Labor stories

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Maggie Sugar, Mar 3, 2005.

1. curious__

curious__ Member

My wife gave birth to twin babies, a boy and a girl, via a quasi-planned c-section and I was present at her surgery. Her birth experience was pretty uneventful. I am saying 'quasi' because it was not linked to some arbitrary date, but we waited until she was half-way dilated. She was given epidural anesthesia, which went smoothly and she gave birth very quickly. Her docs were saying that she reached full term, 40 weeks, but I suspect (and I have reasons...) that this was a case of late fertility so I believe she must have been 38 weeks old. The babies didn't require any NICU intervention even though they didn't nurse immediately. My wife's recovery is reasonable. She had to undergo c-section because neither baby was head-first.

One thing that was amazing while dealing with the docs was how anxious they were to set a date for surgery totally arbitrarily; they would estimate her due date (judging solely by her last period) and then offer some date...'hey, September X sounds like a good day...what do you think?' HORRIBLE.

I am very greatful for the advice I've been given on this forum because it prepared me well, so I could act as if I was my wife's lawyer when dealing with the docs. yeah.

Best wishes to you all.

2. lola78

lola78 Member

congrats! Carrying twins that long is a feat and your wife deseerves a big pat on the back. I think having learned more about you and your wife's pregnancy concerns really gave you guys the upper hand to deal with the medical "establishment"

3. toothfairy

toothfairy Member

I was a week overdue and was told on the friday by the midwife that, if i hadn't had my baby by the following monday that i would have to be induced. This was my third child and i thought 'no bloody way'. So we spent saturday morning out and about, checking out yard sales and a fete.
    We got home just after lunch and i had a show of blood. About 10 minutes later the contracions hit hard and within the hour they were 10 cm apart .
    I rang the hospital and was told to wait until they were coming every 5 minutes. Even though i explained we lived half an hour away, they said it would be a while yet and there was no need to hurry.
    I had a feeling it was going to be quick though, so i rang my sister to see if she could come watch the other children, she wasn't home.
    Just then i had a really strong contraction and a small gush, it was quite bloody and i was worried. We were just about to bundle the kids into the car when my mum walked in the door. I told her it was time. She looked at me and asked if i was sure cause i didn't look in that much pain and i seemed pretty calm. I told her i was pretty sure. We jumped in the car and then realised after our morning of driving around we needed fuel. Stopping at the service staion i felt my waters gush all over the front seat. We got to the hospital in record time. I was crowning and as hubby ran in to get someone my son's head emerged. I caught him just as the hospital staff and hubby returned. I must say they were quite shocked. They just thought he was a panicked dad and there was no real rush. They clamped the cord and i cut it and then exited the car wrapped in a blanket and was horrified to find about 30 odd people standing there. (hospital staff had covered the windscreen the second they had realised what was happening. They applauded me and then i was taken upstairs when i delivered the placenta and took a bath with my new son.

Definately not the way i had planned it, i had planned on using the big
    corner tub in their newly built big single birthing rooms. Poor hubby spent forever getting that car clean.

4. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

I love your story toothfairy! That sounds like one of those stories you would only hear on TV!

5. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

I woke up at about 10 a.m. and had the worst pain ever. I thought it was because of the Taco Bell I had eaten the night before, so I went to the bathroom and hung out for a while. Nothing happened, so I went back to bed and layed there with shooting pains like nothing I'd ever felt.
    Preston's step dad woke up and was on the phone with his sister and she was asking when I was due and he said any day now....I was like "I think it's going to be today." By that time, I couldn't even lay down....the contractions were so strong they took my breath away. But, I still kept telling myself that it was just the Taco Bell making it's way out.
    Finally, Preston woke up and by that time I was in tears. He curled up around me and asked me what was going on. I told him and he said "I think we should get mom." So, he called her in and I told her what was happening, and she told me she thinks we should go to the hospital. I called my mom, and she called my dad.
    I got to the hospital at about 11:30 a.m. The lady at the ER desk asked me what kind of pains I was feeling, how far along I was, and how far apart my contractions were....by that time, I had figured out that I was really in labor and not just having really bad gas....my tummy had DROPPED. At that time, they were about 3-4 minutes apart and getting stronger and closer together.
    I was admitted and taken to the L/D room. I was hooked to a monitor for contrations and the baby's heartbeat. I was given a saline I.V. I told the nurse I needed to pee, and she fought me on it forever, Preston told her that I was going to use the bathroom whether she wanted me to or not, so she unhooked me and I went to pee. I tried to poo as well and had a BIG contraction that made me cry. The nurse told me I wasn't allowed to go to the bathroom again and put in a cathedar. A few different nurses checked my dilation and called in the doctor. At 12:00 noon, I was 7 cm dilated and 90% effaced.
    The nurse that was taking care of me told another nurse to go get the doctor and Preston went to get my mom from the waiting room. When everybody had left, I asked the nurse who the doctor on call was....she told me it was Dr. ****** and I wanted to just roll over and give up. This particular doctor had killed a baby recently by piercing it's brain with an internal monitor and given another recent one brain damage with the IM. I cried and told the nurse to unhook me and I was going to a different hospital. She asked why and I was like "I don't want her to kill my baby. She's going to kill her or hurt her and I don't want her here." The nurse said she wouldn't let anyone hurt my baby.
    They called in the doctor and she checked me. She told them I was 7 cm, but could be stretched to 8cm with ease....that was the most painful thing I've ever felt....her stretching my cervix.
    So, the doctor asked me if I wanted an epidural. I cried again and told them I didn't want to be paralyzed. A nurse told me that in her 15 years of being in her field, she'd not seen one person paralyzed from the epidural. So, I looked over at my mom....who didn't want me to have one and told her I thought I needed it. She told me it was for the better because I was so stressed and anxious that I was about to pass out.
    So, they called in the anesthesiologist. By the time she got there I was 9 cm and 100% effaced and my contractions were about 45 seconds apart. I was told to tell the anesthesiologist when my next contraction was over and to sit really, REALLY still while she administered the epidural. I had to wait until 4 were over before I was hyped enough to go through with it. I only did it then because the anesthesiologist told me that if I wait any longer, she'd not be able to give the epidural to me. They give me a pillow to hug to keep me more stable and Preston held my legs because I was so scared they were shaking the whole bed. My mom held my hand.
    The epidural took about 2 seconds to kick in. Lol. I was like....my legs tingle, this is nice.
    After that, I couldn't feel ANYTHING. It was amazing. My dad told me to look at my contractions and I just laughed and said "I'm glad I can't feel THAT one."
    The nurse asked my dad and everyone that wasn't going to be there for the delivery to leave the room. She told me to pull my legs up to my chest and push for 10 seconds, three times during a contraction. Preston turned white and had to get a cold rag to drape over his neck. Ahahahaha. He was so nervous....
    After about 5 times of that, the nurse checked me again and said she could see the head. She called for the doctor.
    Around 2:00 p.m. the nurse waltzed in the room. They broke the bed down....it was one of those that you just take off the bottom half of the bed and pull the stirrups up. She broke my water (I guess she has NO clue what she was doing because she cut the top of Alexis head....right on her freaking soft spot....with the water breaker. And, the water totally splashed on my leg. It was gross feeling.), and told the nurse to get an internal monitor ready. I told Preston I didn't want it and he was like "What?" I was talking low. So, she brought the monitor over and was like, I'm going to use this. I said "NO! Do NOT bring that thing near me. I don't want it and you can't use it." She told me that the baby's heartbeat won't be detectable after she starts moving down so much and if something went wrong, we wouldn't know until it was too late. I said "She's healthy and I know it, nothing is going to go wrong. I'm not going to let you use it." She said alright and put it away.
    She told me that when I felt pressure, I needed to push down as hard as I could. I was told to bring my chin to my chest and bear down. I felt pressure and pushed. I had to do that for 10 seconds, three times during each contraction. The doctor kept me updated as to how the baby was looking. Mom was helping me push and told Preston to switch her places (She was towards my feet, he was up near my head talking to me and keeping me calm) when they switched, Alexis' head popped out. He turned more pale than he was before and kinda fell back. Mom brought him back to the bed and said he could have the top of the bed back. Ahahahaha. He was worse off than me at that point.
    The cord was around Alexis' neck twice, so the doctor had to cut the cord, but she left enough for Preston to cut aswell.
    At 2:37 p.m. Alexis was born. The doctor layed her on my chest and I just dazed off. She was so beautiful. And, SHE WAS CRYING. That really was the most beautiful sound I'd ever heard in my life. I knew she was alive and healthy. :D
    The doctor extracted the placenta and showed it to me. It was pretty gross looking. She stitched me up (I didn't have the episiotomy, she talked me into the perineal massage....and, I'm glad. I only had two tears and those were on the inner labia.)
    While she was stitching me, I looked over at Alexis who was on the table under the light getting cleaned off and wrapped up and cried. My mom looked back and mouthed "Great job, she's gorgeous." And, Preston winked at me.
    Preston brought her over to me....he was scared he'd drop her, that was the first time he'd ever held a baby. I told him to hold her while I was getting stitched, by that time, the epidural had worn off and I could feel the stitching. I was afraid I'd flinch and hurt her.
    I got to hold her about 5 minutes and they took her off to the nursery for an hour and a half. I cried the whole time she was gone. Everybody that was there was at the nursery window looking at her and I was all alone. It was kind of lonesome. After about a half an hour, Preston came in and told me she was beautiful. He said she had the biggest, most beautiful blue eyes in the world. He told me how much she weighed and how long she was. He was excited.
    Then, my dad came in. He and his fiancee and her son brought Alexis and I each a stuffed animal.
    After that, everyone else slowly made their way in to tell me how pretty she was.
    I was upset that I hadn't gotten to see her longer than I had and everyone just made me jealous.
    I had a nice labor, though. Only pushed for about a half an hour. I was up and walking around 10 minutes after I had Alexis and was stitched. I had to pee and I told the nurse she couldn't stop me then. Lol.

