Language

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Maon, Jan 11, 2005.

?

Is this the language of discussion and debate?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claire

Claire Senior Member

Hehehe I like that poem:D

Hey! who voted YES on the poll?... are you for real?:p

2. Merlin

Merlin Member

Speaking on the swearing issue: I'm a casual swearer myself, except I always use my swearing in a more abstract way as opposed to a confrontational or aggressive one (i.e. I say things like 'shit! I've spilt water all over the keyboard' and 'bollocks! This computer is playing up again' but I avoid saying stuff like 'you fucking bastard' or 'listen to me you dipshit'). Wether I see swearing as being offensive or not depends on the situation and/or wether it was used abstractly or aggressively. The former of the two doesn't bother me at all but the latter does.

3. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

See, this describes you to a tee. You pretend to offer the hand of reconcilliation, but you qualify it with further insults and protestations of "you started it!". As I've already said a couple of times, why don't you try sincerity? You may have noticed that when Giles made a sincere offer to put our issues behind us I was quite happy to accept and not continue the argument or hold a grudge. So.... who is it really who won't "take a step to the side"? I've already demonstrated my willingness to do so, whereas you just continue to be insulting. I suggest it might be constructive for you to look to your own behaviour before being so enthusiastic in your criticism of others.

4. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

I think he makes a good point too though Dok. You said you won't budge on your position at all of toning down the aggression. Considering aggression on these forums puts a lot of people off posting, as, afterall, people come here to get away from that sort of thing. It's just disruptive to the harmony. And life may not be all peace and flowers, but that's not to say we have to bring it to the forums. This is a place aside, our own little community. Life's about compromise. And from a purely utilitarian standpoint, I think you're going to have to step slightly to the east or west to maintain the harmony here. This isn't a personal attack on your person, I like you Dok, but it needs to be said....

5. DoktorAtomik

It 'needs to be said'? well you've said it at least four times now. How many more times do you plan on saying it? I've told you I don't agree with you. I've told you I'm happy to agree to differ. I've told you I'm quite happy for you to ban me if you feel the need. So I ask you again.... what do you hope to achieve by continually pushing the point? Is it just that you don't like people disagreeing with you? Aren't you used to people not backing down?

You see, there's different forms of confrontation. Your particular behaviour at this point in time is just as confrontational as my own. You continue to contribute comments to a situation that you should know very well are going to be entirely counterproductive, and in doing so continue to act against the greater good. Has it occurred to you that if you want a less confrontational Dok then it might be a good idea not to wind him up?

Refusing to modify my posting style is far from being the same thing as an unwillingness to compromise. For example, you may remember some heated (!!!) exchanges with Starfly in the past. You'll notice that we now manage to communicate very civilly. If you think that politeness is the only way to achieve anything in this world, then you're very much mistaken. And if you mistake an aggressive posting style for a lack of diplomacy and willingness to compromise, then i can only assume that this is the inexperience of youth showing through.

That, Sal, is a personal opinion and preference. Would you be trying to impose your personal world-view upon me? I don't find your enthusiasm for controlling my self-expression to be in keeping with any hippy ideal that I was ever aware of.

Personally, I don't come here to 'get away from aggression'. I come here because this is a free speech forum which presumably is about encouraging debate. Where does it say that these forums are an exclusive club for shrinking violets?

I'm very happy for you. However, I'll continue to post as I see fit. You've made your point already, and now you're just trying to push your weight around because you can't stand someone not backing down. I've said I'm happy to agree to disagree, and I'm happy for you to ban me if you think it's required. That's called compromise. Considering I'm meant to be the inflexible, hostile person, it seems to me as though you're doing your best to reverse the roles. I wonder where this enthusiasm for authority was when Giles was threatening people with physical violence? But of course, he's a mate, isn't he? And considering that this whole thread wasn't started as a serious criticism of my behaviour, but rather as an exercise in shit-stirring, it's interesting that you should be continuing to fuel it. In fact, it's a bit odd that it wasn't locked to start with. Because hey..... there's too much hostility in these forums, right? Oh yeah, unless you're a mate of Sal's. Way to go, dude. You seem intent on stirring this as much as you can.

