Latest economic news

Discussion in 'Politics' started by booshnoogs, May 11, 2004.

1. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

This has been overshadowed by the abuse scandal, but I thought it was worth noting, especially with the upcoming election in the U.S. Presidential elections here tend to be decided by domestic issues more than foreign policy issues.

The unemployment rate dropped from 5.7 to 5.6 percent. 288,000 payroll jobs were added in April and 308,000 were added in March. 625,000 new jobs in two months is pretty significant. For some months prior to March, the job growth numbers have been disappointing, so this is a change. I hope that it's part of a trend and not an anomaly of some sort.

2. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I'm unemployed. Fuck the government!

3. Mui

Mui Senior Member

lmao.

.1% change... if anyone changes their vote because of this, they are insane.

4. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

What does you being unemployed have to do with the government? Were you laid off by a government agency or something?

5. HappyHaHaGirl

No...I'm just blaming my failure on society.

Because I'm black.

6. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

You have a point Mui, although at this rate, by November, it could result in a .5% change or more which is pretty significant.

I think it's fairly insane that historically, things like Iraq don't have more of a drive on elections in the first place. If two million more jobs are created by November, that will have more of an effect than all the Prisoner Abuse photos ever could.

update: Happy, you crack me up.

7. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

If you examine the ongoing media spin about jobs youll find that the vast percentage of jobs created are nothing more than part time positions. Try feeding a family and paying your bills on a part time job. This is called working poverty and whilst it makes for good election year propaganda, the reality is that no real job growth is occurring domestically and many long term unemployed have simply given up trying to find anything.

Its a sad day indeed when spin replaces performance and people continue to swallow it without question.

The willfully self deluded will be all the more confounded when the real economic backlash for irresponsible runaway deficit spending comes due. It will make the post Reagan downturn seem like a mere warmup.

8. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

Where are you getting that information from Lick? Can you post a source?

9. Changeyourlatitude

Changeyourlatitude Banned

HAPPY

Go to school and learn how to do something you like or that will finance things you like.

When I moved to Puerto Rico I could speak no Spanish and the unemployment rate was 16%. I found work by networking, you got to smile, get off the computer and talk to everyone to cause change. Be positive!

Many cities are begging for workers, Las Vegas for example, you can find a union job in one day that pays great!

Changeyourlatitude

10. HappyHaHaGirl

I'm going to be a teacher, I just need to get my shit together before I can afford to go to school. I'm going to take a couple of classes this summer, but I would really rather just go full speed ahead and get it done with as soon as possible, instead of taking my time. So I need to save up enough to pay for Noah's daycare far enough in advance that I don't have to work and go to school full time.

Thanks, though, for the help. I need to take an authority class so I don't let the kids get away with everything.

11. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

It's hard to envision significant job growth due to the fact that jobs are leaving the country every second and there really isn't a dominant industry leading the charge right now. The computer industry got flooded and crashed, telcommunications got overextended and crashed, manufacturing-enough said.

What will be the wave of the future?

12. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

I think it's likely much more healthy to not rely on one dominant industry. That's what caused this recession in the first place.

Also, statistically, the US creates just much faster than it outsources them. I forget the numbers now, although i made a long post about it on the old site once, but the US actually has been insourcing more jobs than it has been outsourcing over the last 10 years.

The outsourcing stuff is mostly propoganda to scare the masses who don't study economics.

13. Changeyourlatitude

Changeyourlatitude Banned

Happy

Check out some private schools since your ambition is teaching. The private school my kids attend hires several prospective teachers as “teacher assistants” and they study at night. Most can’t handle the stress of full time school and working every day but if the finances are the problem do the school job and then take summer classes.

19 and “kids!” Your going to be changing diapers the rest of your life! At least that’s the way it is here, the kids grow up and bring the babies to grandma to care for while they go to work.

Good luck!

Changeyourlatitude

14. trippymcnugget

trippymcnugget Member

No, I'm sure it's not your lack of education, or your lack of IQ points... it's the government.

I'm not saying it's either of them, just that it's stupid to blame somebody else for somethin like that.

15. skip

skip Founder Administrator

None of that changes the fact that 3 MILLION AMERICANS lost jobs under the Bush Administration, so this small increase is negligible, but shows just how desperate the Republicans are to show ANYTHING to support their president.

The fact that $120 BILLION has been spent on the Iraq War, might have something to do with the small increase in employment, no?

Yeah, the Bush Admin has created more jobs designed to spread death and destruction across our planet. Yup, definitely something to be proud of, and reason to re-elect our UNELECTED president.

[​IMG]

16. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

Actually Skip, Bush's tax cuts have been 3x the cost that going to war in Iraq, Afghanistan, and rebuilding after 9/11.
    Kida deflates the conservative's claim that spending is so high because of the wars eh?

17. GrievousAngel

GrievousAngel Banned

Skip, do you realize that these new jobs are taken by the people who lost jobs?

18. Jozak

Jozak Member

Yes, becasue it's the government's responsibility to give you a job? Please.

19. Jozak

Jozak Member

This country is hiring teachers EVERYWHERE. I will bet any money once you get your degree and such you will be hired, which is good, we need more teachers in this country--good luck with that too btw.

20. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

When those job statistics came out, I had heard from somewhere (I'll try to find the source), that the Government had reclassified low-paying, McDonalds and fast food type jobs, as Manufacturing jobs. Their reasoning for "reclassifying" these low-skill, low paying jobs, was because they believed "making" a hamburger was really "manufacturing" a hamburger....

Sneaky Feds!