6. BeyondHeroism

BeyondHeroism Member

I'm going to try and edit this the best I can, but I wrote it soon after she was born, on another forum, so some parts might not make sense.

I was due on March 21st, and nothing was going on! I was 1cm for the past few weeks. I went to the dr. on Thursday, the dr. stripped my membranes, and sent me on my way. I went for my NST on Thursday after my dr. appt. and everything was fine, not many contractions. I went home, blah blah. On Saturday I baby sat a friend's kids, and when she got home, I was in a lot of pain. But only in one spot, so I didn't think they were contractions. She's going to nursing school right now, so she told me I should go in. I went in at 7:50pm. Hooked up to monitors and such until a little after 10pm. They told me to go home and rest, that they would induce me in the morning if i was still having the pains. Told me to come back if my pains got worse, closer together, or if my water broke. I got home around 10:30, ate, since I hadn't in hours, and then at 11pm I was sitting outside, and my water broke! Immediately my lower back started hurting. I called L&D and told them I thought my water had broken. They asked if I was having contractions, I told them my lower back was hurting really bad. They told me to take a shower, and call them back if my pain got worse. So I took a shower, and once I was dressed, I woke up my aunt and told her it was time. I was having almost contant pain. We got to the hospital around 12:30am Easter morning. I was right, my water had broken! I was having strong contractions every 2-3 minutes. But they were all in my back. I had the Stadol, to me, it helped. It took the edge off for me, definately. I slept in between my contractions for a while. By 7am when my night nurses were leaving, I was 4-5cm. The day nurse checked me and said I was 7cm, and if I wanted the spinal block, to get it now. (this hospital doesn't do epidurals) So I got the spinal block, and my dr. came in and checked me. He said I was only a 4! My labor had been progressing really well, but once I got the block, it stopped. No more contractions. Even after the block wore off, no contractions. So they started pitocin, but wouldn't give me anything for pain, afraid it would stop me from dialating. Well, I was on pitocin for 2 hours, it dripping once every 10 minutes, and I didn't dialate anymore. It was almost 5pm Sunday evening by now. My dr. said to give it another hour. I waited about half that, and told them to just do it, just do the c-section, i was done. Labored for 18 hours, 10 of those hours stuck at 5cm. So, went into surgery and got another spinal block, a much stronger one this time. My aunt was in there with me, which was great. Adrienne Elizabeth was born at 6:01pm on Easter Sunday (March 27th). She weighed 6lb 12oz and was 20 1/2 inches long. She is beautiful. Never knew I could make something this beautiful.

Newborn:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

July 2006:

[​IMG]

7. purpolstar

purpolstar Member

hello everyone here is my story.

My first is a girl she is now olmost 8 years old

it was about 10:30 am and i felt like i had to pee so i went to the bathroom an then went back to bed, i just get comfey and i feel like i have to pee again so i get out of bed and the next thing i know my water breaks, right there standing next to the bed, my husbend is sleeping on the bed and I said "honny wake up my water broke "(we lived with his mom and dad at the time.) now Natasha was not supost to be there for two more weeks so we didn't have anything togeher, so we go upstairs and his mom and dad are watching TV, his parents went buzurk when we told them "Take our car,hurry up get her to the hospital"they were comical [​IMG] i think me and my husbend were the calm ones ( We took lamaz it helps) so we get to the hospital and we find out that my DR. is in valintine for the holaday because it is labor day ha ha ha, so i got the DR on call,they had to give me a mussel relaxent because her heart beat would go down when ever i had a contraction but besides that i went all natural, i had Natasha at 12:15 PM and we are so happy to have her.

we have a little boy but i will tell you that story some outher time

[​IMG]

8. MeggieLee22

MeggieLee22 Member

Well with my first, Jillian, my water broke around 2am on my way to the bathroom, luckily it was there and not in bed! I called my mom, she came over, and we waited a little before waking my hubby (who at first refused to believe I was in labor, he had just got home from work and gone to sleep) and going to the hospital. To make a long story short, I was not dialating as quickly as I should have, so they gave me pitocin...after which point I told them to give me drugs lol. So I got some painkillers. (no epidural, I HATE needles & my back is very sensitive) After that I was in and out of consciousness for a while, I had to get more pitocin cuz the painkillers dulled my contractions again. Fast forward to 9:30 pm, I am still only 4cm dialated. At which point I was very gently told I would need a c-section, I think they thought I would be very upset, but at that point I just wanted her out, and now! So I ended up having an epidural anyways, I HATED it, worst part of the whole experience imo. It was nice having the pain go away, and the anasthesiologist was great, but it hurt like hell going in. After that everything went pretty quickly and smoothly. Jillian was born at 9:55 pm 8lbs 4.5oz, 20.5" They told me that I had hips capable of delivering a 6lb baby and that's why I was having so many problems.

So for baby #2 I opted for a planned c-section. I was thrilled, still nervous as hell about the epidural though. Just pack up, walk in (lol at 5am though, that sucked), go in to surgery, and *BAM* there's my bundle of joy. If only. The surgery went fine, although I had a horrible horrible headache. I mean, I've had migranes, but this was horrible. I thought my ears were going to bleed. I also felt really woozy, and since with Jilly I was already on painkillers, I figure it was a normal reaction. I also think I asked hubby 5 or 6 times if she was ok, I couldn't see her from where I was, and her crying sounded gurgly. He told me she was fine and beautiful then they brought her to see me. Then they sewed me back up, and brought me to my room. (I was at this point unconsious I believe because I don't remember any of it.) Hubby was down by the nursery, said he saw the doctor headed for the elevator, then a nurse came out and said something to him and they both went back to my room.
    Turns out I had undiagnosed ecclampsia and had a seizure. All I know is I woke up and everyone was so worried about me...I thought I was taking a nap lol. I had to have a CAT scan and got put on magnesium and couldn't get out of bed for 3 days (let me tell you that SUCKED cuz I felt like a million bucks) but everything turned out fine. Just goes to show you that things never turn out the way you think they will. :)

9. Crimson and Clover

Crimson and Clover Member

I was due on April 7, didnt feel anything all day. We went to my grandmothers house for our family easter get together because my sis was only in town for that night. We stayed till until about 10:30 pm then we went home. I put our two year old daughter to bed and me and my husband stayed up and talked for awhile. We finally went to bed around midnight. My husband went to sleep right away. I laid there for about 30 minutes was almost asleep and started having pains. They got worse and worse, after about an hour or so I woke my husband up and told him I think Im in labor. So we waited a little longer and they kept coming. So we got the bags and our daughter and left for the hospital. I think we got there around 4am. They monitored my contractions and checked me out I was 4 cm, so they admitted me. After a few more hours though the contractions stopped. They had me walk around a lot, but nothing happened. So they broke my water for me, still nothing and then I got put on pitocin. My contractions started back but I stayed a 4 for ever. When the midwife was checking me said she felt something weird. She thought it was a fold in her head. So she had the doctor come in and feel. She said it was her mouth she was feeling. My baby had her head turned up and was pressing her face down hard, that was why i wasnt dilating any farther. So then I was informed I was going to have to have a c-section. If i had her naturally she would hurt her neck and spine. Well I freaked out. I went comepletly natural with my first and was doing the same with the second. So i took all my jewelry off and they rolled me to the operating room. So they did all there stuff, numbed me, cut me, pulled out my baby, glued me up. I couldnt see her ofcourse and people kept coming and telling me she was fine but her face was really swollen. I didnt care I just wanted to see her. Finally I get to see her and she was so beautiful. I couldnt hold her until we got to the recovery room. Finally got to hold and feed her. She was 7 lbs 4 oz and 19 inches.

Her name is Lillian Gwyneveer Dharma.

10. xSunKissBabyx

xSunKissBabyx Member

My labor was actually really easy. I remember people telling me that their 1st time they were in labor for hours and some days. I was scared cause the nurse told me that some people go into labor for weeks :cuss: . Trinity was due July 4th 2007 when July 4th came around i still wasnt having any pains. Then July 8th came, My ant and i went to the mall to walk around I started not to feel to good so we went to the hospital. My BP was high but i was only 2cm. They made me walk around and told me that if i dont get to at least 4cm within a hour they would send me home. When the hour came i still was only 2cm :$ but because my BP was high they kept me. My boyfriend who worked the night before came in. They put me on about 3 different things to help with my pains. I dont remember to much after that only what people tell me. They gave me a sleeping pill and told me that if i dont get up to 4cm by morning they were going to make me go into labor. I kept waking up so the sleeping pill didnt help.
    I remember telling my boyfriend that I love him. I was so happy that he was there. At 10 they put the tape in me to help me. Then at 1 they stuck the big needle in my back. I went into labor and and within a hour i was at 10cm. I dont remember any part besides looking over and seeing my boyfriend there which made me so happy. Trinity was born July 9th 2007 at 2:35am. 20mins later I called my best friend and told her that I had my baby.

