Language fun!

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by logicalway, May 11, 2004.

1. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

Well I was going to say I felt very bad for keeping you up late, especially over something as trivial as yankball.

Exams you say? Are you not 24 then? Or does that mean you're going for some great big fuckoff posh medical qualification? Anyway, good luck!

2. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

I always am up late so don't feel bad about that.
    I'm at uni, it's first semester exam time. I'm doing a year of a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science combined degree to get me into a double degree of Bachelor of Criminal Psychology/Bachelor of Forensic Science. The uni's for this type of discipline are very hard to get into so i'm doing all i can. I was doing a Sociology/Biomedical double major but i changed my mind.

You mentioned your type of work, is it rewarding?

3. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

Certainly is. I'm on a placement year before I do my fibnal year at uni, on a course in music and sound recording. At the moment I'm working for the UK distributor of an Australian company, Fairlight who make kit used in tv/film post-production. I help with sales, demos, services, and even building the stuff. Last week they took me out to Barcelona for the Audio Engineering Society trade show. Good stuff!

4. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

Aussie company eh? How do you find that compared with working with poms?

5. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

Well I do work with poms all the time. We communicate with Sydney HQ via email, but last week was the first time I'd met any of the Oz contingent, and one of them was a yank.

6. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

ah yanks. Did ya run mile? It's good you like your industry. Sydney hey or Snydney as i call it. Can't stand the place, people think it's the only place in Oz :rolleyes:

7. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

Well to us pomms there are only about 3 cities in Oz and we don't really know the difference and I've never been anywhere near any of them. I've got relatives in Melbourne though.

8. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

It's just annoying how all yank shows that feature Oz, are set in sydney, they go to sydney, follow a bad guy to sydney. The worst is when folks try to do an Aussie accent. NEWSFLASH. No-one can except us, maybe the kiwis. All people do is end up sounding cockney. Remember the Aussie Simpsons episode? At least use Aussie actors please :$ How about that character in Jag that was Aussie. They names him Mick Brumby. Mick (as in Dundee) Brumby (a wild horse that runs wild and free down here) Oh give me strength.
    Enough of my rant Saxxy.

Where abouts are your folks in VIC, i'm from there originally. I'm still one i should say :)

9. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

No idea. All I ever hear is Melbourne. There are plenty of pomms who can do ozzies. I've been immitating the head of Fairlight and his "Git facked" remarks all week :). And if we should give the yanks some credit, at least they've found a way to do cockney, even if it wasn't what they meant. After Dick Van Dyke, I'd never have thought it possible.

10. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

Tell me you don't like Mary Poppins. I'll lose all respect for ya otherwise :p

11. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

Well my main problem with Mary Poppins, other than the Dick Van Dyke catastrophe is that with the possible exception of the police constable, every male character in the film is made to look stupid at some point. What sort of message can that be sending to young children? It's probably why English men have grown up to be such pansies. Too scared of being called a sexist and letting women (starting with their mothers) boss them around their whole life. Well excepting of course the complete cunts you get around the place.

12. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

oooohh, the one word i can't stand hearing :) Yeash i guess a lot of poms are a bit uh girly? Shit you know what i mean. Weaklings. And white as chalk.
    Sorry, but you can usually tell a pom in the crowd but at least that;s the good thing about many of you coming down here. The sun :)

So tell me, are you one of those with a hard on for Neighbours and Home and Away? Would you ever come and do a bus tour of Ramsay St :p I have a pen pal who i used to write to, she lives in Hatfield. She always asked me what was happening.

13. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

Hatfield! I work just a few miles away from there!

I watched neighbours during my school days when I would come home and turm the telly on. Stopped watching Home and Away whilst still at primary school. I've not seen an episode of either for many years now. My sister on the other hand, she started neighbours soc at Oxford university in her first year. Just an excuse to get together with her mates at lunch time and watch it. Don't think she kept it up though.

Oh and tell me something. What was it your great-great-granddad did to get deported? A lot of Aussies seem to be quite proud of it.

14. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

Funny coincidence :)
    Yep, a lot of people get weird over neighboure especially when Kylie was still in it. Do you watch Kath and Kim? Apparently it's going great over there.

Maybe i'm tired, but you'll have to explain the last comment. Who was deported?

15. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

I don't watch a lot of telly at the moment. Well I do, but it's old telly that has been made available as digitial video files on filesharing networks. Perfectly fair game if you've paid your license fee as far as I'm concerned. Heard vaguely of Kath and Kim, but not even enough to know it's Australian.

Oh and the deporting thing, well isn't that how Australia got colonised? Every Aussie who isn't an Aborigine surely descended from deported convicts, or did they?

16. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

There were Free Settlers. People who chose to go to Australia to make a new, better life. For instance, Adelaide was home to many free settlers, not convicts.
    My ancestors are english/irish (don't tell anyone) ;)