Lance Armstrong

Discussion in 'People' started by DarkLunacy, Jun 1, 2004.

1. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

it isnt just the tour de france...it is the spoils of the victor that he enjoyed and is still enjoying now....

i wonder if he could flame out all the way to being broke,destitute and friendless?

2. Sam101

Sam101 Member

Anyone can do that, all it takes is time and of course just doing every bit of destructive behavior that comes to mind. Most famous people break down at some point. Lots of past examples to give:

Charlie Sheen
    Marilyn Monroe
    Whitney Houston
    Amy Winehouse

So, could it be possible? Yes. While not all of the above examples are friendly, broke/destitute they did flame out all the way to the bottom. Although some would contradict me and say Charlie Sheen is far from the bottom, but I would say any real friends he had he probably pissed away along the line...

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I agree, I guess that was more focussed on opinions in this thread like who cares it is cycling. I am not such a fan of pro cycling myself to be honest but it is popular here among a lot of people and it just is a pro sport with pro standards and rules. The guy fucked up immensely and that he did some good stuff with all his cheating and lying has only made him a bigger hero. Well not in my book. He is the definition of a glory-hungry loser and was willing to do a lot to get that glory. Manipulating his teammates, bribing the officials, stigmatizing righteous journalists etc. etc.

4. Asmodean

Wtf has Charlie Sheen to do with this and have you any credible knowledge about his friendships? Not that I want to know if you do but if you do not have such info why make such speculations about it.

5. Sam101

Sam101 Member

He was just an example.. And dude.. It was all over the news, and TMZ, and he has even said it himself...

Who pissed in your cereal bowl this morning?

6. Asmodean

Metaphorically speaking you did :D Oh Charlie and his friendships were on the news, so you know all about his personal life now? Please don't think you can speak about these celebs personal matters. You dissappoint me if you think you can validly do so. I thought in another thread it was obvious celebs' lifes and their friendships do not need to be on the news and streets to be discussed by 'common' nitwits who think they are something special or are known to them through a show thus it make sense to talk about their personal life like you know shit. For all I know Sheen's media attention (for example :p) could be just a planned hoax too to get both attention for his old show that continued with another big shot and his new show instead of just covering news about his spectacular and sensational behaviour.

7. Sam101

Sam101 Member

You have a valid point there. I believe a lot of what "slips out" to the MSM is basically just to get publicity.

Actors ACT after all, so maybe he's just lapping it up all the way to the bank and is the happiest SOB on the planet :D

I don't claim to know everything about anything, much less celeb's relationships. Personally, I don't care one way or the other, I was just making conversation ;)

8. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

Just because a non-famous person receives no universal recognition for personal pain does not mean that what a famous person goes through to survive through a disease is any less admirable. The only difference is that one is in the public eye where as the other is not. After all, we cannot all be in the public eye. Human pain is not diminished by lack of media coverage.

9. Asmodean

Certainly, it is when a (famous or not) person was cheating that makes it less admirable. He would most likely not even got the chance to start such a succesful foundation if he didn't won the tour 7 times doped up. So his admirable actions are in this particular case unfortunately intertwined with his falsely achieved succes.

10. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

If that is the case, then I agree with you. Unfortunately, I pay very little attention to those in the limelight. Their lives mean nothing to me because I'm living my own.

11. Asmodean

I share that outlook but bicycle racing and the tour de france are big here in the Netherlands and so I was aware of their struggles with doping that is ruining the complete sport and I just can be very glad that my fellow humans care about such falsely proclaimed heroes when the proof has gotten out at last. His success has also ruined other peoples chances and that he has also earned a lot of money with this shit does not go well with me either. This guy does not deserves to be in the lists of cycling champions and is also a disgrace for any pro that has lend his name to such a great foundation.
    Otherwise I would not be rambling about his famous persona on an internetforum neither :D

12. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

I repeat, THEY ALL CHEAT!
    Lance just happened to get ratted out that's all. I'm glad to see him stripped of his medals but it's not going to change anything. Pick a professional sport, any sport... I guarantee you they are ALL using performance enhancing drugs or doping or what-ever the latest undetectable...

"You want to win don't you?"

13. It has been known for a long time that professional cycling was riddled with cheating on every level. I am so glad the sport has been exposed for what it is. It's such a shame though that one person has to take the fall. He is no less guilty, but he is not the only one guilty of bringing his "sport" into disrepute!

14. Asmodean

He is one of them who took the most advantance of it though.

15. odonII

odonII O

:rolleyes:

It's funny reading comments about people who have turned out to be not quite what most thought.

16. odonII

odonII O

This is a bit harsh and unfair. :(

17. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Oh you down-play everything...Keep takin' your pills man ;)

[​IMG]

:biggrinjester:

18. odonII

odonII O

I might be at one end of the spectrum - but you are at the other. :rolleyes::eek:

Every single sportsperson? o_O

:book: - does not seem legite

19. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Professional sports... and the exceptions prove the rule here...they rarely win.
    Plenty of steroids and doping on the recruitment levels too I'm sure, they aren't stupid either, they know what it takes to compete...:(

20. odonII

odonII O

I can believe all American sports persons are on drugs :D