Language fun!

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by logicalway, May 11, 2004.

1. logicalway

logicalway Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

2. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

3. junkyman420

junkyman420 Member

this reminds me of last friday when i ate mushrooms with some friends and practically devoted our trips to dismantling the structure of the english language. thas right, lil wodie.

4. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

Some nationalities do that anyway when they speak ;) Joking, Joking

\

5. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

Babelfish is endlessly entertaining. It's fun to take song lyrics or advertising messages and put them in one language and then into another and finally get all sorts of nonsense back. The phrase "give me a break" becomes "give me a rupture." The Kit Kat commercial came out something like:

Give me a rupture, give me a rupture
    Break from me a piece of that bar of a kat of a kit

6. lionface

lionface Member

Me and my mate got really philosophical like and dismantled the english language until we were left with I.

Heres how it went: i started off by saying that indescribable was an adjective. The beginning of the end! How can something be indescribable if you can describe it with indescribable. Following on from this we removed that along with the now redundant word describable. We thought then that we should hit the nail on the head by attacking illogical. We said that it was illogical not to have logic, and so illogical was illogical and therefore might as well not be there. Logic now followed describable into the realms of redundancy. But, we said, is it not logical to gather words together into a dictionary? There it was. The entire english language. Kapput. All gone except from I as that is entirely introspective and would be there even if there was no dictionary.

Thanks for listening to this remarkable theatrical reproduction of my most philosophical moment.

cheers
    lionface

7. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

In reference to you're, "there's no ordinary cup of tea" :eek:

8. all_rhodesian_reject

all_rhodesian_reject Sonskyn Elvis

ah yes russian......my friends russian :eek:

9. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

I totally did that a week or so ago when I was stoned! I got to thinking how ANY sentence always comes back to subject, verb, object. And how third person implies second person (to talk about a third person, you need a second person to talk to), and how second person implies first person (to talk to someone else, you have to be there talking).

Any sentence, such as "I walk to the store" then, can be further sifted out, getting rid of the object or object phrase (a sort of second or third person element which implies the first person, the speaker). You get "I walk" but that's not it, because for me to do anything, I have to exist, it's the initial precondition. "I am". But perhaps it can go further. If "I am" perhaps "I am not" is an option. Still more sifting to do. You end up with "I".

Language boils down to hidden implications that all refer back to the self. Know the self, and you know all language can describe, and more.

I was stoned as hell on some primo weed, and I think I had an experience of satori. I can't describe it, because as you can see, I wasn't dealing in language's terms anymore at that point.

That's cool how we sorta came to the same conclusion. :)

10. lionface

lionface Member

We approached it in very different ways somehow though. My main emphasis was on eradicating words and yours was on the logical boiling down of language to the self. This is all very interesting. Thinking about it your method probably makes more sense ;)

11. sandman

sandman Member

le croque monsieur

12. lionface

lionface Member

Thats the topic me and my friend talked about and laughed histerically about for 5 hours on shrooms. Shroom tea you see. The best beverage on earth.

13. Rybear

Rybear Member

Wow, deconstructing language...here's one. I live in germany. I can speak +some+ german. On mushrooms, that ability becomes distorted. (I normally eat the mexicans). A friend of mine has a generally keen intellect but is my greatest victim on mushrooms. The next time you trip, start making tons of irrelevant or illogical statements and tie them together with whatever comes to mind, you cna prove yourself right by pointing out that non living things have never died or some such bull. It's entertaining to watch a fellow ex colleague in intelligence work suddenly become redused to the philospophical standards of a six year old.
    have fun. ry

14. lionface

lionface Member

Cheers for the tip man ill have to try that verry soon;)

15. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Yet we still ended up in the same place. Which stands to reason, if all this is true, that no matter way you tackle it, you end up in the same place. Frikkin deep, man...

16. lionface

lionface Member

Really deep. I like this conversation. I need to do shrooms again.

17. lionface

lionface Member

TrippinBTM did you draw that pic in your sig yourself. It's f*cking good. I wouldn't mind having that as a tattoo.

18. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

19. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

That is one of the worst translators online. (All of them are shit.. but this one takes the pot).

20. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

For 5 hours? I thought you only talked about cricket for that long :p