Lance Armstrong

Discussion in 'People' started by DarkLunacy, Jun 1, 2004.

1. odonII

odonII O

Skip is on holiday 27 weeks of the year. Coincidence?

2. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

So he has money, doesn't mean he gets it from here...

3. odonII

odonII O

It was just a joke. :leaving:

4. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

OH sorry, lol

5. odonII

odonII O

:D

6. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Wow, I'm kinda surprised at your reaction, ZW.

May I point out that my original post had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Lance in particular, bicycle racing, or any damn sport.
    It was about my dismay at the responses from ordinary people who are not impacted in any way at all by whatever event/person/thing yet have a need to vent and speak out about it as if it DID have some personal significance.

You can apply my post/sentiment to a plethora of similar situations.

You are usually right there with me in picking up on this type of crap, ZW, but I guess in this instance you have taken my comments as some slight against Lance and his sport. Not the case at all.

And yes, he would beat me on a hill climb, Hell, who am I kidding he would beat me going downhill.......well maybe not considering I would probably fall and tumble down as opposed to riding, so it would depend on how steep the hill is and how fast I tumble down it.

Given a steep enough hill, I could probably win. :p

7. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

I do get your point, I was just trying to illustrate how an ordinary person could have their feelings impacted by the mis-deeds of the likes of Armstrong, or really any celebrated person that gets where they are by unscrupulous means.

8. Sam101

Sam101 Member

Ummmm, wouldn't that be practically anyone? Just saying....

Most people who get to the top do so by unscrupulous means.. In one way or another... Not too many people are "squeaky clean"....

Least not in my experience they aren't. :afro:

9. puggybear

puggybear stars may twinkle-but I shine!

Does anyone know exactly what the drug he's accused of taking actually DO?
    I mean,enhance,stimulate,give extra stamina? What?
    Coz I could swig a full can of Red Bull,chomp on a few bananas,munch a jar of peatnut butter,have a massage and get a ten minute head-start and he'd STILL beat me up a hill!
    To be the man who says to every cancer sufferer across the world "Look at me-it's not the end,if you fight back" seems worth every honour he's ever won.

So he took a few banned substances-hands up,everyone here who hasn't,at some time.

10. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

In todays world that might not be an entirely unfair generalization...don't get me started.

Wait, here's one...
    [​IMG]

If you can think of a way to cheat your way to the top of pro golf please let me know.

11. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I agree, golf is one of the purest sports around.

12. odonII

odonII O

Erythropoietin (EPO), also known as “E,” “Po,” “Edgar” or “Edgar Allen Poe,” among other names. EPO is used by athletes to increase the number of red blood cells in their circulatory system which are available to carry oxygen. … Even after the EPO urine test was developed and implemented in sport in late 2000 EPO was difficult to detect and the Respondents [Armstrong, a team director, team captain and team doctors] implemented a number of means to avoid detection of EPO use, including: micro-dosing (i.e., using smaller amounts of EPO to reduce the clearance time of the drug), intravenous injections (i.e., injecting the drug directly into the vein rather than subcutaneously to reduce clearance time), saline, plasma or glycerol infusions (described below) and various effort to avoid testing by drug testers at times that EPO might still be detectable in the riders’ urine. … Multiple riders with firsthand knowledge will testify that between 1998 and 2005 Armstrong personally used EPO and on multiple occasions distributed EPO to other riders.

Blood transfusions (a/k/a “blood doping”). Blood transfusions generally involve the extraction of an athlete’s own blood pre-competition and re-infusion of that blood shortly before or during competition (e.g., in the evening or on a rest day in a multistage race) to increase the athlete’s oxygen carrying red blood cells. By increasing the number of circulating red blood cells, transfusions increase the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood and enhance endurance and recovery. No effective anti-doping test has yet been implemented to detect autologous transfusions (i.e., transfusions of an athlete’s own blood). … Multiple riders will testify that during the period 2000-2005 Armstrong used blood transfusions, was observed having blood re-infused, including during the Tour de France, and had blood doping equipment at his residence.

Testosterone. Also known on the USPS and Discovery Channel cycling teams as “oil.” Testosterone is an anabolic agent and can increase muscle mass and strength. In smaller doses anabolic agents such as testosterone can promote muscle recovery from strenuous exercise and increase endurance. Andriol consists of testosterone undecanoate, a steroid which can be mixed with oil and taken orally. Taken in this way the drug can be absorbed into the lymphatic system without being transported to the liver, making the drug more effective and reducing the prospect of liver damage. Multiple riders who competed on the USPS and Discovery Channel teams from 1998 through 2007 have reported that Dr. Ferrari [an alleged co-conspirator] developed a method of mixing testosterone (i.e., andriol) with olive oil for oral administration. … USADA has eyewitness statements from multiple sources that Lance Armstrong used testosterone and administered the testosterone-olive oil mixture to himself and other riders.

