Landfills...better for environment?

Discussion in 'Recycling' started by LetLovinTakeHold, Mar 2, 2012.

1. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Sounds crazy huh? Well, maybe not..... Watch these videos and you may be supprized. They take every known reason for recycling, and debunk them. With the exceptions of aluminum cans, and because it "makes you feel good."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzLebC0mjCQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Penn & Teller Bullshit - Recycling Part 1 - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wS1dv3iat8&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Penn & Teller Bullshit - Recycling Part 2.avi - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvz-z7CvsYA&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Penn & Teller Bullshit - Recycling Part 3 - YouTube

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Maybe we should recycle the federal government.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

They're producing a lot of hot air...

Maybe that's where global warming comes from.

4. Delta 9 The Psychonaut

Delta 9 The Psychonaut Member

I don't really see the harm in recycling even if it isn't as beneficial as proposed. I think a good portion of it is the nurturing of a more Eco-friendly lifestyle. It may not be the most efficient now but if enough people start to care about something like recycling good things will come from it.

5. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Limit recycling to those areas that will actually benefit from it- like aluminum cans. It strikes me (though doesn't surprise me) that the only thing benefiting from recycling programs are the egos of those who set them up or whose mandates paved the way. I think part of the message here is to not take the word of so-called experts and bureaucrats as gospel. We would go a long way toward self empowerment simply by finding out facts ourselves. I hate to dig up an old Reagan foreign policy talking point, however, "trust but verify" seems to be something the grass roots needs to become acquainted with if we are to stand any chance of taking our country back.

6. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

When someone tries to throw their cardboard food container into a recycle bin, it's generally unclean and contains leftover food and other waste that eventually winds up contaminating the recycle bin and makes all the contents unrecyclable.

7. Estelle Page

Estelle Page Guest

We need to be more proactive in the ways we recycle and become more creative in how we do it! I have been looking for great creative extreme recycling and found a lot of large scale projects. One i found was a great blog on the giant Plastic Bottle Fish in Rio:
    http://www.eurocell.co.uk/9/news/po...ish-in-rio-a-drop-in-the-sea-of-plastic-waste
    It comments on the fact that we waste too much plastic and are harming the environment. Also it looks great and has become one of the main tourist locations in Rio!

8. RhysN

RhysN Guest

Anything to do with industry and money is going to have a large negative impact in some form or another. Recycling vs products made from virgin materials is the lesser of 2 evils. Far lesser. And you may be surprised, but every year industries begin to rely on recycled material more and more because it is cheaper and various natural resources are becoming too expensive to justify producing materials from scratch (such as crude oil, used to make petrol, which is used in the production of many grades of virgin plastic). I guarantee you, that there will be a good amount of commercial goods around your home that have been produced from recycled materials, it is just very few that actually promote it.

Recycling IS better than sending stuff to landfills, regardless of P&T's pisstake. Land filling is bad sure, but the big difference is how much is cut back from producing virgin materials.

Ultimately though, if you hate what all this stuff does to the environment etc etc, the only way to stop it would be to give up every single modern day luxury, and anything that has to do with industry ever. Basicaly live in a shack made out of branches and wear animal skins or flax skirts, eating nothing but fresh organic vegetables grown yourself and hunt wild animals for meat.