Kurt Cobain

Discussion in 'Music' started by blindhobosam, Jan 1, 2005.

1. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

who really cares about how damn good you are at guitar? or how good you sing for that matter? it was music, and damn good music too.

the lyrics were just as bad as the guitar. they dont really mean anything. it was the style they played in that was pretty revolutionary. if the nineties had to be summed up by one object i'd say nirvana.

who rates him anyway? how is he over-rated if everyone thinks he was over-rated, who's the person doing the rating?

2. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

He means alot to alot of people, when people can`t understand why the tend to attack. They never think it has anything to do with themselves that they don`t understand so the just presume it is the artist who is crap.

The misconception that he was crap at guitar baffles me, he rarely played long meticulous solos he played improvised ones that were appropriate for the song. He usually just played chords and very well. Unlike most he was very inventive with those chords 'Drain you' for instance has some tricky slides. Alot of Bleach has a lot of riffery that is not easy to play. He was never a poser like the so called gods of guitar, is that what people want? People went to punk to get away from that.

Attacking Cobains lyrics is silly, he said himself that alot of them were garbage. It is amusing when people attack someone for not doing what the don`t want to do.

3. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

im on cobain's side. i like nirvana if the end was directed to me

4. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

Oh no, this was not aimed at you. It was in answer to the people that have attacked him for his lyrics. You didn't attack them, infact your views are not different to mine in that we see the lyrics to his songs not as great poetry but silly images and sparse poetry of little importance.

5. WildChild12843

WildChild12843 Member

I've never listened to Nirvana so I can't really judge, but I don't like how people compare Kurt Cobain to Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison with the death at twenty-seven thing. I just don't see him as being in the same level with legends like that.

He died at the same age, but I don't think he had hit the same level that the other four had..it seems to me that the line ended with Jim. Maybe Kurt was creating a new line for more recent people, I don't know..

6. Peace_is_Free

Peace_is_Free Member

i love Kurt Cobain and could careless what other people think of him or anything else. everyone is allowed their opinon, and thats mine.

7. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

Kurt Cobain was vastly better than Jim Morrisson who really was a pretentious drunk idiot with no talent whatosever, he was a poser.

8. TheLizardQueen

TheLizardQueen horny for knowledge

overrated. his music isn't that great, but it is ok.

9. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

Nirvana were beter than Led Zeppelin, they had more substance as apposed to leather panted posing.

10. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

Lol, Kurt Cobain was a heroin addict that sucked at guitar in the right place at the right time. This guy is a joke. I could sit here all day and name people/bands I would rather listen to than Kurt Cobain and nirvana. This is the type of music for people who aren't much into music, but are into bitching poetry in the form of simple song. Seriously though, he shouldn't be considered a hero by anyone. What did he accomplish? He played in a punk/grunge band. What impact did he have on music? I don't hear grunge anywhere anymore. It was just the cool new thing that he cashed in on with his shitty licks and whiney poetry.

11. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

What??!!?!??!! Nirvana better than zeppelin? Dude zeppelin took music and changed it, and had an actual impact. Jimmy Page's guitar blows bloody shit all over Kurt Cobain's face when he plays. come on. That's got to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Even if Dave Grohl read that he'd probably piss himself laughing.

12. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

Jimmy Page is a posing show off, yes he is technically a great guitarist, this does not mean Led Zep are better songwriters. Someone that calls Nirvana "Whiney" clearly has not really listened and just assumed what everyone says about them is true. They rarely whinged in their songs. The claim that Led Zep are better based on the fact that they are better musicians displays a lack of understanding about pop music.

Nirvana songs are far more simple and yet far more powerful. Led Zeps lyrics are pretencious and Robert Palmer has said so himself.

13. zeppelinhippie89

zeppelinhippie89 Member

I think that if anyhting he was underrated.

14. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

this thread still has life in it i see.....

personally i think that kurt cobain was just this guy who was able to communicate to the youth at the time and was pretty good at guitar, nothing amazing, and quite talented at writing songs that meant nothing in particular, in my opinion they're in a different place to led zeppelin and can not and should not be compared.

15. flowerchild3

flowerchild3 Member

Ive read up on Kurt and his lyrics were true to him and his heart.... i think he was a very deep in thought person and i loved him for that. Peace

16. Veritas

Veritas Member

This is a ridiculous arguement, but Cobain was a good channeler of anger. If you are very pissed off Nirvana is good music to listen to.

17. UnspokenThings

UnspokenThings Member

i hate nirvana because they had a terrible sound, he had a terrible singing voice, and the songs were shit. hype is why they sold alot of albums.

grunge was why the early 90s sucked.

but pearl jam were worse. eddy vedder has THE most annoying singing voice ever

18. empathy

empathy Member

i love nirvana, i think kurt's song writing was great. although the whole grunge thing got played out way too much. led zeppelin? no, you can't beat led zeppelin. i mean lithium is like the perfect teenage angst lyrics, to me anyways...

19. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

He was a mediocre musician, but interesting as a person, though, he couldn't write or play guitar that well...

but he had a lot of feeling... which is what gets people, you know... :p

20. Ocean Byrd

Ocean Byrd Artificial Energy

Dude, that is the biggest crock of shit I've seen posted against Kurt Cobain. Who cares what his lyrics were, what were they about? What inspired them? I like Nirvana for the same reason that I like Korn; the emotion that the songwriter/lead singer puts into the music.

Something in the Way is beautiful as it is a song about a time in Kurt's life when he was homeless, and lived under a bridge. Just the expression there... and the talent that is required to play instruments, and sing, and write music. Anybody who can't think like this isn't a fan of music in my eyes.