Human Growth Hormone (hGH). Human growth hormone is improperly used in sport to increase strength and lean muscle mass, to assist in weight loss and promote recovery. Multiple riders who competed on the USPS and Discovery Channel teams from 1998 through 2007 have reported to USADA that team director Johan Bruyneel, team trainer Jose Pepe Marti and team doctors Luis del Moral and Pedro Celaya provided human growth hormone to team members.

Corticosteroids (e.g., cortisone). These drugs reduce inflammation, assist in recovery and can provide a burst of energy and create a temporary feeling of increased energy and well-being. Throughout the relevant time period, corticosteroids were improperly provided to cyclists by team doctors and trainers to increase energy and enhance performance. … USADA will also rely upon firsthand testimony from witnesses who were aware of Armstrong’s use of cortisone without medical authorization.

Saline and plasma infusions. Throughout much of the relevant period the UCI [Union Cycliste International] employed a blood monitoring program and would not permit riders to compete if the rider’s hematocrit (i.e., percentage of mature red blood cells) exceeded 50%. To avoid exceeding the 50% hematocrit threshold and to prevent detection of the rider’s EPO use and/or blood transfusions, Respondents used the prohibited technique of saline, plasma or glycerol infusions to mask their use of prohibited substances and/or methods. … USADA will also present testimony concerning infusions given to numbers USPS riders, including Lance Armstrong.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/08/...ce-armstrong-accused-of-taking/#ixzz2ANozLiyX

13. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

hahaha this is my original username, I didn't even know it was on here, that gave me a giggle. :)

My ex really was a douche. So is Lance. Sounds like he has gone out of his way to intimidate a lot of people to cover up his dirty secret. Maybe it's just cyclists in general.

14. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I met lance and talked with him a few minutes. I think he's a really cool dude.
    I don't know if the drug issue is legit or not. I know he pissed off a few people by being so successful in races. He's good, you have to admit that. And yeah he has money coming in, otherwise there's no way he could train for these races.

That's why you don't see very many Joe Normal's out there in these races, much less winning them.

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I will admit that he's a great cyclist even without epo and blood transfusions but it is not his successes that pisses most people of. It is how he made these successes. I was always rather neutral about Lance Armstrong (I thought his good deeds were praiseworthy too but I never get these yellow ribbon kind of actions) so when there is no proof and I'm not a fan of the sport why give a heck indeed. Anyway now that there is proof this all changes of course. Essentially it is not about him but about the impact of his dishonest ways.
    What Noxious gas seems to are saying is why do you care about a person's immoral actions when it does not affect you personally. Well, I guess I just don't like such actions to become blatantly normal in our society.

16. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

The very fact that you consider this whole episode to be an "immoral act" proves my point.

Your making WAAAYYYYY more out of this than it is in reality.
    It wasn't an immoral act, does not/will not have a lasting impact on society, it was simply some athlete cheating.

Not new and not news IHMHO.

p.s. in case you haven't noticed, such actions are already normal in our society

17. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

So to you, cheating to win isn't immoral?

Well maybe we should shine a light on it so the other cheating bastards start to at least lose a little sleep, hmm?
    I mean why protest anything as long as you perceive it to be the norm?
    And hell, why not cheat yourself, everyone else is doing it...:rolleyes:

18. Sam101

Sam101 Member

Nah, you will see.. in the natural way things tend to evolve, "cheating" will eventually become its own sport!

Can you imagine that? Cheating as an Olympic event... "And here he comes around the bend perfect form, he has executed a perfect injection, and has just dropped his final box of thumbtacks..."

:afro:

19. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

^^^LOL

Here's one that really steams my ass...:p

Doping scandal hits pigeon racing

CHELTENHAM, England - After rocking the worlds of cycling and track and field, the scourge of doping is ruffling feathers in another athletic endeavor: pigeon racing.

"I've had a lot of suspicions because of certain performances," says Frank Brammer, an 81-year-old fancier from Gloucester who started racing pigeons in 1937, when he was 14. "Some people who have to win at all cost will dope their pigeons," he says. He adds that he has caught fellow fanciers using other tricks to cheat - such as tampering with race clocks or with pigeons' identification rings.
    http://www.ergogenics.org/pigeonracing.html

20. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

C'mon now, going a little overboard there.

Cheating isn't "right" I agree, but I personally don't view what Armstrong did as a "socially immoral act", maybe on a personal level and it does speak volumes about an individual's integrity, but socially immoral?, not in my opinion. It does show a lack of respect and responsibility to those who did hold Armstrong in a revered position.

I guess from my perspective of being a person who has never esteemed pro sports to be important to the outrageous degrees we see daily, the whole thing is being given far more attention and import than it deserves.

Again, this is my opinion, it's not right, it's not wrong, it's opinion.
    :mickey: