Labour intensive cooking

Discussion in 'So you want to be a Vegetarian?' started by Deleted member 157313, Apr 5, 2013.

1. I like cooking but oh how I hate how much time I spend in the kitchen because I do not use any processed foods or ready meals. In my neck of the woods I also do not have access to vegetarian burgers, sausages, cheese or whatever that those of you who live in the developped world have available in any decent supermarket ;) Take today for example; went to "liberate oranges" a 6k round trip,collected some aloe vera on the way back, prepared the filling and the pastry for a leek and sun dried tomato quiche. Prepared the mixture for mushroom croquettes which has to be left overnight to be ready to "roll" tomorrow. Poached strawberries in dark brown sugar and lemon and then prepared the cranberries for the muffins. That was all before lunch.
    This afternoon rolled the pastry,finished the filling prepared potatoes and made muffins.
    This isn't even a particularly "kitchen busy" day. Do you vegetarians or vegans spend as much time in the kitchen? :nopity:

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I tend to make intentional leftovers, and do a grandiose meal weekly.
    So, I'll have rice with grilled veggies and some sauce. leftover rice becomes pilaf, extra grilled veggies are breakfast, soup or lentils/beans go with the pilar for dinner with greens (cooked or raw)
    Bread might appear the next day, with veggies and a different sauce than earlier in the week. (But likely I made enough of both for two dinners)
    I'll freeze, or use pressure cooking to shorten kitchen time.

3. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

So, think about peasant Mexican women before the introduction of commercially prepared masa...
    sun-up to sundown nixtamalizing corn, grinding it to making tortillas or tamales ( I've done this, there is nothing like fresh prepared masa), soaking and slow cooking pinto beans, roasting chili pods, preparing salsas...and no refrigeration.

[​IMG]

Some of the best food is the simplest IMO, but unfortunately much of it takes forever to prepare properly.