it overheated and died.

I bought another one and it's still alive. :)

18. lynzxx

lynzxx Senior Member

omg :eek: .. thats a freak accident..
    .i had one years ago.. :rolleyes:

now i want one again

19. LauraMay

LauraMay Rainbow Humper

Get one :D

20. samson

samson Hepcat

My LavaLamp in action!

[​IMG]