6. DoktorAtomik

Oh, and another thing. I'm not aggressive. An aggressive person initiates hostilities. I respond to hostilities that are initiated by others. If you persue this thread, for example, you'll notice that the tone of the discussion is always cooling off before someone decides to attack me again. That's aggressive. Don't mistake some harsh language and willingness to call a dick a dick for aggression.

7. Claire

Claire Senior Member

Well said. Yes It's not good that people get put off posting. The forums used to be a fun and friendly place with respectful debates.

I get what you are saying entirely Sal.

8. DoktorAtomik

Oh really? I thought you said it was just a school disco full of kids and Sal had to come to terms with it changing? Have you forgotten that conversation already?

9. Claire

Claire Senior Member

You seem to enjoy bringing peoples personal lives and conversations onto the forums to cause disruption, why is that?

... and once again, I completely agree with Sal on this issue.

10. DoktorAtomik

'Personal life'?!? What the fuck?!? That's not your personal life... that's an opinion. An opinion that seems a little bit hypocritcal given your last comment,
    and thus entirely relevant to the discussion.

11. dibblydowcus

dibblydowcus Member

Twice I put my hand forward, and twice it was slapped away. Fine. So be it.

At this point I'd like to turn to Peace-Pheonix and all those who have had to read this bickering between us and say, sorry if it's spoilt your enjoyment of a rational debating forum. I've made 2 unwanted overtures towards peace but if Dok is happy to sit in his trench with his little tin helmet on and fire into the darkness so be it, I'm happy to leave him down there.

A tip for you Dok...you should keep at least one pair of socks dry...you don't want to get trench foot down there!!

12. DoktorAtomik

No, twice you used reconcilliation as an excuse for insulting me further. If you spent half as much time looking at your own behaviour as you do criticising other people's then that might be more apparent to you.

Another classic example. More insults. As I've already said, try sincerity. Go on. Try it. Just once. Say "Hey Dok, no bad feelings, sorry about the arguments, let's put it behind us and start fresh". That's an overture of peace. Hell, I don't even expect you to admit you're wrong ;)

You're a total hypocrite who's ego is too inflated to see his own faults.

*edit*

Off out now. If you'd like to continue to stir the shit while pretending to want peace (man) I'll be happy to respond in the morning.

13. dibblydowcus

dibblydowcus Member

14. Claire

Claire Senior Member

I just want everyone to respect each other and not attack one another.

I will just avoid the agressive threads from now on as many other HF members have been doing for months.

15. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

Dok

I think if you wants to stand you ground on your posting style then that should be seen as admirable. Most of the time I love the passion you put into your posting.

Have you seen the advert that Tony benn does for the parlaiment channel? The one where he divides people into signposts and weathercocks? Well yeah, being a signpost, sticking to your guns is always much better than being like a weathercock and just following popular opinion.

However, there is an old saying ...

"if someone calls you a horse then you can tell 'em to fuck off ... if 10 people call you a horse then go and buy a saddle."

The vote here suggests that people aren't happy with your style of posting ... I personally don't have a problem with it ... that's because 95% of the time I'm in agreement with what you say. I also swear and don't care who I offend if that's the mood I'm in ... I called treehouse a **** enough times ... but that was at the point when there was no other option than to fight him with his own mentality.

However, I'd hate to have an disagreement with you and have my argumants reduced to 'last resort' slanging. There are a couple of occasions I noticed things that are irrelevent to the topic brought into the conversation; like asking Claire if she had problems with her personal life and similar stuff to that. If someone said that to me I really wouldn't be very happy about it. true or not, there is a time and a place for everything ... personal problems do not always govern our opinions.

I've said it enough times though; there have been occasions when I have posted stuff on forums that could make me look like the angriest man on Earth ... however if you saw my face while I was typing you'd see that really I had no more than a slightly sarcastic smile on my face. :)

16. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

OK right... heres fleassys 2pence worth of input.

