Language fun!

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by logicalway, May 11, 2004.

1. lionface

lionface Member

Cheers for the link trippinbtm.

Trickster we made shroom tea and then drank the shroom tea. 20 mins later we were in his room and getting ready for bed (where we stayed for 5 hours!) and all we could manage to say was: "that was no oorrdinary cup of tea" and the only other thing we did was laugh. Hope that makes it clearer for you;).

cheers,
    lionface

2. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

3 cheers for the smartie pants then

3. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

i dunno bout you guys but i think language is made out to be more than it is. words are replacable, any word can be described with a number of other words. if it couldnt... then what would it be? if you cant describe a word using other words then what does the word mean?

I = me = the person who is not everybody else, etc.

i was thinkning earlier.. how do you describe the word 'celebrate'? you could describe it with ways you can celebrate.. but how do you.. actually define the word?

the dictionary just gives examples of celebrations. now we all know when we use the word what we are referring to.. but celebrate is a word that cant be minimised any further. the dictionary says:

mark with festivities (thats one way to celebrate)
    perform publicly and duty (another)
    officiate at (another sue of the word)
    engage in festivities usually after a special event (another way of saying 'mark with festivities')

so as you can see, the word celebrate is one of many (well i dont know how many, maybew its not heaps) words that cannot be described in any simpler terms or even by another word that means the same thing.

what does this mean? well it just shows what words are. tags for thoughts. all they are are a tool to communicate what we think to other people. theres nothing magical or even philosophically metaphysical about language, imo. theyre just aural symbols. and since our world is sop stuck up on language, thoughts that arent turned into language often confuse people and give false impressions as to what thought actually is, what the differnc ebetween man and animal is, and what instincts mean

4. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

Semantics

Your boys better win on wednesday mate. I'm a VIC and hate the Maroons, do me proud. Orford better be picked at half-back as well, bloody Kimmorley :p

5. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

First of all, I and me are NOT the same. There's a very good reason for having both words in the language.

Secondly, as far as celebrate is concerned, people describe it all the time. Just go up to someone on a saturday or sunday and ask them what they did the night before. They should be able to tell you a lot (or a little depending on how much they had) without using the word celebrate. Actually I think the simple verb to party covers the intransitive side of celebrate. The transitive part is much easier as you have plenty of verbs such as commemorate, mark, enjoy, etc.

6. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

I and Me are the same in that you are talking about yourself. The difference comes, when you're talking about context. For instance, saying "you and i" is said to be proper english,rather than "you and me"

7. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

not quite. There are plenty of occasions where "you and me" is more correct than "you and I". It has to do with the subject and object. I and me represent the same noun, as it were, but they represent it in different ways, and so they do not mean the same thing.

You can't say "he will come and meet you and I tomorrow." It's not correct. You would say "he will come and meet you and me tomorrow." Therefore I and me are not the same.

8. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

Yes they represent in different ways. Like i said, it depends on the context.

9. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

By the way. It's AS I said, not like. ;)

10. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

Oohh right, game on buddy :X

"Like" as in "similar" to what i said. But yes, you can say it your way as well :p

11. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

Like I said is just wrong. Sorry. You CAN say Like what I was saying.

12. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

I'm reminded of a saying "i realise that i may not always be right, but i am never wrong" ;)

and, the POMS suck at cricket :D Had to, sorry.

13. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

I'm not bothered about Cricket. Then again I'm more Irish than English, especially at heart.

So I'm not too bothered about the world cup final either. That Johnny Wilkinson kick doesn't mean anything like as much to me as losing quarter final against the fucking frogs. If Shane Horgan hadn't dropped that ball over the try-line against your mob in the group stage, things would have been very different.

oh and how the fuck did the sheepshaggers win the grand slam?

I learnt an important lesson in life from an Aussie in Barcelona last week, the head of the company whose UK distributors I work for. He told us, "You don't have a relationshp with someone until you can tell them to get fucked!". I'll never forget those words. Git facked!

14. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

HA HA HA you're making me laugh, i'd love to hear you say that Aussie talk in person to see what you sound like.

As for the Kiwis winning, obviously a total fluke. You know, they were so sure of making the world cup final that they kept 2 hours spare during some sports awards. Boo Hoo, we kicked their arse in that semi, never knock an Aussie.

The only reason England won that final was for Wilko. Robinson scored your only try i think in that game. If Wilko had been injured you wouldn't have made it half way through that comp.

The Frogs are eye gauging bastards. They tried that against us in the final years ago. How satisfied were we to cream them.

Bed time for me :)

15. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

Do you use skype? If so, it can be arranged. I can tell you to Git Facked all night long.

Of course I love talking about international rugby but since most of my non-working life is taken up by following my football team, I just don't have the time to get into the domestic side of it in my own country, never mind other countries. Although I hear that in New Zealand, local news is Rugby, national news is Rugby and international news is Australian Rugby.

And am I right in thinking when you say football in Australia, you mean Rugby, not Aussie Rules, but when you say footie it IS Aussie Rules? Football, Footie, it's all the same here. Except we don't call it soccer like the yanks and yourselves do. That's a silly name. :) Not quite as silly as yank sports though.

16. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

Well Pom, depending on the state you're from, footy can mean either AFL or Rugby League. I'm a VIC so, Footy is AFL, League is Rugby League and Union is obvious. So that said, Soccer has to be Soccer, we have too many Football codes.

I love sport, maybe you can tell and which is a surprise to blokes.
    Ah yes the Yanks. They think they're so tough but wear all that tight, girly lookin' leotard crap and all that protection. They wouldn't last playing our kinda Rugby :p

17. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

What do you mean our kind? There's only one kind. ok, there're two but the yanks don't play either of them.

I've ranted about yankball on many occasions.

All that armour they wear makes them think they're invincible so they go in harder for much more stupid tackles, most of them ridiculously high. Also the armour does even more damage to the other player than it prevents. The rules are ridiculous. You hoof the ball the full length of the pitch to someone already over the try line who just has to drop it, while the other team try to tackle players off the ball, but are handed off by the team-mates of the player with the ball. i mean, how lazy is that - you get your team-mates to do the handing off for you. What a joke! Then there's all the substitutions and intervals arranged for the tv-companies to get more adverts in. Apparantly they wanted to play 3 30 minute periods in the 94 world cup for the same reason. muppets! Oh and players or managers can shout "time out" up to three times during a game and get play suspended there and then. very handy if you're about to concede during a tight match I'd have thought.

18. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

I'm not surprised by the yanks.

Look at the superbowl, it's about the "spectacle" rather than the game. More people watch that, than care about who wins or plays well. Americans play baseball, gridiron and basketball. They think they are the best sporting nation in the world but that's crap. They equate excellence with popularity. Bullshit. They're not the world's best in basketball even though they may have one of the best comps, they're not the world champions in baseball i don't think, we could beat them in a game of rugby/gridiron.

Australia rules sport :D

19. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

Joe Yank: Sure, but we win the world series every year!

*snigger*

Yep, let them keep inventing unique sports that no-one else wants to play so they can be world champions at them.

It's basically Netball, Rounders and Rugby without rules.

20. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

Rounders, jesus does that remind me of primary school :eek: Playing tee ball as well. Yeah bugger the yanks, they have big mouths not ability.
    Now i reeeeeeeeeeeeally have to go to bed. I have to get up early to study for exams on monday/tuesday then we have a month off. Can't wait :cool: