Latinos converting to Islam in America

Discussion in 'Politics' started by unfocusedanakin, Feb 5, 2019.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Interesting story which is probably a compounded nightmare for Trump voters. But it makes sense to me. I have only known a few Muslims personally but there was not the same vibe as the evangelical right wing which has adopted Trump among them. To them the love of God is for white Americans. Above all they are special. The Latin people feel that coldness. Islam is not like that.

I would not join myself but the message is love and acceptance. When others turn on you Allah is there. In America now those who represent Jesus not so much.

2. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Here are some musings

To me (and put in simplistic terms) the issue is one of ideas and ideologies – these can be religious or secular – but the decline in religiosity in many places in the world was connected to the rise of secular ideas and ideologies that seemed ‘better’ - beneficial scientific and medical advancement, left and liberal leaning social ideas and an education that taught these ‘truths’.

The problem is that for the last 40 odd years the dominant secular ideology has been to one degree or another has been neoliberalism and neoliberalism is not a gentle ideology, it is not an ideology of love and community it is individualistic, even destructively individualistic because it is about selfishness and competition, it has hardened society.

Neoliberalism has in many ways also corrupted science so as to make it seem to be all about money and so untrusted - many don’t see science as having the same kind of benefit for them and in things like automation it seems to actively be working against them.

In the same way education has been corrupted, with neoliberal encouraged individualism, rationality has become about opinion rather than facts and evidence or the reasonable, it’s become for many about belief.

So secularism corrupted as it has been by neoliberalism I fear is not seen by many as ‘better’ than religious ideas anymore.

I’ve had discussions with Islamophobes where they have asked why Muslims haven’t become more secular in their thinking but in a battle of ideas what has the harsh unloving neoliberal secularism got to offer them over that of their faith.

3. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

hispanics? muslims?

skyrim for the nords!!

4. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

I think they are finally wising up to the corruption of the Catholic church.

5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

As a religion, No problem.

Getting groomed into extreme Islam, Big problem.

unfocusedanakin likes this.