Kurt Cobain

Discussion in 'Music' started by blindhobosam, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Ann-Akim

Ann-Akim Member

you know, a year ago Kurt Cobain came into my dream, and then I came to psychiatrist

2. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

hahahaha classic

3. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

he was pretty cool. i liekd his artwork. he seems pretty down to earth, like we could be friends, like we could relate

4. FemmeFatale

FemmeFatale Member

Kurt Cobain...I don't really know what to say about him. He was a pop culture icon who...sucked at guitar and made crappy lyrics seem poetic?

5. deathschmelda

deathschmelda Member

as for those kids killing themselves because kurt killed himself i believe the term is "natural selection"

6. SimpleMan

SimpleMan Member

I believe he was at the right moment at the right time with his music. He wasn't that good at the guitar/

7. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

no, i see what you're saying. i dont know if i agree with it or not because i dont feel like thinking about it at this time, but good point... it think maybe

8. digitalldj

digitalldj Canucks ftw!

...overrated

9. Sunny Afternoon

Sunny Afternoon Member

An average guy with a whole bunch of drug and depression problems. Nothing special.

10. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

...A voice of a generation who could actually transmit feelings to which teens could relate.

His lyrics/ voice/ or music are not necessarily good... but they were, and still are extremely powerful.

11. jimi420

jimi420 Member

I think he is defiently over rated just like every one else has already stated but nirvana still had a few decent songs. I could never get into to it though, I mean im a better guitarist than him and I dont get millions of dollars.

12. JanaXGIRL

JanaXGIRL Senior Member

I fell in love with him several days ago... I love that man...

13. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

Fuck Kurt Cobain!

14. JanaXGIRL

JanaXGIRL Senior Member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

15. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

Seriously.... he was just a whiny little bitch with a miniscule amount of talent and, obviously, a tiny penis... since Courtney Love was the only chick he could get to fuck him. That alone should clue you in that he wasn't worth shit. Nirvana was okay.... I'll listen to them if they come on the radio most of the time, but Kurt was by no means a musical genius, like all these little 16 year-olds I see toting around Kurt Cobain lunch boxes from Hot Topic keep trying to convince me that he was. He wasn't. He's dead. There's lots of real talent still out there..... go find it!

16. Elle

Elle Senior Member

Why does it matter if he was a "musical genius" or not? Alot of people, myself included, like his music for what it is. Simply said. It's all a matter of personal taste. Just because he's dead doesn't mean anything - Many musicians who are dead still sell albums and gain new fans everyday.

17. Becknudefck

Becknudefck Senior Member

Overrated. His lyrics were ok, but he wasn't that great at guitar. NIrvana the whole band was good though, they just pretty much left out the other 2 guys.

18. flowerchild17

flowerchild17 I practice safe sax.

To me, Kurt Cobain is a very inspirational person. Note there I didn't say musician, becuase his guitar playing sucked.

Kurt led a very hard life. He grew up on couchs and under bridges in Seattle, and the only salvation he had was his radio, his writing, and his acoustic guitar. When Nirvana made they debut in '89 (I think it was '89, not 100% sure) they were just another band, but their new sound, style, and power (as Pavel said) is what made them famous, and that's exactly what Kurt didn't want. He just wanted to be a club musician who could make enough money to eat and have a place to sleep, it was the media who made him a star, not himself. He was often quoted to say "If there's a course called Rock Star 101, I'd like to take it please. I bet it'd help me out a lot."

Fame and an already bruised soul from a troubled teen life is what drove Kurt over the edge into taking his own life. His lyrics really touch something in me, and his voice sends chills up my spine. I bought a vinyl of the "black" album once when I was incredibly depressed and I had to count pennies to pay for it. And the last note on "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" at 3 am when I'm crying in the dark with one candle lit... I don't know what it did to me, but fuck if it didn't do something. It certainly sent chills up my spine and truly made me realize what an incredible person he was. He's always been an inspiration to me, if not as a musician, as a person/songwriter. I think Nirvana is a great band that just got too much of a good thing.

I think this quote is a really great quote, it was written by a writer who saw the "Unplugged" show of Nirvana in Feburary of '93:

"This (music) is the world Kurt Cobain built for himself, when the real world was not enough. Listen again if you think you know it, listen loud if you don't know it yet.
    Then Build your own."

That's basically what I'm doing in life. I'm building a world around music, becuase everything else isn't enough to keep me going anymore. My sax and my bass get me through terrible times when people who love me and my own willpower aren't enough. I would never want to lead the short and beautifully tragic life he led, bu that life made a difference in the life of so many people, including me.

RIP Kurt - Thank you

19. jimi420

jimi420 Member

now how do you follow that up?

20. BackdoorGirl

BackdoorGirl Member

Yeah, he's overrated... like everybody said.
    Nevertheless he HAD GOOD LYRICS.... but the man sucked at guitar =((