Lake Mead to be declared a water shortage

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Totally Yoda, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

But let's keep building cities in the desert and more mega hotels in Las Vegas. That'll go real well.

erofant, scratcho and ~Zen~ like this.
  2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Looks like a marina I once boated from.

25 years ago they were headed down the rabbit hole.

I left in '96 and at that time they had passed a law against new lawns and people were ripping them out.

I love the water police going around busting people for overflowing sprinklers.

scratcho and Totally Yoda like this.
  3. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Lots of ways to fix the problem, some more straightforward than others.

In-fra-struct-ure is key

An "interstate water system" could fix the West's water woes

In most of these regions, solar/thermal energy is available and abundant enough to drive desalination processes so even if we pumped up sea water from the gulf of Mexico, make a saltwater lake Havasu, we could meet demand for growth and maybe even transform some of these desert landscapes into semitropical biomed

Totally Yoda and ~Zen~ like this.
  4. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

Lawn sprinklers are very wasteful. We have them in the development I live in. Turns on at the worse possible times. Comes on when it's raining. Comes on when people are leaving for work. I ended up turning it off. Needless to say the neighbors did the same by their condos ;)

Anyways. This is an example of over development. Part of the problem.

~Zen~ likes this.
  5. ~Zen~

Very interesting idea, but take the water from the Pacific, not the Sea of Cortez please... and what do you do with all the salty waste water? Pump it out onto the desert floor in an ecological nightmare?

I do like the idea... the existing water plumbing system has been over used for a century. It has had an effect on the Sea of Cortez already with no fresh water reaching the sea from the Colorado RIver as in the past.

We like our Gulf of California the way it is, please don't mess it up more.

erofant and Totally Yoda like this.
  6. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

I like this idea better instead of clogging rivers with dams messing with fish migration.

~Zen~ likes this.
  7. ~Zen~

Technology and science can cure the problems... if only people would believe in it!

We have several generations of people in charge in this country who went to bible schools and religious colleges. They do not teach reality, they teach a fiction that I do not understand.

I switched out of my first college to not take Old Testament history as a requirement.

Totally Yoda and FritzDaKatx2 like this.
  8. FritzDaKatx2

No reason to pump out brine, open air ponds are already used to make sea salt via evaporation in various parts of the world, wash rinse repeat.
    Any water heading back would be fresh and if not, the Salton Sea is almost gone, is brine already sooo, maybe that's where to direct any "wastewater"?

9. FritzDaKatx2

I should also mention the article I linked is actually about pumping freshwater from the Mississippi River, not saltwater, I just like the idea of making inland mini-oceans for the sake of expanding the seafood and biofuels industry

GreenWave

10. ~Zen~

Sounds like there are a lot of great reasons to do this!

Good thinking!

Totally Yoda likes this.
  11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My Gramma used to boat on Tulare Lake in the late 1800s , early 1900s and it was the largest freshwater lake west of the Mississippi. Often it ran from my hometown of Lemoore ( 32 miles south of Fresno) clear over to where highway 5 is now. It's all farmed now and is gone. I suppose with this drought , it would have shrunk to almost nothing like the other lakes are presently doing.

12. FritzDaKatx2

Numbers seem to indicate 108 acre-feet of h2O from wherever could be transported daily via repurposed XL Pipeline materials.

Maybe "Sleepy Joe" can come up with even more replacement jobs for those previously employed by the fossil fuels industry?
    Turns out pyrolytic oil runs through refineries just like and often alongside crude oil so we could run on seaweed based fuel that would have a carbon-negative impact as long as the Charcoal byproduct wasn't later burned, but I digress,,,

13. erofant

erofant Members

Lakes and water supplies drying up. Groundwater for wells going dry. Anger and some panic beginning to rise. Exceptionally severe droughts in various global locations.

The various extremes in global weather - not just in the U.S. - are the product of wanton, wasteful (but quick and profitable!) burning of fossil fuels. The VERY RAPID rise in atmospheric CO-2 (as compared to past historical records proven by SCIENCE) has happened mainly in the last 140 years - a mere fart in time - given the Earth's age. What's the defining factor during that 140 year period?? The industrial age. The burning of fossil fuels.

For those who don't understand fossil fuels, and what makes them dangerous to our existence, consider this. Fossil fuels are any BURIED fuel sources that will NOT release their carbon into the atmosphere if left buried. But when humans dig up (coal) or drill for (oil & natural gas) and burn those "fossilized fuels" for travel, electricity, heat, etc. - those previously buried (trapped) carbon sources are now released into our atmosphere. They are the sources of the "greenhouse gases" that we hear about in the news, which trap more & more of the sun's HEAT here in our atmosphere. That's how global warming is (and HAS BEEN) occurring and changing our global climate.

