Laser, eye surgery

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by sentient, May 2, 2007.

1. sentient

sentient Senior Member

I find that my eyesight is slightly deteriorating and have taken up using reading glasses but I think these are making my eyesight worse not better

I wondered whether people thought laser eye surgery is a good idea to correct problems. Is there a site with completely impartial advice and people talking about both the benifits and drawbacks of laser surgery?

Have you got any experience of laser eye surgery and if so what was it?

2. dspiel

dspiel Member

Lasik works great, but it has its limits, one of the big ones being that it's no good if your eyes are changing. So if your vision is changing slowly, Lasik can fix it for now but your eyes can just keep changing and then it's pointless.

The FDA actually has a whole site about Lasik: http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/LASIK/

3. sentient

sentient Senior Member

duplicate

4. sentient

sentient Senior Member

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure but I think that site was about people with catteracts, but my problem is that where before I could read quite small text at a reasonable distance I can no longer read it without glasses, and also to read anything without glasses I have to hold it about 1 arms length away. this started abot 3 years ago and has sort of stabilised

5. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

Sentient, I'm curious, in your current sig pic is that you with your new glasses?

6. Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes Member

I've considered getting Lasik Eye Surgery so I could stop wearing glasses, but I heard something that made me worry. I once heard on the news that Lasik surgery can cause people to go blind when they reach middle age and that scared me.

7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I wrote a couple articles on it over the past couple years and boiled down, if glasses can correct your eyesight to 20/20 you are a candidate, although your own doc makes the final call.
    if all you need is readers, I'd suggest against it for now. I seem to recall the doc mentioning that you cannot have it done repetitively, as the cornea is shaved.

I'd pull more quotes, but I tossed the notebook.

8. Avocado Noni

Avocado Noni Member

Actually poor eye-sight can be caused by hydrogenated oils. People with fatigue and foggy fuzzy lethargic feelings who consume too much starch(potatoes, white bread, chips, any starch) that create candida in the body, can have a fogged over eye sight basically.

Laying off cooked oil and trans fat and increasing omega 3(which eyes love and soak up right away) can increase clarity of vision tremendously. I suspect this is why so few people I know actually like to read a lot of books anymore, and it's also plays a part in ADD.

You'd really be surprised what clearing up your interior and maybe fasting would do for your eyesight. Everytime I fast my vision becomes super clear and sharp, like really noticeably so and I've heard many other people report similar experiences. I would try that before I started beaming lasers in my eyes.

9. fitzy

fitzy Member

laser eye surgery is not a good option if you are in need of bifocals. It is mainly used for near-sightedness. Also, take a look at most optometrists and ophthalmologists...unless they are trying to get money from the surgery. Most of them wear glasses, and this is because they know how dangerous it can be!!

10. megs tsb

megs tsb Member

My partner keeps telling me that it's cheaper to go to canada to have laser surgery than it is to have it done in Australia and you can have a nice holiday. I love Thailand and I've had dental work done there. They have top rate dentists . I'v also heard that they have top rate eye laser doctors there. If you haven't been to Thailand now is the time to go. Have your eyes done abd you will be able to see Thailand through a different set of eyes i've not heard of anyone who has had a bad experiense . SEEyou