Language

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Maon, Jan 11, 2005.

?

Is this the language of discussion and debate?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

Seriously though ... I can see this from both sides. If you're going to have an opinion you might as well have some passion for it. There's no point in trying to appease everyone.

However, I try not to swear when I express my opinions. It's just something I don't very often feel the need to do. Althouigh it does happen, I'd rather stick to reasoning. If it gets to the point when the opposition just doesn't listen, then I'd rather waste my time on someone who will.

I have learnt from experience that its very easy to get crossed wires on a forum. What may be intended as a throwaway comment can be read in so many ways, especially when you can't see the facial expression of the person who is typing.

Oh and in England we say 'arse' and not 'ass' :p

2. Claire

Claire Senior Member

It can get annoying when someone jumps down your throat and dismisses your opinion or gangs up on you just because they don't agree with what you have said. It comes across as unfair and cliquey.

I get what DibblyDowcus is saying in that if you are attacked you are more likely to attack back.

Some people "f" and blind and no one bats an eye lid... others are condoned for it. Which again seems unfair and cliquey.

Some people like Treehouse were obvious trolls but others, apart from having opposing views to the majority, are ok posters. I don't think they deserve being humiliated, their opinions being dismissed or being threatened or sworn at.

I'll add an "IMO" for good measure;)

Maybe we should resurrect that bloody ARC thing?:p

*edit* p.s.

good point... yes they either leave the forums or just avoid posting in specific threads

3. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Yes, we certainly need a bit more pleasantness, less aggression, and to spread the love. There are enough places in the world where anger and hatred are thrown about casually enough, this is not one of them. Abuse to other posters really won't be tolerated....

4. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

..... unless you're a friend of the moderator, in which case threats of violence towards other posters are just met with a mild ticking off.

Abuse takes many forms. It's quite possible to insult people without needing to resort to expletives. Your point of view reflects a particularly middle-class perspective where offending people is fine so long as it's done politely, but use bad language at your peril! How very British of you.

Like I said to you on MSN, Sal.... I'll continue to post how I see fit. If you don't like that, then you're more than welcome to ban me. It's sad that you feel the need to attempt to throw your weight around by dragging this disagreement back into the public domain. It's a shame you don't manage to show quite so much determination when dealing with trolls or your friends.

5. Maon

Maon Member

right back to square one, recollecting, I never heard you swear once in the pub in avebury. We just had a good night with you.

6. DoktorAtomik

Square one? Not sure what point you're trying to make, Giles. Sal's made his opinion clear a number of times, but rather than agreeing to disagree he seems intent on making the same point repeatedly. I'm not sure what he hopes to achieve. I've already made it clear that he's welcome to ban me if he thinks I'm overstepping the mark.

As for swearing, I swear socially all the time. I'm a casual swearer. So are most of the people I know. I find it amusing that hippies should be so concerned about the use of expletives. I'd have thought that'd be a concern more suited to a ladies knitting circle.

7. DoktorAtomik

Far from being magnanimous, your actual intent is both egotistical and offensive. In this very post you accuse me of intentionally misunderstanding your earlier post - which was not the case. I think I understood it perfectly well. Furthermore, you then imply that I fail to understand the meaning of the word 'substantiate' (obviously failing to agree with you is reason enough for you to question my grasp of English). Meanwhile, you continue to trumpet your own alleged virtue of magnanimity. These are not the actions of someone seeking reconciliation. Far from it. You criticise me for being quick to insult people, and yet you're happy to continue being offensive yourself. That's commonly know as hypocrisy.

If you wish to extend the hand of friendship, I suggest you do s
    o with sincerity. You might find it infinitely more constuctive.

8. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

is it wrong that i find this whole thing really humerous and blatantly pointless as an argument?

ps i said **** last night!:eek:

naomi
    x x x

9. DoktorAtomik

Well that's kinda how I feel about it too, so I wouldn't give yourself a hard time ;)

Eek! I've corrupted you! Quick.... find a priest!

10. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

he he....... i am corrupted i admit it...

actually i think it was more to do with the fact that i got immensely hurt again by a bloke-nothing new there- than anything else but if you want to take the credit then thats cool....:)
    namaste
    x x x

11. DoktorAtomik

What did i tell you? Use lube! It makes for less friction :p

Hope it wasn't anything too serious.....

12. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

damn it........knew there was something that was missing:p

meh, same old, but this time i gave more of who i am.......was put into competition by his ex and the ex won..... thinkin there must be some thing rather wrong with little ol me....:(
    x x x

13. Alomiakoda

Alomiakoda Boniface McSporran

There's nothing wrong with you *hugs*

Most men are just insensitive bastards who just think about sex and don't give a shit about anyone's feelings except their own:rolleyes:

14. DoktorAtomik

Oooh, now we'll have none of that self-pity around here, little miss dew! If you're gonna blame yourself everytime someone acts like an ass hole then you're in for a very miserable life. You need to rise above this situation and come to accept that it's all just a karmic lesson. Once you've doen that, spread it around that the guy has a really tiny dick ;)

15. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

Alomiakoda, thank you....*hugs back*

dok-yeah, i must have done something pretty awful to deserve this last year.....eeek.... problem is im too nice to hate him, and have actualy gone as far as wishing him well with his ex... am i too moralistic do you think?!?!

but on another note im off to buy a bunny rabbit this afternoon to keep my company-and no dok, i don't mean like that!!:rolleyes:
    x x x

16. DoktorAtomik

That's cynical bullshit. Men are no worse than women. I could give you a list of women who've treated me like shit, but it doesn't mean I'm gonna make generalisations about the whole gender.

17. DoktorAtomik

It's not about hating people. You don't need to hate him. But then you don't need to wish him well, either. Feeling angry and pissed off with him is a healthy part of the grieving process that you shouldn't deny yourself. That's only a problem if you allow it to mutate into bitterness. But to wish him well at this stage is to fail to acknowledge your own hurt. And worse.... it serves to validate his behaviour. When we don't express our pain and anger, we divorce the actions of those who hurt us from their consequences. If someone has fucked you around, it's only right that they should know how you feel about it. I think you worry far too much about the welfare of others. Also, if you suppress your inherent human self interest, it will only manifest through your subconscious in ways that are outside of your control. Better to acknowledge it and express it in a healthy fashion.

18. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

Is there a problem with that then? :p

19. DoktorAtomik

C'mon Paul. We know you're always concerned with what the ladies are feeling :p

20. dibblydowcus

dibblydowcus Member

One day, making tracks in the prairie of Prax,
    Came a North-Going Zax and a South going Zax,
    And it happened that both of them came to a place
    Where they bumped. There they stood.
    Foot to foot. Face to face.

"Look here, now!" the North-Going Zax said.
    "I say! You are blocking my path. You are right in my way.
    I'm a North-Going Zax and I always go North.
    Get out of my way, now, and let me go forth!"

"Who's in whose way?" snapped the South-Going Zax.
    "I always go south, making south going tracks.
    So you're in MY way! And I ask you to move,
    and let me go south in my south going groove."

Then the North-Going Zax puffed his chest up with pride.
    "I never," he said, "take a step to one side.
    And I'll prove to you that I won't change my ways,
    if I have to keep standing her fifty-nine days!"

"And I'll prove to YOU," yelled the South-Going Zax,
    "That I can stand here in the prairie of Prax,
    for fifty-nine YEARS! For I live by a rule,
    that I learned as a boy back in South-Going School.
    Never budge! That's my rule. Never budge in the least!
    Not an inch to the west! Not and inch to the east!
    I'll stay here, not budging! I can and I will,
    if it makes you and me and the whole world stand still!"

Well...
    Of course the world didn't stand still. The world grew.
    In a couple of years, the new highway came through,
    and they built it right over those two stubborn Zax,
    and left them there, standing un-budged in their tracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.