The earth is a large terrarium (remember those from science class??) - an enclosed, finite environment. We have an "bubble" surrounding the earth ............ and it's not all that far above the earth's surface. So the more CRAP we pump into that "bubble" (in the forms of various carbon-based greenhouse gases) the hotter the earth will get. The atmospheric "CRAP" of pollutants CANNOT ESCAPE the earth's atmosphere - it's trapped here inside our "bubble." Hotter earth = more & more droughts (as we have had for about a decade in the Western U.S.), more wildfires, and in other areas of the world - more record rains with associated flooding. More droughts and floods = less food able to be grown. It's either too dry to grow food at all, or if crops get planted in other, rainier areas, they get flooded out and lost.

We here in the spoiled-rotten U.S. tend to only think in terms of "us" here - in the U.S. We tend to not consider that most other "developed" countries are doing the same polluting as we are. Billions of people driving vehicles, burning coal for heat and generating electricity, burning oil & natural gas for heat / generating electricity, etc. Electricity can be the answer ........... IF it's generated by hydro, nuclear, solar, and wind sources. Those sources require NO FOSSIL FUEL BURNING to accomplish the generating of electricity. Nuclear power plants DO NOT pollute the atmosphere as some people believe. The "smoke" coming out of the cooling tower stacks is just steam - nothing more. It's not radioactive - it comes from a closed-loop system much like the radiator in your car. I know because I've worked building 2 nuclear plants during my career - I know how they function.

Bottom line is ........... if we don't cut back HUGELY on pumping carbon-based "greenhouse gases" into our atmosphere, we'll destroy that terrarium "bubble" we live in ........... and we CANNOT leave for another clean planet to start all over. We're continuing to DEVASTATE and RUIN the only place we have to live. Are we really the smartest animals on this planet????????

14. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

We had plenty of opportunities to change our bad habits. Me personally think it's to late and we're at the point of no return.

scratcho and erofant like this.
  15. erofant

erofant Members

A number of climate scientists agree it may be too late to reverse the human-created carnage. We also continue to pollute the world's oceans .............. the earth's biggest source of oxygen. Combine that with millions of acres of rainforest cutting & burning each year ( the earth's 2nd biggest source of oxygen ) and we have a REAL problem on our hands. Maybe our kids / grandkids will face slow suffocation.

But hey ............. we HAVE to get record oil & gas profits again next quarter. CEO's bonuses depend on it. Commerce and business ............. making record profits at all costs. Even life on earth is of NO CONSEQUENCE.

Totally Yoda and scratcho like this.
  16. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Collateral Damage...

scratcho and erofant like this.
  17. FritzDaKatx2

The writers of fiction have long ago seen fit to convince humanity that the underdog inevitably pulls off a win at the last second despite all evidence to the contrary in the real world.

Tyrsonswood and scratcho like this.
  18. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The money grubbers ----those for whom the acquisition of riches at the expense of everyone else and in fact life on earth , could and most likely WILL continue their wanton ways up to and including the disappearance of 99% of all wildlife , the dissolution of the great forests , the ruination and virtual disappearance of ALL fish stocks in the polluted oceans-----and will operate on the axiom--WE'LL ADJUST. Meanwhile ,as the man-made end times unfold, there will be chaos, unbelievable human suffering and much lamentation over the abject stupidity of the human race relative to the treatment of this little blue planet that could have been a paradise for sentience if only properly thought solutions had prevailed . But please--just remember ---BUY MORE. BUY MORE NOW!! Because what you are hearing with your own ears and seeing with your own eyes is not what is happening. Many people are saying.

erofant likes this.
  19. erofant

erofant Members

This is why the world's VERY RICHEST people purchased land in New Zealand and built underground bunkers ............. correction .............. multi-level palaces - stockpiled with every luxury one can imagine. Filtered, isolated air systems, underground hospital / pharmacies, (complete with privately-hired doctors), wine cellars, food supplies for years, communications systems, outdoor sensors to evaluate the outside atmosphere, and extremely well-hidden, coded entry access hatches to keep out the riff-raff.

I'm NOT making this stuff up. The country of New Zealand stopped all "outsider" land purchases because the VERY RICH were buying so much land, that New Zealand was becoming a doomsday outpost for the richest people. New Zealand is essentially unspoiled - an isolated paradise that the VERY RICHEST want to claim as "theirs" in the event of total disaster.

We "peons" will have to scrape an existence out of the ruined wasteland outside .................... or DIE.

As Scratcho said above ........

Buy more NOW!! Buy ......... dispose (somewhere in a landfill or dump in the oceans) ............ buy more stuff .............. dispose of those things .............. rinse & repeat. The true path to happiness is in owning as much as is humanly possible.

Now excuse me while I go BUY the latest / greatest "smartphone" that will tickle my n*t sac while I drive down the highway taking "selfies" of myself in heavy traffic to post on EVERY social media site to show the world how great I am.

scratcho likes this.
  20. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

I have read somewhere that some of the reservoirs have completely dried up and there is uncapped wells gushing water out.