labels

Discussion in 'Coming Out and Confused!' started by Sunburst, May 26, 2004.

1. cauan

cauan Member

You guys and girls are just so amazing...would luv to meet u one of these days...
    thanx people, every single thing you said 'till now have really helped me think about it more clearly.
    I first asked you cuz I can feel it as very restrictive, but as soon as I read the buyer quote I sort of started seeing the other colors of ths spectrum.
    It doesn't mean tha I totally agree, I still don't at least in my case, but I will certanly think two or more times before stating anything simillar.
    thank you guys and girls.

1000 kisses and hugs - in Brazil we usually finish our letters sending kisses or things like that.

2. Bloody_Kisses

Bloody_Kisses Thizzler

i hate labels. i also hate that people put such emphasis on sexuality. why can we all just be who we want to be without being looked down on and ridiculed?

3. butterfly

butterfly Member

I totally agree. I guess those sort of labels are useful now, so you know who you're dealing with, but maybe one day we can just forget them, when everyone realises that they can just like whoever. If all the labels were removed completely then it would be, just, go with whoever you happen to like at that time, no restrictions, and no one would feel the need to comply with one label. BLISS!

4. peaceful420

peaceful420 Member

That's totally true. What people see you as doesn't have to be a single label. You don't have to label yourself in any way. Feel proud of who you are and of your feelings. Love is free, man. Don't let other people label you and knock you down. Labels are for cans, not people.

5. Mui

Mui Senior Member

a label isnt much of something you put on yourself, as much as it is as something people (or society) puts on you... because words are so very relative... we can all think different things from labels... what matters is your actions and whats really going on in your life, not what some label is supposed to mean.

6. WalrusKeeper

WalrusKeeper Member

A label is a semantic indicator; it is both harmless and necessary - when applied and revised by oneself.

I say I'm gay - that doesn't mean I'd never end up with a woman, just that I figure I am readily identifiable as a usually leaning in one direction.

Societal labels can be ignored. Make your own.

7. maryjaneguitargurl

maryjaneguitargurl I am just like you.

Because people are dumb and want to be in groups.. IM ALL ALONE NOT IN A GROUP ...ehehe

peace
    chickens

8. cauan

cauan Member

That's the other point. Labels are usually supposed to identify and put people together in groups of "this" or "that". I believe it cannot be done with something as subjective as sexuality, even though it is harmless it's just not a real thing, we're always more than just a man, just a guy, just a gay, gust a black girl or whatever, and that's my point. I also agree when its said that labels are not things put by you, but things the others put on you to justify their attitude towards you...at least that's the way it's been working in our society...I don't know..I'm just all confused about this matter. I see how valid it is to label yourself as "something" sexually speaking when discrimination is the rule, but I also believe that it could happen in any other way. I'm a black guy, so I do know the value of stating yourself as a black person, it is valid cuz then people are sure you are not prejudicious about who you are nonetheless I see that with sexuality things happen in another spectrum of conceptions.Wow i hope I made myself clear...

9. RazorBladeKist

RazorBladeKist Member

Hi.
    First off I'd just like to say that I am a new member here, but I did belong to the forums a while ago (as Vicious), and Rocknroll girl, I remember you, and you still Rawk...I see the Goddess Ani is still in your sig.

You know, I have been having this exact problem as of late. Mostly, because I am almost always sexually attracted to men. Always, occasionally a female will catch my eye, but it is a rare occasion, and usually there is an emotional attraction first. The reason I've been having so much trouble with this issue lately, is because I've fallen in love with a woman...My dear friend..whom over the past year I have developed an extremely powerful spiritual bond. Our relationship transcends gender and sexuality. Because of the deep emotional connection I feel toward her, I am also sexually attracted to her.
    Does this make me bisexual? No.
    Does this make me heterocurious? No.
    It makes me Sexual, it makes me Human.
    And that is my take on it for now..though I must admit...my takes have a way of changing...

*with silver kisses from steel blades*
    -Vic
    ^v^

10. Stalkz

Stalkz Member

I posted something in another thread a few seconds ago and it applies perfectly here so I'll quote myself.

Defining ANYTHING about yourself specifically restricts you to that one thing. If you call yourself gay and you're one day suddenly attracted to a girl, (and are a guy), then you're a hypocrite, and not gay anymore. Now you're bisexual.

or you could just not give it a name and go with whoever moves you at the time. It's the same as with religion or political views. If you call yourself Christian and start finding things within the bible that you disagree with then you're a bad christian and probably have to pick a new religion. If you just take ideas from wherever you find them and add them to your OWN beliefs, then you can add and subtract from them whenever you want.

11. meishka

meishka Grease Munky

societty demands lables. if we didn't have lables we could all live in harmony.

12. veinglory

veinglory Member

Harmony and confusion. Finding a sexual partner would depend entirely on trial and error as nobody would be able to describe their gender or orientation.

13. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

I don't necessarily think that labels are bad themselves, but there are too many people who try to fit a certain label/stereotype/whatever in order to try to define themselves and lose some of their individuality in the process. That's where the labels can be a nuisance, in my opinion.

14. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter