Kubrick

Discussion in 'Movies' started by dedhead95, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Member

2001: A Space Odyssey

Beautiful film, extremely artistically done, very enjoyable, thought-provoking, etc. Kubrick rules.

2. m6m

m6m Member

Nightwanderer, you are so right-on about 'Eyes Wide Shut'.

I've seen it for the second time, and I got even more out of it the second time.

One of the most insightful films about the many unspoken aspects of marriage that I have ever seen.

Every single scene is pregnant with our unspoken subconscious sexual impulses.

So I understand why most of us would rather sweep this film under the rug.

Just as remarkable is that YOU understand this at the age of 18!!

Nightwanderer, YOU are light-years beyond where I was at 18!!

3. nightwanderer

nightwanderer Member

Thank you very much! I'm so glad to see that someone else understands and thinks the same way as I do about this film. I figured all id get would be arguements from people, especially after my rambling on the second time.

4. dedhead95

dedhead95 The Wizard of Rhythm

did anyone know that kubrick originally was going to make "A.I. artifical inteligence"? but he told speilberg, before he died, to take on role as director.

5. nightwanderer

nightwanderer Member

I knew, but I haven't seen it yet. Though I'm a big fan of Spielberg at all(but i did like Schindlers list), I do want to check out the film sometime. I guess Kubrick kind of kept the project on hold for a few years to wait until the special effects were good enough to start production.

6. clockworkorangeagain

clockworkorangeagain femme fatale

hmm can you guess? although i havent seen the majority of his films....

7. hippyman

hippyman Member

Definately 2001. It's a look at mankinds past and future histories. From the dawn of man, to discovering a new species, it's a magnificent work of art. By far my favorite sci-fi film.

8. dweezil111

dweezil111 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

A clockwork orange. Besides being a great film, it has the line, "come and get one in the yarbles if you have any yarbles" cracks me up every time i hear it.

9. V-Agent

V-Agent Member

Yeah, it is a rather flawed movie and makes little sense, except when you contemplate this: Cruise's character's wife was at the party - she was the woman on the balcony who looked at him when he first walked into the ballroom.
    When I watched it, it's the first thing that struck me, and without that, it really wouldn't make any sense, so I think that's "the trick" so to speak.

Fave Kubrik movie?

2001, A Space Odyssey by a head and shoulder.
    Maybe it's the cool hardware, maybe it's HAL 9000, maybe it's the Pod Bay door sequence, but whatever it is, not only is it my fave Kubrik Movie, but possibly my fave movie of all time.
    It's definately an aquired taste, but somehow, I just can't get enough of it.

(Sci-Fi nut)