So it wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be.

11. Moro

Moro Member

All these stories are so magickal! They've really helped put me at ease about giving birth. So I guess in about 7 or 8 months my story will be here. I can't wait!

12. JayzzMama

JayzzMama Member

Well my story begins around midnight when I lost my mucous plug. I'd been feeling uncomfortable all evening though and felt like things might get going but, I'd been having preterm contractions since 30 weeks so it could have been nothing. By 2AM I was having regular contractions and my Stepmom, Jan, came over to help. My sister was already with us. I had already alerted the midwife, Peggy. She told me to call her back in an hour or if things started to pick up. When Jan arrived she thought we should call Peggy in right away because things looked like they were going to go fast. So next we called in my TuTu, my grandmother who was at Jimmy's birth as well as she had a pretty long drive to get to us. At this point my contractions were really going and I had to call Jan to me for every one. I'd put my arms around her and she would do the same and I'd hug her really hard and that helped alot. Finally I wanted to wake my DARLING husband for comfort so, between contractions, I hobbled in and woke him. Here's a little play by play:
    C: Steve! *pokepoke* Wake up! I'm in labor, I need you to hold me!
    S: Huuunh? Wha? O.K. O.K. *dozes back off*
    C: STEVE I NEED YOU! *gritting teeth through a contraction*
    Steve now rolls over, farts loud and long, shuffles to the bathroom and settles in for a nice long shit. And then a nice long shower. I don't see Steve again for another hour or so. I will never let him live it down. So with DH MIA, I go back to the living room and settle down in a dining chair and find that I really like sitting straight up with the nice hard chair back through contractions. So that's how the three Midwives found me when they arrived. (Butt nekkid, too.) Everyone sat back for an hour or so and watched silently. The contractions were really intense now and I started yelling and moaning to deal with them. TuTu arrived. After awhile the midwives, sensing I think, that I was a little overwhelmed, suggested that I go into the tub for awhile. So my sister ran me a hot bath and I got in and it did help. The mood got lighter and we all chatted for awhile. I discovered that I liked pulling on someones hands and having the small of my back pressed while contracting. I also remember being in a bit of a trance thru this phase. Between contractions I remember just gazing into the water at a blood clot that was floating around. It was so slow and pretty the way it swirled around, like a leaf in the wind. Sounds strange but it was beautiful and it got my mind off the pain a bit. Peggy checked and said I was at about 7. When the water cooled off I sat on the toilet a bit, but the midwives couldn't get to my back very easily to press so we moved to the bed where I sat on the side for awhile. I was getting a little tired so they made a nest of pillows for me. Every step of the way they anticipated what I would need, how I would would want to be touched, what I would need to hear. I remember sinking into the pillows and feeling such relief. They arranged me on my side with pillows between my legs and it was so nice. After awhile Peggy checked my cervix and said I was a stretchy 8 1/2 and suggested that I sit up so the babes head could do what it needed. A bit later she checked again and I was ready except for a bit of cervical lip. While she was in there she pulled the lip away, and held it like that for several contractions. That was THE MOST painful thing I have ever felt in my life! BUT, on the second contraction my water broke with a POP! and a SPLOOSH!. All present laughed because it was so dramatic. Immedietely I felt the babe rush down into the birth canal and I felt the urge to push, which I did. The pushing was very different from the pushing you do in the hospital. It was very grunty and breathy and pushed the babe just the right bit at the right time, not like a locomotive all at once like you do at the hospital. So first contraction and her head was at the opening. Second and a bit of hair was showing. Third she crowned. Fourth, her head and HAND, little bugger, were born. She turned it to the side and WHOOSH! she slipped right out! Peggy lifted her up to me and she was just a tiny slippery warm ball of Holly! She cried out right away and pinked up. We were all pretty stoked! Ten minutes of pushing (and a nuchal hand!) and no tears or swelling! I held her for awhile and talked to her. When the cord stopped pulsing my TuTu cut it. Then I had to deliver the HUGEST placenta ever, which was worse then pushing out Holly because there was no urge to push and I was so tired. But, it finally came out over the toilet. I got cleaned up and Holly got weighed and measured and examined. She does have a tiny cyst over the end of her spine but I guess it was superficial enough to be nothing. Jan, who missed the whole thing because she took Jimmy out to distract him, came back and he met his baby sister. It was SO CUTE! He laughed and giggled and just couldn't believe that we finally had her! He was/is SO SWEET to her, rubbing her head and kissing her. The midwives hugged and kissed all, and headed out. I should note that two of them were apprentices, Kim and Amy, and that Holly's birth was Kim's FIRST professional birth! So of all of the babies she will deliver, Holly will always be special to her! I think thats kind of cool! And that was it! My amazing, wonderful, spectacular Home birth!

13. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

great story, momma!

14. HappyDrivin

HappyDrivin Member

Well, I just had my little one 2 months ago, so it's still all kinda fresh in my mind :) It seems like just yesterday I woke up about 2a.m. May 7th with pretty bad pains...This was my first baby, and was pretty sure it was labor, but not 100% sure. I started timing them and they were about 5 minutes apart, so I immediately called my doctor. (I had wanted to have a water birth, but because of my epilepsy, the midwife suggested I just stick with the doctors so I could be more closesly monitored during delivery)...anyways, by the time she called me back, they were coming every three minutes!! I thought that they wouldn't come on so strong right at the beginning! We had about an hour drive to the hospital and by the time we got there I was 5 cm dilated. I wanted to be tough and not get the epidural, but by 7 cm I couldn't handle it any longer...so I wussed out and got one :) But, it relaxed me sooo much and made me feel soo much better! My fiance and I were laughing and joking, listening to music the whole time...Then, all of a sudden I felt EXTREME pressure...and an intense urge to push. The nurse checked me, said I was ready, and I just burst into tears! I was about to meet my little boy!! The little boy I had seen on screen and heard the heartbeat...he was about to be in my arms and I could not wait!! I began pushing so hard...I worked harder than I had ever worked before!! My best friend from back home sent me a text message on my phone talking about how every life comes from the woman's womb and that really got me pumped! After about 30 minutes at 11:19 a.m. my son Evan James Forsyth was in my arms!! Seeing him was the most amazing and perfect thing that has ever happened to me and that will ever happen to me. Even though I was in the hospital, it was the most beautiful, womanly experience I could ever imagine...It made me proud to be a woman and proud of what our bodies are able to do!! The pain wasn't too bad, and it's allll worth it when you hold that tiny little baby in your arms!! Good luck to all the expecting mommies out there :)

15. Moro

Moro Member

My son was born on the 31st of July, 8 days before his due date.
    The evening before I'd been getting a few crampy feelings but it wasn't painful - just a little uncomfortable. When we got into bed I joked to my boyfriend Sean, "Don't be surprised if I wake you up in the middle of the night in labour."
    I woke up four times during the night needing to pee so I was getting suspicious that things might be moving along. Nevertheless it was such a shock when I woke up at 3am to my waters breaking. It was my first baby and I thought "Oh my god, this is actually real." I had such an adreneline rush.
    I woke Sean and told him my waters had broken. He looked a bit like 'what do we do now?'. I'd read about first births taking hours and hours so I figured we'd have heaps of time. I told him to go back to sleep and I'd have a shower.
    I stood in the shower trying to stay calm as all this adreneline rushed through me. I couldn't believe I was going to have a baby today!
    By the time I got out of the shower I was starting to have pains. I lay in bed with Sean and about 20 minutes later he said "They seem really close together." so we timed them and they were four minutes apart.
    Sean rang the midwife and our flatmate woke up. She rubbed my back through contractions and it helped a lot.
    The midwife said she'd meet us at the hospital at 5:30am. I was so glad we only lived down the road from the hospital so we didn't have to drive far. I was quite eager to get there though. The contractions weren't too bad at this point but I think I was scared about how bad they'd get.
    Sean txtd his mum who rang and said she'd meet us at the hospital.
    A little later at the hospital, the midwife said I was 3cms dilated, and ran a bath for me.
    I got in the bath and the first contraction I had in it was wonderful, I barely felt it, but after that I just started overheating, and sweating and wasn't very comfortable at all.
    I asked for the gas and got out of the tub and curled up in an armchair that was in the corner of the room.
    Now the contractions really hit me. I huffed on the gas hard but found that I really didn't like it. It did nothing for the pain and just made me feel out of control. I think that's where I lost my focus and the pain got on top of me. I asked for an epidural and the midwife left to get the anesthetists.
    I think it was only half an hour before they came but it felt like forever and I was screaming in pain.
    They gave me a spinal anesthetic first because they didn't want to do the epidural until I'd calmed down a bit. It was amazing. I felt no pain at all and my legs felt warm and tingly. I lay on the bed and relaxed.
    An hour later the spinal was starting to where off and they gave my the epidural. I remember sitting on the edge of the bed leaning on Sean and my legs were shaking a lot. There was a bit of a scary moment when the midwives couldn't find the baby's heartbeat but it was just in a difficult place. The epidural went smoothly (although when they were putting needles in my hands I saw they guy had a fair bit of blood on him. Apparently blood just squirted out. My blood pressure kept dropping for a while but they finally got it stabilized)and I could feel a lot of pressure between my legs. I went to the bathroom (which was difficult with all the things I was hooked up to.) and tried to pee but couldn't so the midwives got a catheter. They suggested that Sean go and get something to eat and stretch his legs and such but before he left they did an V/E and realised that the head was on its way (the pressure I'd been feeling), so Sean wasn't going anywhere.
    It was hard to push because I'd just had the epidural and couldn't feel any contractions. Sitting on the bed to push was making my back hurt, so they got me up on my knees, leaning over the head of the bed, which had been raised.
    An hour of pushing (7 hours of labour in total - real fast, though it didn't seem fast at the time), and then, at 10:35am, there he was! Toby-Jordan Ozzy Kahui, weighing 7lbs 3oz. He came out with an arm up by his head so I got a second degree tear. Sean says he saw me rip - probably something he wont forget in a hurry.
    It was amazing. I couldn't believe how tiny and beautiful and perfect this little boy was, even though one of the first things he did was pee on me.
    I loved him right away.
    Next time - if there is a next time - I think I'd prefer to just had Sean at the birth. Seans mum and our flatmate Tammy were lovely but I felt very self conscious the whole time.
    All in all, it was a wonderful experience. We left the hospital and came home at 5:30pm, 12 hours after we arrived. Sean and I lay in bed with our new son and marveled at what a miracle he was (and still is.)

16. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

right on!

17. honeyfugle

honeyfugle pumpkin

OK, thought I'd chip in my story of me and Hannah Rose.

I'd been in pain with labour the last 2 days so much I couldn't sleep, could barely move and could barely speak, until the morning of the 22nd of March, when I sat up in my bed after another sleepless night knowing something was different, it was the first pushing pain and it was an obvious one. Only problem was, my waters had not yet broken (nor would they ever, they were artificially broken) and when phoning the hospital, they brushed it off as early labour but to come in anyway to make sure. Good thing they did, as after an examination I was already 4cm dilated, shocking everyone including myself!
    After hobbling along into the labour room I requested a warm bath and It was delightful, the pains of labour seemed to just magicaly disappear. At around this time, my husband was frantically trying to get in touch with my parents who had their phones on silent so sent a barrage of text messages in the hope they'd get them!
    I was in the bath for hours, letting the warmth take over, until it was clear the pushing was too much and the baby was coming. At about 10am I was out of the bath and measured 10cm dilated, the baby was coming immenantly and there was no tme for drugs. 39minutes of natural labour and no pain relief whatsoever, Hannah Rose came into world and since then she's been the most important thing to me and my husband.

18. mamamojo

mamamojo Member

Friday, October 30th, 2009 my dear friend Kelly and my sister came to hang out. They both knew I was in labor before I was ready to commit to the idea. Kelly brought us white chicken chili and it was awesome. We all ate and hung out. Christi hung around for a bit and decided to take a couple more pictures of my ever growing belly. I am so glad she did because they were the last belly shots. I was having some crampy contractions and hanging out on the birth ball (where I hung out the last 2 weeks of pregnancy).

Kelly had to leave and at one point my sister and I decided to go for a walk to see if we could the contractions to pick up or stop. We put Journey down for a nap, Christi strapped Rieslin (my youngest niece) on her back and we went for a hike with my nephew, oldest daughter, and my other niece down this trail that my neighbor told me leads to a small creek about 1/2 a mile down. We walked with me stopping every 3-4min to contract. Seeing as how I had to stop for the contractions I gave into the idea that this was early labor. Keep in mind that I have never labored with regular contractions that could be timed with a bag of waters intact so this was a whole new experience for me. We walked for a quite a bit and didn't make it to the creek but seeing as how it was all downhill and I was in labor we decided to turn around and trek uphill before I couldn't make the hike. We made it back home and hung out some more.