Doc you say he's too inflated to see his own faults. I think thats a comment which is relevant to a LOT of people on these forums (including me) and in life.
    Both of you act in a way which personally i feel is counterproductive. Both of you need to step away from the situation and LOOK at what you say.
    Dibly you have indeed put your hand out, however from where i am sitting it has come across as though you are putting your hand out whilst hinting you are the better man. Weather or not thats what you intended thats how it came across to me.
    Doc you are just as stubborn as the next and although you do not provoke arguments you surely do play a bit part in them. Some call them disscussions but i however call ones like this arguments. Im not saying you are bad for the way you react to things however parhaps you dont need to dig your toes in. It too comes across like you are trying to be the "better man" in the situation by saying "look ive been offering my hand"

i dont see either of you backing down

Sal, i hate to sound like im going against you here but Dok has got a bit of a point, often if someone is a friend or you agree to a situation you do lean towards them a bit more, thats only human.
    As far as your view on this being a place away from violence in the real world.. i dont agree, this is a free speach forum, a disscussion forum. Doc is being himself when he reacts to things, he doesnt go out of his way to upset other people and therefore is breaking no rules. Maybe he should have a bit more consideration but ive never seen him row with anyone who didnt have enough bite to bite back.

I personally feel this thread was a personal attack on someone but that seems to have been forgotten, i view this thread as going out of their way to upset and cause trouble.... this topic could have been brought up in private knowing that in a public forum it would cause a ruccus.

but as i said thats just my 2pence... if ive upset anyone im sorry.. but thats just my views.

...you BOTH agree to dissagree.... you BOTH have offered a peace between you.. however you havnt done it in the way the other wants.... it seems all your fighting about now is how the appologys should be gone about.

17. EarthWhirler

EarthWhirler Member

Fleassy's right Sal. Giles threatened Meng and you said very little about it. I was outraged to read what he said not to mention that he hasn't even apologised! There shouldn't have been any debate over that and the fact that you attack someone for defending Meng is laughable.

As for this thread, as with most of Giles' posts lately, it was intentially aggressive and confrontational - kinda ironic huh? - it should have been locked, and to add a poll?!? Is that the behaviour of someone who wants a friendly discussion?

I generally don't defend Dok because a, he can fend for himself and b, I'm all too aware that people will imagine me as a meek girlfriend who's biased. How wrong you are.
    I find it highly amusing that some people think he's a coward and would never speak to people face to face in the same way. What you see is what you get. People blather on about truth and honesty and when they see it in it's real form they don't like it. I swear I have never known such an honest and caring person. He's not controlled by his ego and doesn't care what people think of him. I've seen him sort peoples' heads out from all sorts of abuse, I've seen him physically protect people, I've seen him rescue animals that no-one else can be bothered with. This is a man who lives by what he believes. I have never known such genuine compassion.

This thread is reminding me of Lord of the Flies. With regard to the latter part of the quote from Paul (with the saddle :)) I could almost agree if those 10 people weren't hypocrites! If feels like people are happily victimising one person for crimes that they themselves have committed - except Sal 'cos he's always nice :p (you wait 'til that anger gene kicks in) I think many of you need to look at your own actions before you start pointing the finger at an obvious target. How perfect are you?

18. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

I am the epitomy of imperfection... thats what gives me the right to comment on everyone elses flaws :p

19. DoktorAtomik

*sigh*

Dragged back earlier than planned - and by my own girlfriend at that!

This statement is technically incorrect, hun. I do care what people think of me - I care what people think of me when I respect their opinions and value their judgement. In fact, my only real measure of worth is through the eyes of others, since my own view of myself is always going to be subjective. Fortunately, the people who I value and regard highly seem to think the same of me, so criticism from strangers on a message board is water off a duck's back. Hell, if I can maintain a healthy relationship and hold the respect and love of Miss Whirler for seven years, I can't be going far wrong :H

Paul 'n' Fleassy.... I'll get back to you tomorrow. But Fleassy.... your self criticism actually places you much higher in the order of things than most people. You give yourself far too much of a hard time y'know.

20. EarthWhirler

EarthWhirler Member

You never usually take much persuading when being dragged........;)

Shucks. :& Did I mention you were good in bed? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.