Lady said "men kill for sex" to me

Discussion in 'Men's Issues' started by Thinking of Cora, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Thinking of Cora

Thinking of Cora Members

I happened to be talking to a lady about shoplifting from a store. She said "and who'd be stealing? young men?". I pointed out that statistically women steal more. She was surprised. Perhaps I would have been too a few years ago... after all men probably commit more crimes in general. I asked her why she was surprised and she said "oh just wishful thinking". A bit later she went on to say that women steal for more noble reasons. So I pointed out that cosmetics are most commonly stolen item, and there's nothing noble about stealing that! She pondered deeper into the psychology of why women commit crimes, and preceded to talk about how mothers who kill their kids (although crazy) often do so for reasons to do with love. I didn't really agree, but yet didn't know what to say right away. The next thing she said was a bit bizarre. "men however kill for all sorts of reasons; money, and sex!" I didn't mind her mentioning money, but it was the mention of sex that got to me. It would have been different if she had said "men kill because of jealousy" or something like that.

Now it wasn't the sort of situation where either of us wanted to get into a passionate debate (and that's why she should have known not to make such a remark), so I don't think I really said anything back. If I knew the right zinger I would have said it, but I didn't want to get into a debate. It's funny as I do happen to feel equally as strong about the subject as her, but from the opposite perspective. It was hard for me not to say anything.

I don't think anyone kills for sex though? As in someone saying to a pimp "Hey I'm really horny there, if you let me have sex with one of your girls I'll kill that fella who's bribing you". Now of course, men who rape women may kill them after the act, so maybe that's what she meant?

At one point I said that the idea of men being considered more evil than women is often based on a misconception; "that if a man wants to hurt/kill someone he'll use a tool... if a woman wants to hurt someone she'll use a man". I don't think it really went in when I said it though.