Christi had to leave to go tend to her family and take her kids home cause it was definitely baby day! My hubby was at work and I was trying to wait until the last possible minute to call him home. I called the mw assistant (Terri) around 4ish and I remember calling Christi and begging her to come back because after Journey woke up I realized I really couldn't watch my kids and do the labor thing as hard as I tried. Funny thing is that she had only just walked through her door and I really thought she had been gone forever! When Christi got back here with my nephew in tow I climbed into the tub. I am guessing this was around 5ish, maybe a bit before. The water made things MUCH more manageable. In fact, my contractions stopped for about 20min after I got in and I thought, "Uh-oh, maybe this isn't labor after all!" I knew for sure when I felt a big pop in my belly around 6pm. Seriously, it was such a big pop that I was surprised I didn't hear it as well. I never felt that pop before but I knew it was my bag of waters. The next contraction confirmed that. I started to worry that Kris wouldn't make it. Terri checked me and I was only at 4cm but I know that my body goes from 4-10 fast and I had Christi call him. I was so relieved to see his face when he walked in. I was doing well with managing the labor but when I saw his sweet face I just lost it, I cried. He asked me, "Did you think I wouldn't make it?" I told him that I actually did think that and then I carried on about how much I loved him.

He disappeared shortly thereafter to shower and when he returned all I know is that I was in the zone. I could hear everyone talking and carrying on around me but I rarely opened my eyes to see them. It's like the pain was easier to cope with with my eyes closed. I remember feeling pushy and I told Terri who checked me and said I was only 6cm, I was so surprised because I was feeling the urge. Shortly thereafter my body was pushing anyway so I guess I progressed rather quickly (normal for me). I remember pushing and it was the best part. I know how to push and what it means and it's like seeing the finish line! At one point during pushing I said, "Man, I really thought that one was gonna be it." Everyone was laughing but I was serious. I felt like that push should have produced a head and it was only on the next push that her head presented and we discovered a nuchal hand. AHA! That is why she didn't come out when I thought she would. The I waited for another contraction to deliver her body though I remember saying I didn't want to wait for the contraction. I even tried to push without one but that did nothing so I waited patiently, well - as patiently as one can with a baby's head hanging out of her :lol: Another push delivered the body and I think it was only a total of 15min of pushing. The fastest pushing phase so far.

At 9:17pm Glory Grace was born at home, in the water weighing 8lbs 6oz and 20 1/2inches - the exact same stats as her sister Journey. We were all instantly totally in love with this sweet, angel faced baby. We were blessed to share this birth with my nephew, my two daughters, my sister, and my sweet friend Danielle who actually ended up giving me a shot of pit after the delivery because I was bleeding rather heavily.

Then 3am came and I was so happy Terri was staying the night. I was struck with afterbirth pains that were out of this world. I was so distraught, I felt like I did at 6cm and I was freaking out. I kept saying, "Somethings not right, this just isn't right." I was beside myself. I was scared which only intensified the pain. Terri prayed for me and talked me back from that ledge, she was amazing. God I love her!!! I ended up getting into the tub again and piggybacking Motrin with Tylenol for the next couple of days. I couldn't even walk without being doubled over for the next few days. I learned that afterbirth pains after a third child can be just as bad as labor and that it is totally normal for that to happen. I also had some serious issues peeing that resolved after about a week. This is common for me though - I dunno why it happens but my body refuses to pee after birth.

My sweet baby ended up being tongue tied and at a week old she had her tongue clipped which helped tremendously. She was removing milk just fine and weighed 8lbs 12oz at one week old but she was killing my breasts which were bleeding, scabbing and very very sore. Things are so much better now!

Sorry for the novel, but that's the story of Glory Grace.

Click the belly for a slideshow
    [​IMG]

19. CandiiRainbow

CandiiRainbow Member

I was really tired the day before but not enough to sleep so my mom suggested that Id go for a walk, my boyfriend came with me and we walked for nearly 2 hours..
    came home about 10pm, fell asleep at 11pm and woke up 2 hours later feeling weird and with labor pain
    took 20 minutes to wake my bf and get hin to help me stand up, called the hospital to check if there was an empty room in the "nest" (deliveryroom and resting room for mommys that dont want drugs or the hospital look, more homie :))
    there was an empty room so we went there and arrived around 4 am :)
    it was wonderful, hurt alot and I screamed.. yelled that I was just gonna stop and take a break and finish the day after.. hehe.. but at 7.39 my little girl was born :)
    the midwife couldnt take her away becouse the umbilical cord was too short so she had her on my lower back while my boyfriend cut the umbilical cord (I was like this: http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/HR-h1M_UYbY/hqdefault.jpg )
    Its been 19 months so the details are fuzzy.. they were fuzzy then too, hehe :)

20. Woodpoppies

Woodpoppies Member

Sooo many beautiful stories!!!